Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
mauram62
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 won't open CR2 files

Dec 14, 2010 7:00 AM

I am working with Photoshop CS5 and a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS. The photos are taken off the camera with Image Capture, and put into the Pictures folder by default. A JPEG and CR2 file are imported. I cannot open the CR2 file – I have checked the plug in, and it is the 6.3 plug-in. Any ideas on what may be wrong would be appreciated. I've gone through the Adobe help files and tried the solutions listed...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 21, 2010 10:49 PM   in reply to mauram62

Are you able to see previews of the raw images in bridge? If yes, did you try -  right click - open with camera raw? If no, try manually reinstalling the raw plugin.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2010 11:55 AM   in reply to mauram62

On a mac you would use comman+r or use the file menu and select open in camera raw. Also, yes, cr2 files differ from every camera, but your camera is supported http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html ... Using canon's software works well if you are working with a few photos, but ACR or lightroom is the way to go if you are going to be working with raw images on a regular basis, or if you will be processing more then a few photos at a time.

Last thing to try before you give up and reinstall cs5. open up photoshop and either go file -> open and select your raw images, or click and drag your files into photoshop. If neither way launches ACR save yourself anymore troubleshooting and reinstall CS5 (at least that is what I would do)

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Dec 24, 2010 1:55 PM   in reply to mauram62

Can you post one of the raw files online and provide a link?  Someone here can try to open it to ensure it's not a problem with the file itself.

There was a time that there was a Windows problem with importing a JPEG and CR2 at the same time with certain camera models, but I thought that had been solved.  Are you set to record a raw file and a JPEG both?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Oct 6, 2011 9:42 AM   in reply to dan3430

I just had the same issue as I changed my camera from 450D to 60D and was told that the plug in(CS 5) did not support. Appreciate any advice how to reinstall / update the plug in ?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2011 10:15 AM   in reply to Greg Tan

Greg Tan wrote:

I just had the same issue as I changed my camera from 450D to 60D and was told that the plug in(CS 5) did not support. Appreciate any advice how to reinstall / update the plug in ?

Note, you've added a message to a thread whose last post Dec 2010...

The way to update Camera Raw is to go to the Camera Raw Product Page or to simply Check for Updates in Photoshop CS5. Where to look for the update command differs based on your OS.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Oct 6, 2011 10:42 AM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Jeff Schewe wrote:

...simply Check for Updates in Photoshop CS5...

Photoshop has not announced to you that updates are available?

What happens when you choose Help - Updates... from the Photoshop menu?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2011 7:32 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Thanks for all the advices.....yes I should have checked the updates......my previous plug in was v 6.0....and had been replaced with v 6.5...it works now.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points