Skip navigation
marygrimsley
Currently Being Moderated

Any way to make text larger in Photoshop CS 5 Extended?

Jan 2, 2011 9:46 PM

I recently upgraded from CS3 and the tool labeling text is too small to be able to see on the toolbars. The icons seem smaller too. I need to use a magnifying glass now and didn't need to do that with CS3. I did look through Photoshop's prefs (the main ones, accessible by pulling from the menu under Photoshop's name), but couldn't find an option for altering the display. (I have "huge size" font selected for the font selection in the display for font choices--that's not the problem.) It appears from here that the programming for Photoshop's basics has just miniaturized everything. I haven't made any alterations to my computer or screen that could account for the problem, so I'm supposing that everyone has that? I had assumed it must be a problem with running Photoshop CS5 on Leopard, but the upgrade to Snow Leopard didn't help.

I'm aware that the operating system has a system pref for zooming. I've tried that once in awhile for something other; I think that using the system's zooming while trying to operate in Photoshop will be more inconvenient than using a magnifying glass.

My eyesight is imperfect, but it wasn't perfect on CS3 either. I'm running Photoshop on the same computer & monitor as when previously running CS3: 24" iMac 2.8 GHz with 4 GB RAM.

Mary

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 2, 2011 10:13 PM   in reply to marygrimsley

I do not have perfect vision either but it looks he same to me!

I am wrong and you are correct it is considerably smaller I do not know why they would do such a thing. Or if it can be changed i am fine with it, my eyesight is actually getting much bette as I get older but still i think it is a big mistake to do this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2011 2:28 AM   in reply to marygrimsley

You could start another thread on the issue of customizable interface font sizes in the Feature Request Forum or look for existing ones to add your support to.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/photoshop_feature_requests

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2011 3:21 AM   in reply to marygrimsley

To change the font size for Photoshop's user interface, simply go up to the Photoshop menu at the top of the screen (Edit menu in Windows), choose Preferences, and then choose General. You'll see an option near the top of the Preferences dialog box called UI Font Size. Simply select a different size from the menu.

You'll need to close out of Photoshop and restart it for the change to take effect.

See if that doesn't help.  If you can't find this option then make sure you have the latest updates.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2011 7:51 AM   in reply to sperry1975

sperry 1975 is absolutely correct, thank you sperry 1975.

Screen shot 2011-01-04 at 10.46.32 AM.png

Thank you sperry 1975.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2011 12:40 PM   in reply to marygrimsley

I am willing to do you a favor. I will ship my 2000 iMac G3 with a 1024x768 display to you if you will ship me your iMac. 

Switching to a non-native resolution for your display (1920x1200 -> 1344x840) will not help when trying to do pixel accurate editing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2011 1:32 PM   in reply to marygrimsley

Nope. The iMac is a museum piece in my closet. I waited too long to sell it (similar iMacs on eBay are now ~$20). And I'd probably need to fill out 50 pages of forms to dispose in a dump. I'll save it for someone else in your same position.

Something still seems odd about this. Can you post screen shots to compare CS3 and CS5?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2011 2:49 PM   in reply to marygrimsley

I'm not really seeing a difference between CS3 and CS5. A CS3 screen has been pasted on your CS5 screen. CS3 had a bit of padding to the toolbar but the icons look alike in size.

CS5-CS3.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points