Skip navigation
DurbsLad
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 9 low system memory

Jan 15, 2011 8:08 PM

The problem:

I quite frequently get warnings to the effect PE9 is critically low on system memory, sometimes within seconds of starting the program.  At such times, it turns out that less than 2GB of memory is in use, and PE9 is using around 0.5GB, CPU usage is very low.  On the face of it, system resources are far from critical, but PE9 gets into a panic and on one occasion froze completely.  I have also had it running on once occasion for most of the day building a video more than an hour long, getting this warning only after about 6 hours (still using 0.5GB system memory, 2GB unused).

Background:

I have recently upgraded to PE9.  This is running on a quad-core AMD 3.4GHz CPU (Phenom II 945) with 4GB memory, 2xHDDs, 2GB and 1.5GB.  Swap file is entirely on the C: (system) drive, which has 100GB free space.  Anti-virus software is Avira Antivir, which appears to have no way to turn it off short of uninstalling it.  OS is Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  Indexing is limited to 2 folders on the data drive, one of them the source of the video footage being edited, and neither updated at the times when the problem occurs.  The work area is not included in the list of indexed locations.  The video file contents are not indexed by the indexing options.

The question: Can anyone suggest what's going on with the "critically low system memory" warnings?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 16, 2011 6:02 AM   in reply to DurbsLad

As I say in my books, a lot depends on what kind of camcorder you're getting your video from and which project settings you're using.

If you are using photos as your source files, then there is a completely new set of considerations.

But, for video editing, the most common reason for running out of system memory is the need to render your timeline. If you see red lines above your clips, you need to press Enter and let the program render the segment. When the red lines are green, your system should run much more efficiently.

When you add first video to your timeline, are you seeing red lines above the clips? If so, then there is a mismatch between your project settings and your source video. If your video and your project settings are perfectly matched, there will be neither red no green lines above the clips on your timeline until you add effects or transitions to them.

Using the right project settings and rendering regularly is key to the efficient working of this program.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2011 11:03 AM   in reply to DurbsLad

I encourage you to contact Adobe and let them know about the things you don't like about the product.

If enough people complain about things like the interface, they may well change it in the next generation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2011 4:10 PM   in reply to DurbsLad

Have you tried going to Adobe's company page and clicking the "Contact Adobe" button?

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2011 1:20 AM   in reply to DurbsLad

Are there any specific steps that result in low memory warnings? Does the task manager tell you something about the memory usage while your operations are going on? What happens when your Organizer is empty but for one file that you are editing?

When you play the files back in say an external player like vlc, do you still see the memory overshoots? I have got this error on some flv files earlier and I try to stay away from them, but in your case, I am not sure if it really an issue with the files/operations. Are there any other applications running? Especially memory hogging ones?

Your inputs here could give us some clue...

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2011 5:53 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

I also to have memory issues.  My computer is:

System
    ManufacturerHP-Pavilion
    ModelAY022AA-ABA p6330f
    Total amount of system memory8.00 GB RAM
    System type64-bit operating system
    Number of processor cores2

Storage
    Total size of hard disk(s)3027 GB
    Disk partition (C:)534 GB Free (921 GB Total)
    Disk partition (D:)2 GB Free (11 GB Total)
    Media drive (E:)CD/DVD
    Disk partition (F:)873 GB Free (932 GB Total)
    Disk partition (K:)8 MB Free (932 GB Total)
    Media drive (L:)CD/DVD
    Disk partition (O:)10 MB Free (233 GB Total)

Graphics
    Display adapter typeATI Radeon HD 4550
    Total available graphics memory4827 MB
    Dedicated graphics memory1024 MB
    Dedicated system memory0 MB
    Shared system memory3803 MB
    Display adapter driver version8.821.0.0
    Primary monitor resolution1680x1050
    DirectX versionDirectX 10

I use a Panasonic DMC-FZ28K still camera for my HD video's and stills

What project settings should I use? I get the red line in all my projects.  No matter what project settings I use, I still get the red line, any suggestions? ...is there something i'm missing? After I render it works better, but still slow. I use my F: drive for the projects which has a lot of space.

Thanks

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2011 8:46 AM   in reply to fader5

Along with the comments on Rendering, you might want to see this ARTICLE.

This ARTICLE goes into some things that can affect overall performance. It contains a lot of useful links, on tuning up one's OS and also the computer.

As far as partitioning of HDD's, and especially for video editing, this ARTICLE might be useful. I assume that the partitioning of Drive 0 is for a system restoration partition, and should not affect performance, but for other HDD's, might well contribute to issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points