Skip navigation
JacoboGP76
Currently Being Moderated

Calling exporter inside an exporter.

Jan 12, 2011 3:23 AM

Hello everyone.

I am trying to create a custom exporter that has h.264 encoder capabilities. I know there is already an exporter for H.264 in Premiere (or Media Encoder) but I need to accomplish some special tasks during encoding process, so the use of a custom SDK exporter is inevitable.

My question is, as I´m not really an expert on encoding video in h264 format, can I call the h264 exporter within the code of my SDK exporter?

Maybe I can do it within exSDKExport method, not sure anyway. Please confirm me if there is such a possibility. If not, then I will have to integrate some 264 libraries in C++ in my SDK exporter project, or maybe make a call to some stand-alone application that has command line features.

Your suggestion/help is highly appreciated.

Kind regards.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 12, 2011 10:09 AM   in reply to JacoboGP76

It should be possible to mimic the Exporter API with your own then within your codebase manually open the .prm file (it is a DLL after all) and do your own initialization of it and calls to it exactly the same way that AME does.

I've been looking at doing a very similar thing for Filters. IE making a shim to an AE plugin that isn't threadsafe. If I can mimic the AE API and set the new CS4 and above PF_OutFlag2_PPRO_DO_NOT_CLONE_SEQUENCE_DATA_FOR_RENDER flag then call the AE filter I want to run it May just work in CS4 (coz the old AE filter is 32bit it can't also be CS5).

Are you confusing terms btw?

I am trying to create a custom exporter that has h.264 encoder capabilities.

In CS3 and prior Premiere has "Compilers" (invoked from Export->Movie) and "Custom Compilers" (invoked from Export->[thename]).

In CS4 and above Premiere has no direct Export anymore (ie Compilers are Deprecated). Premiere, AE and Encore call Media Encoder. AME has only one sort of backend called "Exporters".

So I'm assuming when you said "Custom Exporter" that you meant your "Exporter".

I bring that up in case you're thinking of making a (legacy <= CS3) "Custom Compiler" and hoping to be able to call the (Main Concept OEM'ed) H.264 "Exporter" that is in CS4 & CS5. Getting that to work would be a world of hurt.

'keep us in the loop.

Edward.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 14, 2011 10:11 AM   in reply to JacoboGP76

Fyi I've been working on a x264 front end plugin for a while now. It needs some serious cleaning up to make it into a state that's ready for distribution though.

My goal is BluRay "legal"* output.

*by legal I mean it will pass the bluray replication tests.

I'm doing it for two reasons,

A: The Main Concept encoder is awful at High Quality HD output. (x264 beats it in bake offs every year)

B: The Main Concept encoder doesn't make Bluray legal output. It will "work" on most Bluray players when burnt onto BD-R but it's not good enough for professional production. i.e. sent off to a bluray replication house.

It's not as easy as it looks to shim it to the Adobe SDK. I've been working with the x264 developers for quite some time to resolve some serious problems. For example: the handling of color spaces properly etc. (pc.709 & pc.601 -> rec.709 & rec.601).

So, if you have some other plan (which it seems like you do based on pre-processing you say you want to do) then it can be a good engine to use but trust me it ain't easy to get it to actually make the output the way you want.

E.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points