Currently Being Moderated

How to edit a business card info

Jan 11, 2011 1:24 PM

I need to know how to do so

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 11, 2011 1:44 PM   in reply to 323836

Need more info...

Is it a standard business card you want to scan and change?

Have you already scanned it and now want to change text?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2011 3:43 PM   in reply to 323836

Since the card is a PSE file, are the various pieces of text separate text layers?  If so you can easily go back into the layers with the Text tool and change the wording, size, font, etc.  It would help if you upload to this forum (click the camera icon) a screen shot showing your PSE desktop with the open file and open Layers Palette.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2011 3:58 PM   in reply to 323836

If the text layer still exists you can activate the layer in the Layers Palette. Click in the text and change it just as you would do in any word processor.  You can also drag the mouse in the text to highlight it, then Delete, retype, change font, size, color, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2011 6:58 PM   in reply to 323836

Caroline,

I made this simple example which should help explain things. I have PSE2 so things will look a bit different than in your version but functionally they should be the same.

text layer.jpg

The Text tool is the 2nd column in the 4th row of the toolbar along the left side. It is denoted by the "T" icon.

The Layers Palette is opened via the menu bar: Window > Layers. You can also open it from the Palette Well which is located in the upper right of the menu bar. The Palette Well is customized by the user to access certain frequently-used tools (I have just the 4 items Filters, Effects, Layer Styles, and Layers). Click on the Layers tab to temporarily open the Layers Palette. You can also drag the tab to the desktop so that the Palette stays open, which you probably want to do and which I did in the above screenshot.

Now for the example:

I created a blank file, clicked the "T" icon to activate the Text tool, and added the text "TEXT LAYER".  This created the new layer named "TEXT LAYER" (you can rename the layer if you want).

To later change the text, activate the Text tool, click in the text where you want to made changes, and type away. You can also delete text with the Backspace or Delete key, just as in a word processor. To highlight a section of text for editing just click and drag as in this example:

text layer2.jpg

When I mentioned the camera icon I was referring to the icons above the message box in the PSE forum. The camera icon is in the lower right corner of this screenshot. When you click the camera it asks you for the path to the picture you want to insert into the message at the cursor point.

camera.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2011 5:23 AM   in reply to 323836

Everything I described is basic stuff to all PSE versions, and what you are trying to do (change text, resize) is also basic stuff.

Again, it would greatly help if you take a snapshot of your work area and upload it for us to see.The important thing is to open the Layers Palette and see if indeed the text is in text layers. I'm wondering if your web designer gave you a flattened file, i.e., all the layers he/she created were flattened so that you have just the single layer named "Background". If this is the case you are out of luck and cannot edit the text. But you can certainly recreate the card yourself using the text tools.

Were you not even able to open the Layers Palette as I described? Please send us that snapshot. To do that, hit the Prt Scr (or similar) on your keyboard. Then from the PSE menu bar, do File > New from Clipboard.  Save the file as a jpeg and insert it into a forum message via the camera icon.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2011 12:51 PM   in reply to 323836

323836 wrote:

for the camera icon, and take a screen shot, I have no idea how to do so?

In PSE make sure your picture and Layers Palette are both open. Hit the Prt Scr (or similar) on your  keyboard. Then from the PSE menu bar, do File > New from Clipboard.   Save the screenshot as a jpg.

Then make a PSE forum message. To insert the screenshot, click the camera icon. Click the From Your Computer tab, then click Browse to navigate to the folder where you saved the screenshot jpg. Select the screenshot and click Upload.

sshot-1.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2011 1:29 PM   in reply to 323836

Hi,

The Photoshop Elements trial is not crippled. You have the full function of Photoshop Elements thru your trial period.  If you did not get a layered business card template and the place you used to create your card went bankrupt, you might try looking around the net for free business card templates. You can do this from scratch but it's easier with a template as it's already sized and it has a basic layout.

Templates come layered so all you need to do is double click on the T of the text layer you want to change in the layers palette and type in the desired text.

Edit: Mark was much faster at typing how to make a print screen. I'll leave all of the below anyway.

How to make a screen shot of your workspace if on Windows...

1. With your card open in the workspace and the layers panel open as I think Mark wants to see if you have a layered business card, press the print screen button on your keyboard. On my keyboard, it's located above the numeric keyboard.

2. After you press the print screen key, go to the menu and select File<New...from clipboard. A large blank document will open.

3. Press Ctrl + V keys at the same time to paste. Alternately, you can do this from the menu bar...Edit<Paste. This will paste the snapshot you took of your workspace into the open document.

4. (Optional step) You can use the crop tool to cut away unnecessary parts of your screenshot if desired.

5. Next, save the document. To make the document more forum friendly...smaller in file size, I'd use file<Save for Web but if you just want to File<Save As...it's okay. Save in JPG format so you can upload to the forum.

For the camera icon, Mark means the camera icon in the post box that appears when you post or reply to a post when using the web forum. Mark posted a screen grab with the icon but I'll add one with a red arrow pointing to the icon you click to add an image to a post.

camera-icon.jpg

I always save any image I want to upload to this forum or any forum to my desktop as it makes it easier to find. A dialog will come up that says choose. Press it and navigate to your JPG image. It will list the location where you have the file stored on your computer. Press the upload button to add the image to the post.

choose.jpg

Edit: I'm not sure why Mark has a "Browse" on his button and I have "Choose".  Same difference...just select whichever option your button displays.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 5:14 AM   in reply to 323836

You might check out htis other recent forum topic:  How Do You Print Business Cards in PSE9?

It mentions a business card template you can download from Avery.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/778133?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 6:14 AM   in reply to 323836

Since it looks like you are new to PSE here are basic steps to create a business card from scratch.

1. File > New.   Set the Width and Height in inches. This creates the layer named Background.

2. Click the "T" icon on the toolbar to activate the Text tool.  On the tool options bar choose your font, size, color,  etc.

3. Click in the blank file where you want to enter text and type away. When you are done click the Commit icon on the options bar; in my PSE version this is checkmark icon. You can also commit the text with the Enter key on the numeric part of the keypad (the Enter key on the alphabet part of the keyboard inserts a carriage return while typing text).  The text is placed on a new layer. You can later change the font attributes by clicking on a text layer and going back into the Text tool.

4. Do the same to create more text. In my example I created seperate text layers for the various portions of the business card:  doctors's name, phone numbers, address. I did this so that I can later reposition them separately.

5. To add the logo: I opened the logo in PSE, selected it and copied it to the clipboard, and pasted it in the business card image. This also placed the logo on a separate layer.

6. I added the horiziontal line with the Custom Shape tool, also creating a new layer.

7. Now you can resize and relocate the various layers using the Move tool.

business card.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 8:00 AM   in reply to Mark Sand

Mark,

That is a very nice card.

If you flatten the layers, copy the file, then open the Avery template, you can paste the card so as to fill the slots..

The template facilitates positioning and subsequent printing on the Avery card stock.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 9:50 AM   in reply to hatstead

hatstead,

Does the Avery template allow you to add, remove, reposition slots?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2011 11:43 AM   in reply to Mark Sand

Mark,

The referenced Photoshop (Avery) template can be opened in Elements.

I typed text within the confines for one business card, then populated the remainder of the global template via copy/paste, positioned in the usual way.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points