Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Mail merge using illustrator

Jan 21, 2011 12:06 PM

Hi There,

I'm trying to find a way to automatically populate data into Illustrator and InDesign.  I was thinking of doing it using Applescript and importing an excel file into an illustrator graph object.  My boss suggested i look into using Xtags as a means to do a data merge with the illustrator/indesign files.  Is this possible? it seems that xtag is a format used with Quark.  is it also available in Adobe products?

Thanks,

(sorry if my terminology is off, i'm a programmer so my knowledge of adobe design products is limited)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 22, 2011 1:44 AM   in reply to hovercraft2x

You possibly want to be looking in the direction of creating XML and importing datasets… You will have no direct access to graphs via script… (a major let down of this app IMO). I would be interested if you get this to work as I have had very little luck with XML illustrator is very fussy with this.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2011 2:22 PM   in reply to hovercraft2x

You can script the importing/replacing of the XML data and run through each data set and save to file. You would need to script the creation of the XML too. This is the part where I have struggled in the past.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points