Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do you lock the Image Frame and Contents frame together?

Dec 21, 2010 11:44 AM

Hi

InDesign CS4 question.

I should have asked this a long time ago, but I got used to just dragging a big image frame and then switching to the white selection arrow and moving the contents to where I want it and then dragging the cropping frames to the size.

Then positioning the image and within it.

But there are time when I just want to drag the image to another location.

Sometimes I can and sometimes I can't.

When it will not move the two frames at the same time how do I lock them together.

I really looked for a solution but I must not be describing what I'm trying to do because I can't find anything.

Any help appreciated!

Mike

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 21, 2010 12:09 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

Use the selection tool (black arrow) for positioning the frame. The content will come along for the ride. The dierect select tool is for manipulating the content inside the frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2010 2:16 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

I've never seen that happen, and as far as I know it shouldn't be possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2010 2:48 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

It sounds almost like you have two frames, one in front of the other.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2010 8:03 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Are you absolutely certain the frame is moving, and not the image? Each has an independent bounding box The one for the frame matches the color code assigned to the layer, the one for the image is differernt -- for the deafult layer 1, this would be light blue for the frame and brown for the image) Is there a stroke on the frame so you could tell?

I'm wondering if you might be double-clicking the frame before moving, that would select the content and switch to the direct select tool, so you would be moving the image and leaving the frame behind.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2010 8:56 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

If it continues to happen, I suggest you trytrashing your prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

You should also be able to select the frame and choose fitting aoptions to get the image back inside (ore use one of the buttons on the control panel). But this still sounds like a case of two frames. These aren't converted Pagemaker files with keylines around  images, are they? Pagemaker required a separate stroked rectangle that was grouped with the image by the plugin. ID can stroke the image frame directly, but I suspect a converted file might still have the extra rectangle, particulary if the two parts had been ungrouped (that used to drive me crazy when I did ads for real estate brokers and auto dealers with lots of photos when I worked for a newspaper that was PM-based).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2010 5:24 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

And to you..

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2013 11:45 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

hey it might be to lat but i found how to do it you have to right click on the image and go to fitting then frame fitting option and there will be a check box that says Auto-Fit click it and now every time that you want to re-size your box he image will re-size automatically to the box.

home this helps

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

I've reread this and a poosibilty we missed earlier is yo ar moving the frame with the direct select tool, That could happen if you've double-clicked, too.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points