Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Player won't load

Jan 9, 2011 3:39 AM

I am using Vista 32 bit and IE 8.  Until yesterday, I have had no issues with Flash Player.  Yesterday, however, games I play on Shockwave were telling me to download the flash player.  I have, MANY times, to no avail.  I have used the Uninstaller, rebooting my computer each time.  I downloaded the flash player from the distribution site (a suggestion in another thread) and rebooted my computer, to no avail.  I don't see evidence of the program on my computer or as an add-on, if I am supposed to see it there.  Can someone please help me?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 9, 2011 12:33 PM   in reply to cc143most

Hi, Sounds like you did the right things. However, after downloading the Installer from the distribution site, did you Install it?

Did you download it to your Desktop? There is a procedure to follow, when Uninstalling and Installing Flash Player, so maybe you just missed a step or two.

You must use the Administrator Account also and I assume you did, but just wanted to remind you.

I'll find the links for you and post back and you can try again and follow the procedure.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2011 12:41 PM   in reply to cc143most

Hi, Following are the instructions for you. Be sure to follow them. Print them out if you like.

Hi, thanks. Try this: Download and SAVE the Uninstaller to your Desktop:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Then go to this site and Download and SAVE the Installer to your Desktop:

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html  You will use the Windows-Internet Explorer- Download EXE Installer

Once you have those on your Desktop, Close all browsers, you only want to be looking at your Desktop.

Disable messenger services in the system tray, whether you use them or not. They are still active & use Flash.

RUN the Uninstaller and when it is finished, Reboot(restart) your computer.

RUN the Installer and when it is finished, Reboot your computer.

Go here to test and let me know if you see the Flash logo animate(spin) and what version of Flash Player is displayed.

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Then go to Tools, Manage addons and look under "Show", all addons or Run without Permission & find Shockwave Flash Object.

Make sure it is Enabled and the version is the same version of Flash Player that was displayed.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb   adding link

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2011 3:00 PM   in reply to cc143most

Hi, Will be back in a few minutes.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2011 4:22 PM   in reply to cc143most

Meanwhile, can you list the files you have in folder C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2011 4:24 PM   in reply to cc143most

Hi, so when you followed the instructions for the Win7, were they the same as what I gave you?

When looking for the Shockwave Flash Object, did you go to "Show" and check in "All addons" and or "Run without Permission"? That is where it is listed for IE8.

If you don't have that then that means there is some reason that it wasn't Installed. Did you receive any error messages when Installing?

Did you use the Administrator Account when Uninstalling/Installing? Only an Administrator has permission to Install that.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 8:08 AM   in reply to cc143most

Hi, You have the correct files in your Flash folder, but for some reason the Shockwave Flash Object did not Install. Since you are the Administrator and used that Account, we can rule that out as a reason.

On reinstalling IE, I wouldn't advise that. As you recall until Jan 8, you weren't having any issues. Then a website advised you to Install Flash Player. I'm assuming you had Flash Player Installed prior to that and it was working. Due to that I don't think IE is the problem.

When you were advised from that website to Install Flash Player, did you already have the latest FP (10.1.102.64) Installed?

When you disabled AVG, did you disable the LinkScanner? With AVG, the components need to be disabled separately. LinkScanner monitors the browser and can conflict with an Install. The main Anti-Virus part (Resident Shield) normally doesn't interfere. The 3 addons of AVG in the browser, I usually advise disabling when Uninstalling and Installing Flash Player.

In Programs & Features do you have a DLM(download manager) and or a getplus entry? Also do you have any getplus, get_atlcom Class or a DLM Control in any of the Manage addon categories?

You have Shockwave Player also, as you have the Shockwave Player ActiveX Control in your addons. I want to check a couple of things regarding Shockwave Player and will get back to you on that.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 8:52 AM   in reply to cc143most

Hi, thanks. If you try again, follow my instructions but when you get ready to Uninstall and Install, right click and choose "Run as Administrator" It seems this is peculiar to Vista OS.

Here is the info on AVG in case you need it:

Resident Shield

Open AVG User Interface. (Right Click to Open)
    Double-click on the Resident Shield.
    Un-tick the option Resident Shield active.

Save the changes.

LinkScanner

Open AVG User Interface.(Right Click to Open)
    Double-click on the LinkScanner.
    Un-tick the option Enable AVG Search-Shield and Enable Active Surf-Shield.

Save the changes.

Add Ons  Disable:

AVG SafeSearch 
    AVG Security Toolbar

AVG Security Toolbar BHO

On the DLM, if you don't have any of the addons and it is not listed in Programs & Features then you are ok. DLM causes problems, that is why I mentioned it.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb   Adding an additional AVG addon to be disabled

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 9:29 AM   in reply to cc143most

Hi, sorry that didn't work. I wouldn't try again at this time. Go ahead and get some rest for your work schedule and I'll post after checking out a couple of things. I have errands to run today and then get back to you.

There has been some discussion on Shockwave Player and Flash Player conflicting, but in the way each is Installed. I want to further check that out. This happened just recently with another user. I had heard this before, but didn't follow up on it.

I don't think you have multiple addons of Microsoft, it is the way IE8 lists the same addon in different categories. For example, if you had Shockwave Flash Object Installed, it would be listed under Show in "All addons" and also "Run without Permission" category. It is still only ONE addon.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 3:12 PM   in reply to cc143most

Hi, That red X would indicate that the Shockwave Flash Object is not Installed, which has been the problem. It is the FP Control and must be Installed. Something is preventing that and so we are trying to find out what.

The DLM is a downloader, but has nothing to do with Installing the above Control if something is preventing it. That and those add ons & the NOS can complicate matters, but right now I'm more interested in what is preventing the Control.

Post back your Flash files and let's make sure what the status is now.

Since this problem happened when using Shockwave Player, check in Programs & Features and let me know what version it is.

It makes me think that perhaps the website that you received that message from updated their Shockwave Player and somehow something happened.

There is a program that can be used to correct Permissions & Registry issues, but you haven't received any messages about needing Permissions or that the ActiveX Control can't be Registered. So I don't think it would work for you since the FP Installer didn't detect that.

So post back the Flash files that are now Installed and let me know what version that Shockwave Player is. Do you have Shockwave Flash Object in All addons or Run without Permission of ANY version?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Just reply whenever you can.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2011 9:39 AM   in reply to eidnolb

Maybe read my post "SOLUTION ..." in this forum

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2011 11:09 AM   in reply to jippy13

Hi jippy13, You can perform any action on your own computer. Advising users on the Flash forum to follow your thread is not wise. What you suggest is very risky and is not a solution at all. What you posted is NOT a safe procedure and I would even go so far as to say anyone following them would have more problems.

If that was a "solution", Adobe would have posted it!!

eidnolb

I will be advising each thread that you have posted on of this also.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2011 3:35 PM   in reply to cc143most

Hi, ok thanks. Will check further.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2011 10:02 AM   in reply to cc143most

Hi, I think JoyDeep Ray needs a Gold Star  I responded to that thread. Glad you saw it, as I am just trying to respond to all of the threads I'm working on!! So I hadn't gotten to you yet, glad you saw it. Isn't that something? I read all of the links and articles from that link.

My concern is how this is being done? Virus/Spyware would be my first guess. I think the time line would be informative, i.e. When did you Install Flash Player, which version? What websites were used prior to this issue?

Now you posted your thread on 1/9/11 and said:

I am using Vista 32 bit and IE 8.  Until yesterday, I have had no issues with Flash Player.  Yesterday, however, games I play on Shockwave were telling me to download the flash player.  I have, MANY times, to no avail.  I have used the Uninstaller, rebooting my computer .....

You have a great time line as a game told you to download Flash Player. And you were using Shockwave(not sure if you mean the Shockwave Player or Flash Player). This is suspicious in itself, since why would you receive that kind of a notice when you were using Flash Player and playing the game???

If you can remember which website you were on and which game told you that, it would be helpful. I think with some additional information, it should be reported to Adobe and let them investigate the games and websites.

Let me know if you have any info regarding that.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2011 3:01 PM   in reply to cc143most

Hi, yes I feel the same way about the Registry, LOL  I really think this was a virus or some type of malware. Someone could have been hacking the website too, since you have never had any problem with the site and games in all of that time. Is that website an interactive one? Sounds like it. If so then I would suspect another user.

Here is what I would do if I were you. I would go to www.malwarebytes.com and download the free version to your Desktop.

It won't conflict with AVG since you run it on demand from your Desktop. I have it on both of my computers. It has a clean user interface, everything is on the site when you open it. Scans, Updates, etc. If they find anything, they know how to get rid of it!!

Did I mention fast? LOL

Once you have it on your Desktop, I would close all browsers, disable all of AVG. If you need to know how to disable all of the components, let me know. It's not enough to just disable the Resident Shield. Then I would run a full scan with MBAM(malwarebytes) If they find anything, they will give you choices in what to do. A log is automatically made for you also.

After that is finished, I would re-enable all of AVG and run a full scan with it.

Thanks for your help with this. Oh, thanks for marking your thread as answered as well. I have bookmarked the "Kill-bit" thread and yours. Already referred another user to the one with the link.

If anything else comes up, I'll let you know.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2011 8:36 AM   in reply to cc143most

Good Morning, Glad you used MBAM since they found some other malware. I would contact the website/games and let them know about AV8 also. You don't have to detail how you recovered, just put them on notice you got this from their website. Also I would advise AVG also that they did not detect it.

Here is a link that Avast has that shows the Virus/Spyware and worse activity:

http://www.avast.com/virus-update-history

Hopefully you won't have any more trouble, but if so Avast has a free online scanner if you know the file:

http://onlinescan.avast.com/

Sometimes because I am online so much, if I have any suspicion of a site I've been on, I will stop and close down all windows and run MBAM. I have MSE(Microsoft Security Essentials) also which is a free Anti-Virus/Spyware program. It's light on resources and what I like about it is that it has no addons in my browser. It does not have a Firewall so I just use Windows FW.

You may like to have this on hand to use. This is Microsoft's free PC Safety Scan. I would not use the Registry Cleaner though, it is even cautioned against in their forum.

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

I have a lot of AV/Spyware links and info bookmarked as you can tell, LOL

Thanks for the update!!

Stay safe out there in the "jungle"

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2011 9:07 AM   in reply to cc143most

Hi, I searched for this AV8 Virus/Spyware and found this. This is a great website in general and everything you want or need to know about this Virus is here, LOL

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus8

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2011 6:50 AM   in reply to eidnolb

Hi,  I am having this same issue.  I will give you my timeline.  Wednesday morning, January 12, I got the AV8 virus.  I have Windows Vista 32-bit version, IE8 and already had Flashplayer installed and I could view videos and pictures fine.  I got in touch with PC Tools and bought Spyware Doctor with AV and Registry Doctor (or something like that, I'm not on my computer).  I cleaned the computer and there was a trojan file that I discovered was missed.  I deleted it and everything seemed to be working fine.  My cousin posted a video from Safe Auto on my Facebook page and I was unable to play it.  There was a red X in the upper left corner.  This was my first indication that something was wrong.  I tried to play a video on YouTube and I got the same thing.  I can play videos from DVD.  I uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times.  When I went to programs in the control panel, 2 components of Flash Player 10 were listed there, but with no file size.  I ran Belarc, and the report did not show Flash Player 10 as being installed.  It was actually yesterday when I realized that all this install not installed business was going on.

The interesting thing (I'm not extremely IT savvy) is that I discovered I could play online videos using Firefox but not IE8.  I can't wait to get home and try the fix!

Thanks!

Unrelated question (if you want to direct me to a different thread that is fine).  Since I had the virus and got it cleaned out (hopefully), if I restore my computer to a point before the virus incident, what would be the likely result?

Thanks again!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2011 9:36 AM   in reply to els622

Hi, If it were my system I would delete the sub-key if it is there, rather than a system restore. This is the Windows Registry and Flash Player writes to it so the next time Flash Player is updated and that sub-key is there, you might have problems.

Just my opinion on what I would do.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2011 10:00 AM   in reply to eidnolb

Thank you so much!  I am thinking the sub-key is the one referenced earlier

in the thread?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2011 10:13 AM   in reply to els622

Hi, Yes, Post#19's link. Keep in mind that this article for the most part explains how to set the Kill-bit so you CAN'T get Flash Content!! It explains how to do that, HOWEVER, if that Sub-key is there, then you follow the procedure to REVERSE it. You don't want to follow the first procedure, it is there to explain it.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2011 10:17 AM   in reply to eidnolb

Thanks again!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2014 6:32 PM   in reply to eidnolb

Hi! I'm having a problem with my Flash player as well. For some reason, a couple of weeks ago, my computer just stopped loading hbogo.com and HBO.com, and on other sites the flash is not loading correctly. I have a system running Windows 7, 64 Bit, and I have installed and reinstalled multiple times. For some reason, it just does not work on any of my browsers. Any help you be appreciated! Here is my original forum, it has some more specifics.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6054939#6054939

Thank you!!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points