Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 Extended:Importing 3D Models queries

Jan 10, 2011 12:15 AM

Hi,

I just spent some time having fun  playing with 3d in CS5 for the last 4 weeks.  The 3D does offer a new exciting aspect to PS however I have come across some issues while experimenting with importing models.

I'm a experienced PS user  but new to the world of 3D. I'm not ranting but if possible like a explanation on the following

1) I have been importing dae files from google 3D warehouse. Nearly all models I import have corrupted textures when rendered in PS.  It's as some textures on the models look like they are split apart into triangular pieces.

I have downloaded google sketchup 8 and created simple models and most of the time PS does recognise the textures and render with no issues. It seems however more complicated models do render with issues.

For example here is a great model

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=ddd6c2a51c25036c8a4 3cd65b179a1ff&prevstart=0

I load it into Sketchup 8 and export it in dae format.

This models renders with no errors but the red decals render as described above (corrupted).

Most models from other sites like 3Dvia I don't experience any issues

Are there any known issues with Sketchup exports or is this a PS issue?

2) I create a simple capsule shaped 3d model one in PS and one in Sketchup 8. I compare the texture mapping of both  models in PS and was amazed how different they are. (The one created in Sketchup i exported as a dae file).  When trying to map a texture precisely on the imported sketchup version it was near impossible especially the way maps around curved surfaces.

Why is this mapping different?  What is the correct termination when describing this mapping ?

Do 3d applications save models differently even in the same file format ( i.e dae)?

As a whole in my experience importing 3D models seems to to be hit and miss. Is this the way it is at this time?

Many Thanks

I have latest PS update

Spec: iMac I7 27" 8mg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 10, 2011 3:07 AM   in reply to SteveR From UK

I don't have a lot of time this morning, but here is a link that may help you. There are a lot of totorials that help with 3d importing and painting from various differet 3d sources. the issue you are having is not uncommon and i think is an easy fix, its just i have to be on the road in 30 min and don't have time to properly think it through atm.

http://www.photoshopcafe.com/cs4/3D.htm

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 5:10 AM   in reply to SteveR From UK
    Why is this mapping different?  What is the correct termination when describing this mapping ?

Mapping is arbitrary. PS will use an existing UV set, if there's one in the file, but if there#s none, it wil lattempt to create one uzsiung its own algorithm. aside from that there's a ton of ways to map such things from simple planar to cubic to spherical. There's no simpel answer here for you.

Do 3d applications save models differently even in the same file format ( i.e dae)?

Yes. As they say: "There's a million ways to skin a cat." All formats PS can read are interchange formats and it is up to the manufacturers to decide how they translate their native formats (MAX, C4D etc.) to these formats.

This models renders with no errors but the red decals render as described above (corrupted).

Probably duplicate polygons or misaligned normals. Nothing you can fix. Sketchup has a track record of spitting out the most atrocious files, so it is probably "normal". Anyway, if you're serious about this, learn a real 3D program like the free Blender, if only to fix up the mess Sketchup produces...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 7:01 AM   in reply to SteveR From UK

Am I right in thinking that if a manufacturer wanted their models to be fully compatible in PS it would be up to them to develop a "plugin"/application?

PS 3D is perhaps 0.5% of what an average 3D program does these days, so do you really think people already using  full 3D programs would have any interest in using PS other than for texture painting? It is what it is - a rudimentary way of 3D that may occasionally suffice for some simple stuff with lots of extra touchup to make it look halfway good, but nothing more. At the end of the day, for most tasks it is much more painless to stick with your 3D app. And yes, of course why should software vendors have any interest in sending their customers to Adobe?

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 8:21 AM   in reply to SteveR From UK

That is a question unto the mighty deities of Adobe! Aside from tutorials making grandiose claims I haven't seen it used anywhere in a realworld scenario, but well, there could be magazines and illustrations using Repoussé text...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2011 4:07 AM   in reply to SteveR From UK

I don't totaly agree with that statement. Grant it I am no expert either but my all my 3d human painting is done is Photoshop. grant it my UV map was spacificly made for the models that i use but its a little more then basic 3d.

3d body.png

Grant it i use it for a spacific purpous, to paint the 3 d layers not for modeling for that you would use 3d studio max or some other 3d application, most of them intigrate with photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2011 11:58 AM   in reply to Joprysko

I don't totaly agree with that statement. Grant it I am no expert either but my all my 3d human painting is done is Photoshop.

Fair enough, but from your screenshot it looks like you paint a considerable part in 2D and in addition the textures appear to be rather low-res and 8bit. That might get considerably more inconvenient if they were higher res and 16bit or even 32bit...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2011 12:29 PM   in reply to Mylenium

most of the painting is done in 2d and applied to the 3 sections of the 3d layers, while they look small thats only cause i miniturised it all to fit on screen on my laptop. each of the 3 sections, while not super high res, since the actual final result are placed into an online game, they are 1024 x 1024 32 bit textures,  the 3d rendering on my laptops not the best to see the results on either.

the images are all loaded into the game in a flat 2d texture, having photo shops 3d is needed to properly mesh all the seamlines on the skin texture or you would have visable seamlines on every mesh point.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2011 3:00 PM   in reply to Joprysko

This is the same skin that was created in photoshop after it was imported into a game.

The hair is crappy but was just a quick toss together so she was not bald and nekit.

3d face.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2011 11:02 AM   in reply to SteveR From UK

I have spent over probably 10 hours.

I've tested exporting Collada with every possible option checked and unchecked from Sketchup.

Here's what I've found...

The texture and/or 3d model only works with the following...

1. No curves.... if you create a model with NO curves whatsoever.

2. Triangulate faces.

3. Group everything.

I modeled a laptop... once I introduced curves... i.e. follow me curved bevels it imports into CS5 as odd textures.

The script "Invert Opacity" does nothing.

I've also tried taking the model (with curves, the same model that doesn't import into Pshop without weird artifacting) into Blender. I've exported in every format with zero luck.

Long story short you cannot create a curved surface object in Sketchup and have it display correctly in Pshop. The only way is to create it outside of Sketchup.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points