Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Shockwave Flash Object not present as add-on

Jan 10, 2011 7:22 PM

Hi,

I use Windows XP SP3 and IE 8 (32 bit) as browser. I cannot view Adobe video files in the browser. All I see is an empty box with a red cross at the top left. I installed the latest version of the Flash Player from Adobe site. Although the installation was successful, the problem remained. The issue is not there if I use Mozilla Firefox browser, where all Adobe files are displayed properly. I verified that in Control Panel->Add/Remove Program list, "Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX" and "Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin" are both shown. However, in the add-on list of the browser, (Tools->Manage Add-Ons->All add-ons), the ShockWave Flash Object is not listed. No such object is there in C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files directory, which I viewed through Tools->Internet Options->Settings->View Objects. In case it helps, my directory C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash contains files like Flash10l.ocx, flashplayer.xpt, FlashUtil10l_ActiveX.dll, FlashUtil10l_ActiveX.exe, FlashUtil10l_Plugin.exe, genuinst.exe, NPSWF32.dll. 

I read the trail http://forums.adobe.com/thread/773384?tstart=0 ("Can't install latest flashplayer") and followed all the instructions given there (login as administrator, uninstall, reboot, reinstall the IE ActiveX and Firefox plugin etc.). I also disabled my anti-virus (I use "Internet Security" from QuickHeal) during the procedure. However, problem remained exactly the same.

Can anyone please help me solving this problem? I saw a post http://forums.adobe.com/thread/775762?tstart=0 ("ActiveX Control Won't Register"), where the solution suggested is to use the MS utility SubInACL to change registry settings. I am not sure whether that will fix my problem as well but since my PC contains many important other software, I am a bit cagey using that before ensuring I have explored all other options.

Thanks in advance,

Joydeep

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 11, 2011 11:50 AM   in reply to Joydeep Ray

Hi, I certainly appreciate the complete computer info, Flash files, etc!!

From my understanding of the SubInACL, this is to correct Registry Issues. Did you receive any error messages when Installing Flash Player that the ActiveX Control could not be Registered?

In this Adobe Troubleshooting Guide, page down to almost the bottom and there are screenshots of some of the error messages. Let me know if you received any of them.  http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html 

Whether the SubInACL would work for you or not, I really can't say. You can look it over if you haven't done so.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html 

You may want to go to Tools, Manage Addons and look under "Show"(very light text) and look in "All addons" and "Run without Permission" just to make sure the Shockwave Flash Object is not listed and Enabled.

Your Flash files are correct for IE & FF.

What you may want to do after checking the above, is to Uninstall/Install again, using the manual Installers. Now you may have used these, but there is a step that perhaps wasn't listed depending on which procedure you followed. Some Anti-Virus programs even though disabled when Uninstalling, will Enable themselves after that first Reboot after Uninstalling and then blocks the Installer when it is Run.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2011 11:10 AM   in reply to Joydeep Ray

Hi, I think you have done an excellent job of Uninstalling/Installing and don't see anything that you have overlooked in that other than this: Did you disable all messenger services in the system tray(area near the clock)? Also did you Close all browser Windows first before Un/In? And Run the Uninstaller and Installers from your Desktop?

I am not familiar with your Anti-Virus program, but can any component still run in the background and does disabling the main engine disable all?

The fact that you did not receive any error messages tends to rule out the use of the SubInACL, but still an option.

Let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2011 8:11 AM   in reply to Joydeep Ray

Hi, You have found a great piece of info. I know about Kill-bits, since Microsoft occasionally issues them with Windows Updates. However, this is ALWAYS at the particular Companys' request. I recall last year I think there were 3 that I recall and for Security reasons. I think HP was one, can't remember the other 2 though.

I don't need to say that Adobe would never have requested this!!!!!! LOL I can't even speculate how this happened on your system. The fact that it modified the Registry is very concerning. Needless to say I have never heard of this for Flash Player.

Now I know about adblocks, etc, but my understanding this occurs in the browser, not the Registry. I'm not sure on that though.

Glad you were able to find that and correct your Registry.

I also appreciate very much you posting that info here. That will be one more thing for other users to check when having the same problem you had.  In fact I have been working with several other threads on this same thing, where the users have all of the correct Flash files Installed and the Shockwave Flash Object also and still not able to view Flash Content.

Now the SubInACL perhaps could have corrected this, but I have even had a couple of users last year that even that didn't solve the problem.

So thanks again, for great info!!

eidnolb

I also meant to add that this would prevent the Installation of the Shockwave Flash Object. Then for those that have been able to, perhaps this Registry change could occur AFTER that and prevent the viewing of Flash Content. Either way, not a good thing!!!

Message was edited by: eidnolb  Add'l Comment

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2011 9:18 AM   in reply to Joydeep Ray

Hello again, just a bit if info on that Kill-bit. Another person on this forum followed your link and had success. Now they had a virus, which that may be what happended to you. I don't know for sure, but this is the Virus they had right before the problem with Shockwave Flash Object not Installing.

This is just a FYI,

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus8

This may not been the one that caused your problem, but thot you might like to have this info.

Regards,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 1:30 PM   in reply to Joydeep Ray

Hello again, I had advised the other user to download and Install to the Desktop www.malwarebytes.com the free version. This is an on Demand that you use when wanted. They are extremely good and I'm sure you have heard of them. They cleaned up the other user's system after finding Registry entries, etc.

I would disable any other Anti-Virus you have when running MBAM in full scan mode. I use this daily almost. Clean user interface, updates, etc. Also After disabling your other A/V, I would close all browser windows and run MBAM. Then perhaps run a full scan with your current A/V.

Thanks,

eidnolb

P.S. A third user had this same Kill-bit!! I'm keeping track:-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 7:40 PM   in reply to eidnolb

See also this article http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/190/tn_19091.html

(The article is incomplete; I have requested that it is updated.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 7:58 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Hi Pat, and thanks. Yes it is incomplete. In addition this Kill-bit not only would prevent viewing Flash Content, but it blocks the Installation of the Shockwave Flash Object. From what I have gathered so far, this is done by a Virus. I've done research on the Virus and mostly is appears (not exclusively tho) from game sites.

Time will tell, but I certainly see that this may be the reason that so many users "can't Install SWO/ActiveX Control" If this is a solution(easy to find out) then that will be a hugh help here on the forum!! And I don't need to tell you how many of those threads we have, LOL

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 8:01 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

More info:

The registry key mentioned in the article above - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} has one entry, a REG_DWORD named Compatibility Flags

The "kill bit" is set if the value of this entry is 0x00000400

There may be bits set on other places, like I find 0x00010000 in my registry.  It may be a combination of these, like 0x00010400

So you may just need to remove the 4 from the value so that it becomes 0x00000000 or 0x00010000

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 8:13 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

The ultimate info on "kill-bits": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240797

Thank you, both Joydeep Ray and Blue, for your research on the subject!  This explains many "inexplicable" things we have seen in the last half year or so...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 8:28 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

Hi Pat, I think I'll start a thread. Subject: Kill-bits That info you have is good too. Will read the MS link later. Bad stuff.

Half year? Ha-Ha  How about a year? LOL Yes Joy had a great find.

eidnolb/Blue

Maybe with all of us, we'll solve this mystery. If I were a programmer I'd find a way to block this Kill-bit!!! How about you Pat??

On a different note, I'm keeping my eye on FP/iPhone4:-) I see at least Adobe/Apple are maybe, possible, perhaps..talking:-)

Have a good day!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2011 8:35 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

I just want to thank you for this information.  My wife's computer had been having issues with flash player for awhile, and the Shockwave Flash Object was not present in the IE8 Add-ons.  My wife had a series of Virus' that we had removed with Norton's from Comcast.net (our ISP provider).  After trying the same things as orinally posted I read about the "Kill-Bit" and found it and deleted the extension in the registry.  Everything is now working properly.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points