Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator CS4, new Pantone color books, color channel issue

Jan 7, 2011 7:59 AM

Since I installed the new Pantone color books, I've been running in a major issue which will affect our whole production line.

If an Illustrator CS4 file contains a Photoshop CS4 image which is using an "old" Pantone color in a color channel, it cannot be opened and I get an error message "File is unreadable". If I replace the "old" Pantone colour with its new equivalent in the color channel in Photoshop, the file can be opened normally.

In our work environment, this means going through all our images to check which one is using a color channel. A painful and time wasting procedure. Furthermore, if one of our suppliers doesn't have the new color books, they won't be able to open any of the files, both Photoshop and Illustrator, so they have no way to revert back to the old Pantone.

Is there another way to fix this?

Thank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2011 3:37 AM   in reply to PantoneIssue

Yes, I've just come up against this problem and it is going to cause a lot of problems. I have recently installed the new Pantone+ library into Adobe and have suddenly found that files created prior to that weren't opening....these were Illustrator files that had a Photoshop image linked to it ('File not readable!). Fortunately, I checked here first and have been able to change the Pantone colours in a Photoshop file to the Pantone+ ones which then allowed the urgent Illustrator job to open. The bad news is that this will happen on all my older Illustrator artworks that have Photoshop files linked.....nightmare!

Adobe should've made it clearer that this problem would occur and they very quickly need to create a patch or something to correct it.

So for anyone reading this, (it's probably because you've installed the new system and are having problems) it's too late and you're in the same boat as us. Anyone reading this who hasn't installed the new Pantone+ yet....think carefully! Do you want this hassle?

Unfortunately, I had little choice as I handle artwork from external repro houses and had to install the new Pantone system to open the files they were sending.

What a pain!!!!

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 8, 2011 7:14 AM   in reply to PantoneIssue

I had the same and issue on a new machine, so did my supplier.

In the end I was able to trace it down to a permissions issue. I tried to re-install from Pantone's installer, no luck.

However when I transferred the files manually from a Timemachine backup copy. No problems!

So in the end I sent the swatch files to the supplier and he was also able to open it up as well.

I hope this helps

James

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points