• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BSOD - A Serious Issue

LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2011 Jan 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A BSOD is a major problem, and is very often a sign of hardware issues. The main causes are:

Heat buildup - in the CPU, or the HDD's

RAM - bad, or going bad

PSU - going bad, or improperly connected

MoBo - going bad

This ARTICLE will link to tools that will help you track those elements, and possibly show the bad element, or potentially bad element.

I would also change Reboot on Error, to OFF, so that you can write down the report on the BSOD. There might be something in that load of "abstract code" that will be helpful, but maybe not. Also, when one reboots after a BSOD, Windows will usually yield an error message to the effect of "Windows has recovered from a serious problem... " and will often help you trace the issue. Also, this ARTICLE will give you tips for finding clues as to what was happening, just before the BSOD.

This ARTICLE will give one tips on setting up their computer for an editing session.

This ARTICLE, though directed at PrPro, will be useful for troubleshooting.

If nothing else works, see this ARTICLE.

Before doing anything else, I would solve the BSOD issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

TOPICS
Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2011 Jan 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also see these articles, for potential resource issues:

Windows Virtual Memory ARTICLE.

Window Indexing ARTICLE, as this function can cause all sorts of issues, as files can get locked, and the NLE cannot access them, while the indexing is on-going.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2011 Feb 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a bad driver, one that is acting out, or is corrupt, can also yield a BSOD, the above article on finding clues, can be very helpful in tracking down a software induced BSOD.

Again, if you are getting a BSOD, address THAT first, before trying any other troubleshooting - something is very wrong.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2011 Mar 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possible cause of a BSOD is a driver conflicting with the OS. This ARTICLE will give you tips on tracking down clues, as to what might be happening.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Often, one can track a BSOD down, and especially if it's a bad, or corrupt driver, by using the Event Viewer.

Here is a look at the Event Viewer from XP-Pro, with some error and warning messages, and showing one error message, which also has a link in it:

Event_Viewer.png

Depending on one's version of Windows, the location of Event Viewer, plus the look of it, might be different.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2011 Nov 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just finished installing a new PS and that seems to have solved the hard crashes, that and the cpu was covered in dust.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2011 Nov 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, in the case that you outlined in your thread, the PSU would have been my prime suspect too.

As heat, in many components can cause shut downs, and as video editing stresses many components, producing heat, having everything clean, with good airflow is always a good thing. Glad that the PSU cleared it up for you.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Bill, for the fast reply.

i think i saw one of your earlier replies, which was very helpful in helping me through the checklist of potential causes.  I've ruled out the typical suspects, including bad memory. 

i recently discovered furthermore that the problem happens even when trying to make a bd image, so the issue isn't necessarily related to the drive.

also this blue sreen only occurs in Encore when trying to make a bluray disc or image, no other time.

in the details i uploaded, can you see anything specific that might be causing this issue?

thanks again for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could this be caused by something as mundane as memory?  I have 4GB installed on Windows 7 HP.   I could go to 8 GB.   I thought that insufficient memory would just slow things down, not cause a system crash...

I've tried already to just burn an image ICO, but that didn't work.

Looking at the error message detail, it seems there is a paging error?  So this is memory related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looking at the error message detail, it seems there is a paging error?  So this is memory related.

If the errors are related to Page File, then it is a memory/resources issue. This article goes into more detail on Windows Page File (Virtual Memory): http://forums.adobe.com/thread/632449?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines