Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

cs5 camera raw: "this file could not be created" problem

Jan 15, 2011 2:51 PM

When I'm attempting to save raw files in any format (jpeg, dng, tiff, etc) to a different directory from where they're intially opened from I get "this file could not be created" error.  It saves fine if goes to the same directory where the file has been opened from.

The problem started happening for no apparent reason.  There have been no changes to the system (no new installs, etc), except for recent adobe updates, but I can't find any other users complaining about this problem.  This happens on admin and all other accounts.  Any suggestions on how to fix it would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

photoshop cs5 / win7 64-bit

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 15, 2011 3:03 PM   in reply to tatbud

What are the permissions and owner of the folders in which you're trying to write?  Any chance they're such that you don't have write access into those folders?

Can you save a file from another app into those folders?

The disk is not full is it?

Your scratch disk is not full is it?

Sorry for the very basic qeuestions.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 15, 2011 4:39 PM   in reply to tatbud

Hm, perhaps a folder closer to the root than the folder you have selected has a permissions issue.

Is the folder you're trying to use rooted on the hard drive (i.e., does the path begin with a drive letter)?

Keep in mind that whether you are an Administrator or not, with Windows UAC enabled the app is normally not running as an Administrator.  That can affect permissions.  You might want to either try running the app via Run As Administrator or temporarily disable Windows UAC to see if this is an issue.

How are you starting Camera Raw?  From within Photoshop or Bridge?

Also, do you have the latest Camera Raw update?

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4926

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 12, 2011 12:21 AM   in reply to tatbud

Vista x64 / CS5

I now have develpoped this problem

I click on Save Image in ACR. The dialog opens, but I can't choose a new folder in which to save the image.

I have no problem saving the image in the original folder.

If I close Bridge and CS5, I can usually choose a new folder in which to save the image after reopening.

This is my own desktop machine to which no one else has access.

For what it's worth, I host ACR in CS5 ( I got tired of the "There is not enough memory" errors)

Any suggestions as to what might have gone wrong?

If you have a solution, please give a detailed description. ;-)

Thanks.

D.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 12, 2011 12:54 PM   in reply to Dinarius

Check all your folder permissions, as I have described in this same thread above.

I have definitely seen this issue reported before, possibly on the Camera Raw forum.

I simply don't remember what the solution (if any) was, but it might be worth a bit of a concentrated Google search effort on site:forums.adobe.com because I'm 100% sure this exact thing been reported before.

I just did a brief search as I described and didn't see an obvious solution.  All the threads I found on the subject ended without resolution. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 7:14 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

Thanks for the reply.

No joy with a search. I keep hitting on this thread - even using various parameters.

The fault is intermittent and it's ok now. When it isn't, I can't save anywhere, not even to a folder on my Desktop - only to the HD storing the original RAWS.

I turned of UAC. The fault was still there immediately afterwards but, as I say, it's ok now.

If you have any other links to possible solutions, I'd be grateful.

D.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 18, 2011 9:00 AM   in reply to Dinarius

Update:

I've changed ownership of the three internal HDs and the two external HDs to myself. I've also given full Permissions to myself for each drive. (Under Properties/Security, Full Control had not been ticked for me as a user)

This, alas, has made no difference to the problem. I can still only save a TIFF to the folder the RAW files are in, nowhere else.

Also, I use Oloneo HDR and I can save TIFFs from this program to any folder I choose. This makes me wonder if the problem is with ACR (or Bridge, or CS5 - in which I host ACR)

I've also run chkdsk on all the drives. No errors were found.

This problem has become a total head-wreck!

I would dearly love a solution. I've Googled and found similar threads, but no solution.

Very, very frustrating.

D.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2011 4:34 AM   in reply to Dinarius

Update #2

I did a complete uninstall (including going into C: Program Files and removing anything to do with CS5/CS5 64bit and Bridge - and checking the Remove Preferences box in the Uninstall dialog) and updated after the reinstallation.

Guess what? No joy. ACR still can't *see* the destination folder, whether hosted in CS5 or Bridge.

What a crock.

Guess I'm going to finally have to start using Lightroom, which can *see* the destination folders I point it at. As can Oloneo HDR, as I've already said.

I'd be amazed this this isn't anything other than a Bridge/CS5 vs. Vista. glitch. So, I'd be very grateful if someone at Adobe could sort it out.

The silence here is, sadly, deafening.

Thanks.

D.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 19, 2011 7:37 AM   in reply to Dinarius

Dinarius wrote:

The silence here is, sadly, deafening.

I'm sorry, but I'm out of ideas.  I think something about your specific system isn't making Photoshop happy.

The silence might be simply that no one else has seen/solved this problem.  I'm running Photoshop CS5 on Window s 7 and have never seen the problem you describe.

I do have Photoshop CS4 on a Vista x64 system, and am seeing no problems there either.

If I understand you correctly above, turning off UAC makes it work?  Or was that a transient thing?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2011 9:25 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hi Noel,

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

There's is no joy whether UAC is on or off. I keep it off since it blocks my Video LUT from loading.

The issue is discussed in a few places, but not exactly as I'm experiencing it.

Wonder if I should go back to an earlier version of ACR? Is that possible?

Thanks.

D.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2011 7:11 AM   in reply to Dinarius

A further update........

I manually removed ACR from Common Files to see if I could replace it with an older version of ACR. No joy.

So, I uninstalled CS5 again and reinstalled it.

However, this time I didn't download the updates, so when I open a RAW file from within Bridge and host it in CS5, I am now running ACR 6.0 - and it works!! I can save a file to any folder I choose. Great.

However, I still have a small problem. If I right click on a file in Bridge and choose Open in Camera Raw, I get the error message: "Camera Raw editing is not enabled. Camera Raw editing requires that a qualifying product has been launched at least once to enable this feature."

What does this mean? How do I solve it?

I'm going to stick with 6.0 for the moment - if it ain't broke.............etc...etc...

Thanks.

D.

Edited:

Sorted! Found this...........

Launch CS5 and then File/Browse in Bridge. Once it has been activated once, it is then possible to launch ACR from Bridge. Great.

But.........I'll be sticking with 6.0. Being able to choose the destination folder is the most important thing. Not sure what I'm missing vs. 6.4.1. Not too much, I hope.

Message was edited by: Dinarius

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 21, 2011 7:20 AM   in reply to Dinarius

You could try 6.3 I suppose, though if the version you have supports your camera then there really isn't THAT much incentive to update.

I can't fathom what they could have done in 6.4.1 that would manifest in the kind of behavior you're seeing, but that works okay on other peoples' systems.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2011 7:54 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hi Noel,

I realized that 6.0 doesn't have the lens profiles. This works brilliantly on my Canon 17-40mm, a lens I use a lot. (My Canon 1Ds Mkll, Canon G9 and Hasselblad H3Dll are all supported in differerent ways. So, I'm covered on that score.)

So, I downloaded and installed (with a reboot) the 6.1 update.

I then realized that 6.1 didn't have the 1/3 grid lines in the Crop Tool (well, truth be told, I didn't check if the Show Overlay option was present! ) so I downloaded 6.2.

All is well. Able to choose the destination folder.

Not sure what I'm missing now vs. 6.4.1, but........

Thanks again.

D.

ps. The odd thing is that 6.4.1 worked fine from the time of the update (whenever that was) up until two weeks ago.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2011 2:14 AM   in reply to Dinarius

Was just prompted to install a bunch of updates. (I hadn't done that yesterday after the reinstall)

I unticked the box next to Camera Raw and installed the rest.

All is still well. No problem choosing the destination folder.

Phew!

D.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points