Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Pantone solid to process conversion using Adobe Illustrator CS5

Dec 18, 2010 5:16 AM

Hello everyone.

I´m having a little problem converting a solid color to process using the Adobe Swatch Libraries.

I own a Pantone Color Bridge Coated and Uncoated set books and I chose the color 3262 C for a client of mine.

On the book the equivalent process color for this solid one is C 76 M 0 Y 38 K 0.

But, when I select the same solid color on Adobe Illustrator, and I ask to convert to process, the software is giving me different CMYK coordinates. The software is showing the "correct" process color equivalent to 3626 C is C 78 M 0 Y 32 K 0.

Ok, now my questions:

- Which one I should consider as the most accurate solid to process conversion? The book or the Adobe conversion?

- Maybe my Adobe Illustrator is not updated? I downloaded the digital Libraries from Pantone web site and I´m still getting this mismatch.

- Maybe the book is not updated ? I just bought the "Pantone Plus Series" this week - it´s the most update book of Pantone!).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 18, 2010 6:27 AM   in reply to Danilo Salvego

I assue 3626 was a typo.

to tell you the truth though pantone is pretty good lots of the time I often disagree with them myself. I kind of think that Illustrator could be doing a better job in this case.

What is your judgment?

However when I click on the swatch to get to the swatch options and select CMYK and the Process and global I get 71 C and 33 Y so It aapears hw you make this conversion that counts.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 18, 2010 7:30 AM   in reply to Danilo Salvego

Well take a look at this and see what you think I think it is in fact the same color break that Pantone gives you and Illstrator accurately converts it depeneding on how you make he conversion.

Screen shot 2010-12-18 at 10.23.36 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-12-18 at 10.23.57 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-12-18 at 10.24.09 AM.png

I forgot to post the conversion to process

Screen shot 2010-12-18 at 10.29.03 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2010 10:57 AM   in reply to Danilo Salvego

The only conversion to CMYK I get for Pantone 3263 U with my book and illustrator is the C 71, Y 33, I would question the book with the C 76, Y 38, conversion. What is the date on the book? Is the book made for some spicific process of printing i.e. Flexo or Screen printing? Where did you get this book? Perhaps these are the newest and best tables to use, but I don't have them and I question if they are.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 21, 2010 11:17 AM   in reply to Danilo Salvego

OK, I just went to the North American Pantone site and they have a tool called My Pantone X-Ref for looking up most current conversions.

http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/color_xref.aspx

If I put the solid coated PMS book to convert to the bridge color you get the C 76, Y 38 build. This is the most current table and best to use IMHO.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points