Skip navigation
retiredr
Currently Being Moderated

Black screen

Jan 4, 2011 5:42 AM

Mac user OS 10.6.5, Safari 5.0.3.  Several weeks ago tried to download a form from the Gov an was told I need to have Adobe Reader Ver 9 or higher.  Download Adobe Ver 10.  Went back to the Gov site and tried down load the form again.  Screen was black.  Address bar showed that I was on the page to be downloaded.  Contacted Gov help, said not their problem.  Sent an e-mail to Adobe, no response.  Have tried to download Ver 9.4, same problem black screen.  Can't use the orginally installed Ver 7.  Nothing but black screens.  Tried using the help from Adobe, no help.  What do I need to do to correct this problem?  Is it something that I did wrong?  Heelllpp!

Thanks,

Jim

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2011 7:28 AM   in reply to retiredr

Try to check this option: Edit > Preferences > Page Display > Show Large Images

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2011 9:38 AM   in reply to retiredr

Could you share the link to this file?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2011 9:50 AM   in reply to retiredr

The file itself is fine. Try saving it locally and then double-clicking it

instead of opening it in your browser.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2011 10:14 AM   in reply to retiredr

I suggested it as a way of locating the problem through deduction, not as

what you should do from now on.

By the way, mixing versions like that is not recommended. You should try

uninstalling everything and then installing just one version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2011 4:49 AM   in reply to try67-Ack7pB

I have exactly the same problem.  I've reinstalled Reader X several times and still get black screen whenever I try to open a pdf.  This wasn't a problem before I upgraded to X.  Please help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2011 4:52 AM   in reply to callie4512

One other thing.  When I look at the "more info" in the application, there's a box that says "open in 32 bit mode", which is checked.  I have Snow Leopard.  Thought this might be the problem, but when I unchecked it, still got black screen. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 3:57 PM   in reply to retiredr

Amazingly, I found that the problem goes away when I use the Chrome browser!!  Have no idea why.  It's the only browser I can use to get a pdf.  Try that, and see if it  works for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2011 11:32 PM   in reply to retiredr

Hi Jim,

I am using MAC OS 10.6.6 (latest update from MAC) with Safari 5.0.3

I am able to download and view 1010EZ form in my safari (from the link you provided). Also I can see links to start filling application online in pdf forms as well as I am able to download the form to fill it offline. Did not see any Black Screen.

Can you check that you are able to open other pdfs in safari. Browse for some PDF on net or open any pdf present in your system in Safari. Also is Reader X your default application to open pdfs in Safari? You can check that by opening a plist file in any plist editor. Open file: /Library/Preferences/com.adobe.acrobat.pdfviewer.plist and check key WebBrowserUsePath. This should point to Adobe Reader application. Also check version of /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin. This should be 10.0.

Thanks,

Karan

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points