Skip navigation
Mike Nuzzo
Currently Being Moderated

Rotate Page Tool or Artboards?

Jan 6, 2011 9:09 PM

Howdy

Does Illustrator CS5 have the ability to Rotate the page tool or artboards?

I have a large design that I also print out individual pieces at 100% scale.

Some times the pieces will not fit on a single piece of paper in landscape or portrait.

If I rotate the entire design I can get the element to fit diagonally on the paper.

My end product is both the large design and the individual designs.

Currently I have to create separate files to print out the individual designs - which are part of the total design.

I now have duplicate files that need to be updated - no good.

My designs have hundreds of layers with combinations of hidden and locked elements.

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 6, 2011 9:38 PM   in reply to Mike Nuzzo

you have Illustrator CS5--do you also have Indesign CS5 or CS4?

IF you do....you can place your illustrator files into an Indesign document and rotate them there--so they fit on your paper (then if you change part of the design in an illustrator file--opening the Indesign file will update or ask you if you want to update links). End result should allow you to do what you want---if I'm understanding correctly what you mean by 'individual designs' and 'total design.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 9:57 PM   in reply to Mike Nuzzo

"Can I create an 18 page InDesign file with the Illustrator file  imported 18 times."  --  yes

"Will I be able to turn on and off layers from  within InDesign?" --  not sure with CS3.

CS4 and CS5 can do this--the placed files need to be .ai files--you right click the placed art and get a flyout menu with a choice being 'Layer Options'.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 12:18 AM   in reply to Mike Nuzzo

With multiple artboards in CS4 or CS5 you can have artboards in both portrait and lanscape mode (as well as various sizes). Your limitation is the CS3.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2011 6:30 AM   in reply to Mike Nuzzo

No. Artboards define printable areas. Paper in your printer will also be either landscape or portrait - disegarded the variation caused by improper paper feeding that is.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points