Skip navigation
Mancun_Ian2011
Currently Being Moderated

'All spots to process' Checked automatically. Please help

Jan 10, 2011 4:31 AM

Hi,

I recently sent a job to print which was supposed to have 1 spot colour. It came back from the printer 4-colour with no spot and when I ckecked the artwork 'All spots to process' was checked in the Ink Manager.

I definitely did not check the box as I wasn't even aware of it and previous versions of the document show it was un-checked.

Is it possible to turn this feature on by default/automatically/by accident!? Could I have activated it elsewhere in InDesign?

Thanks

Ian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 10, 2011 4:54 AM   in reply to Mancun_Ian2011

It is not possible, as far as I know, to enable all spots to process by "accident." It would require opening the ink manager, a deliberate action, and checking the box, another deliberate action, and it is not available with no files open, so it cannot be set as a default, except perhaps by script.

I thought it might be possible to swtitch spots to process by synchronizing a book, but it is not (I just checked), though it is possible to redefine a spot as process this way.

All evidence seems to me to point to an error in prepress at the printer. Did you send native files or a PDF?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 5:18 AM   in reply to Mancun_Ian2011

Hi lan,

Me also faced same problem i think this will be helpful to you

Just run the script before exporting the pdf file all spot colors will coverts as a CMYK

Say BIG "thank you" to Jongware. This is his script

app.activeDocument.colors.everyItem().properties = {space:ColorSpace.CMYK, model:ColorModel.PROCESS};

For more details see below link

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/732362?tstart=0

Regards,
    Siva

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 5:57 AM   in reply to siva k

Siva, I believe you misread the post. The spot color should NOT have been converted in this case.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 6:27 AM   in reply to Mancun_Ian2011

That's the file you sent, not one the printer returned?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 6:28 AM   in reply to Mancun_Ian2011

Yeh but you told the printers it was to have a spot colour right?

The prepress didn't pick up that there was a plate missing???

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 7:01 AM   in reply to Mancun_Ian2011

And how is this your fault then?

They are outputting the job, they should be checking the Ink Manager so it separates correctly. They should have also noticed it was to be printed as a spot job.

Feel free to bring this up with the printing company. You handed off the InDesign files so they could prep the job for press. If it was to have a spot colour then they should have arranged that with the InDesign file you provided.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 7:15 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

peter, yes you are right now i got the idea

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 8:08 AM   in reply to Mancun_Ian2011

Other than running a script that changes spots to process, as mentioned above, there's no way to en-mass change spots to process other than using the ink manager, but even that script doesn't affect the staus of the checkbox in the ink manager, so either there's some other script floating around that can do that, or somebody opened the ink manager and made a change. The three palces where you can access the ink manager are the swatches panel menu, the print dialog or the export to PDF dialog.

Could someone else have looked at this file and made the change without telling you  before you submitted the files?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2011 12:30 PM   in reply to Mancun_Ian2011

Depending how you look at it, that setting is either a benefit or a risk. The "problem" is that it is "sticky". Once you turn it on in the Ink Manager, it stays on and you can forget it. We've had studio instances where we are using transparency on a spot colour, and we have to turn on Spots to Process to get comps to output correctly on our Xerox laser. If you forget to turn it off, it stays on in the file you send for print.

You can catch it if you have the Separations palette open. That's something I do by default.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points