Skip navigation
Adjofilm
Currently Being Moderated

Is Camtasia a good option with Premiere Pro CS5?

Jan 9, 2011 3:11 AM

As a user of CS5 Production Premium Suite, I have this question:

would TechSmith's Camasia Studio 7 (Screen Recording & Video Editing Software) conflict with Adobe software as mentioned, and especially Premiere Pro CS5 if installed on the same computer (Windows 7 Prof)?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 9, 2011 3:26 AM   in reply to Adjofilm

would TechSmith's Camasia Studio 7 (Screen Recording & Video Editing Software) conflict with Adobe software as mentioned, and especially Premiere Pro CS5 if installed on the same computer (Windows 7 Prof)?

No. But looking at the title of the thread, Is Camtasia a good option, yoiu have to be aware that TechSmith's codec's can give trouble. Your best option is to export with Lagarith or UT.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2011 7:24 AM   in reply to Adjofilm

No problem at all.  I'm using it here.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2011 7:27 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

With the 64-bit version of TSCC included in Camtasia Studio version 7.1, the Camtasia codec works just fine in CS5.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2011 3:58 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

From what I've seen, Harm and Jeff are both right. I.e., the older versions of the codecs caused problems, but it seems that people are having much better luck with the new codecs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 12:51 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Good news, and I suppose that time has come to retire my old Camtasia Editing article. Life has changed, and for the better.

Appreciated everyone!

Hunt

PS - I started to link that article here, but when I saw that Jeff had posted, knew that he'd have updated info, as he was the prime contributor to that old article. Glad I waited and read...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 1:10 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I have one workflow where I edit and output back to Camtasia and unfortunately the 64 bit codec doesn't seem to show up in Media Encoder as an option...recently I had to load the project is CS4 to be able to output back to the Camtasia codec (I export to Cantasia AVI and use QuickTime Pro to encode to H264 because...well, it's more efficient, better looking and more compatible than Media Encoder's H264 output)...

So...verify that Media Encoder sees a Camtasia codec in CS5 if you need to encode to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 11:51 PM   in reply to Adjofilm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJr560bqLyA

You can click the URL to watch my video. Camtasia woud be a wise option if you did not have PP but since you have PP FRAPS might be your best bet. I am not sure if it will work with PP CS5 because I have PP CS4. FRAPS is only $38.00 and can record on screen video much better than Camtasia ever could. I hope my video helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2011 11:59 AM   in reply to Adjofilm

If you installed the program its either in Program Files which is 64 bits or Program Files (x86) which is 32 bits.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2011 12:02 PM   in reply to Adjofilm

The Camtasia installer should install the 64-bit version of the codec if it detects a 64-bit system.  You can tell if it installed correctly by opening the Pr CS5 Export Settings dialog, selecting Microsoft AVI as the Format, and then examining the Video Codec drop-down list under the Video tab.  If TechSmith Screen Capture Codec is listed, then the 64-bit version of the codec is installed and implemented correctly.

For your other questions, you'll have to ask TechSmith directly.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2011 1:21 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

You will definitely want to check the export options Jeff mentioned because in my case CS5 edits Camtasia AVIs just fine, which means that the 64 bit codec loaded...at least to read (decode).  I did not have it available for export...that's a tech issue I need to follow up with them (techsmith) on.

-TimK

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2011 5:09 PM   in reply to Tim Kolb

Things may have changed in the latest version of Camtasia but when I used to import the Camtasia codec into Premiere the cursor and surrounding area would almost appear smeared or smudged with trailings. It did not happen all the time but it was odd when it did. I never knew when it would or would not act up. Did anyone else have that happen?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2011 12:57 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Jeff, could you please elaborate on your process for exporting a video from Camtasia, pulling it into Premiere, and exporting it again? I have followed all the steps mentioned here but I still cannot get anything but blurry and shaky results, so hopefully the error is my own.

Thanks,

Ian

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2011 3:39 AM   in reply to Ian Connel

I've been working on a tutorial to demo just that workflow.  I hope to have it ready in a few/several days.  I go all the way up to preparing sequences for export from Pr, but not to actually exporting.  Including variations for exporting would have lengthened the tutorial unbearably.  I'll cover exporting to different formats, with different workflows and tools, later on.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
  • Admiral Cook
    169 posts
    Jul 3, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2011 4:41 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

I've found that PICVideo MJPEG gives good results.

It's available in both, 32-bit and x64 versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to Adjofilm

I have been using CS5 and Camtasia 1.0 but updated the TSCC codec downloaded from TechSmith with good results. I recommend 15 fps. The 64-bit codec can be downloaded from TechSmith: http://techsmith.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2793/kw/adobe/re lated/1

This MAY be the one packaged with Camtasia7, but I can't confirm that. You may still need to ignore Alpha channel (per other posts) if the clips appear all black frames.

Hope this helps!

ExportTSCC.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2012 3:52 PM   in reply to dean.wilson@comcast.net

I used to use Camtasia, but rather than upgrade, I found CamStudio - a free program that seems to work OK for me.

http://camstudio.org/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points