Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Scanning problem in Acrobat X

Jan 22, 2011 9:05 AM

I'm using an Epson Perfection 3200 Photo flatbed scanner and Acrobat X.

Before, when scanning into Acrobat 9, my scanner software would appear and I was able to manually adjust a rectangular area so that it was over the area I wanted to scan. I was also able to Preview before scanning.

Now with Acrobat X, I choose Create PDF from Scanner > Custom Scan. I can type in a paper size (but I used to be able to adjust a red rectangle over the area I want to scan), and there is no Preview option.

How can I get back the ability to manually adjust the area I want to scan and the preview before scanning feature?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 1, 2011 9:47 PM   in reply to jay fresno

For getting a preview and select the area to scan, you have to use the manufacturer's UI. To launch the manufacturer UI before scanning the document, you have to make minor adjustment before scanning. Try the steps mentioned below. Hopefully, your problem will be resolved.

1: Go to Create > PDF from Scanner > Custom Scan

2: Select the scanner from Scanner dropdown button.

3: Click on button "Options" next to scanner dropdown list.

4: In the User interface, select Show Scanner's Native Interface.

5: Now click on Scan button.

You will be shown the manufacturer's UI now wherein you can specify if you want to preview the image and select the desired area for scan.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2011 10:00 AM   in reply to apangasa

I am having the same problem with Win7  64bit and acrobat X Pro, I am using two different HP scanner and neither one will work.  I tried you fix with a few more iterations and I get a fast screen message with is too short to read and then a message "Scanning Canceled".  everything worked with Win XP and acrobat 9.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both Acrobat and the scanners. Could there be a Registry entry that needs to be changed?  Do you have any other ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2011 10:03 PM   in reply to tbarelli

Which scanner model of HP are you using?

The problem you are seeing might be because of paper source mismatch. Please check and let us know the name of driver also that is appearing in your Custom Scan dialog. If the name contains "WIA", you would be getting the Scanner UI before scanning. If this is the case, check the paper source once. If its Automatic Document Feeder, do place some papers in the document feeder and give it a trial again.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2011 11:56 AM   in reply to jay fresno

Hello,

I have a problem with scanning with Adobe Acrobat Professional X. I have a multifunctional Ricoh Aficio 1224C, and I installed the driver (Type 1232 Scanner). When I select the scanner for Ricoh (Type 1232 Scanner) adobe stops responding and I'm not able to scan. My OS is Windows 7 32 bit.

I tried to reinstall the driver and same problem. On my computer I have a brother multifunctional and it works fine.

Can anyone help me? Thank you. Please see the pictures attached.

The error is:

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:    BEX
      Application Name:    Acrobat.exe
      Application Version:    10.0.0.396
      Application Timestamp:    4cc5ebc0
      Fault Module Name:    StackHash_0a9e
      Fault Module Version:    0.0.0.0
      Fault Module Timestamp:    00000000
      Exception Offset:    052d273c
      Exception Code:    c0000005
      Exception Data:    00000008
      OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
      Locale ID:    1048
      Additional Information 1:    0a9e
      Additional Information 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
      Additional Information 3:    0a9e
      Additional Information 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Best Regards,

Cornel

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 10:39 PM   in reply to Marius Cornel

Hi Cornel

We have, in the past, seen issues with Ricoh scanner drivers because of DEP (Date Execution Prevention) policy on Win 7. It seems Ricoh drivers are not DEP compliant and hence Acrobat crashes while dealing with these drivers. There is a workaround which can make scanner work but can compromise system security. So, although I am telling you the steps to disable DEP on Win 7, I would suggest you raise this with Ricoh to update their diver ASAP.

Please follow the steps below to disable DEP:

-          In the Start Menu, navigate to All Programs, thenAccessories.

-          In the Accessories menu, right click on “Command Prompt” and select “Run as administrator.“

-          You may need to provide Administrator credentials at this point.

-          In the Command Prompt window, type “bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff” and press Enter.

-          You should see “The operation completed successfully.“

-          Close the Command Prompt.

-          You must then reboot your computer.

Please let us know if the above steps help.

-Ravish

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 4:59 AM   in reply to Ravish Sharma

Thank you very much Ravish

It works now.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2011 2:13 PM   in reply to Marius Cornel

We upgraded from Adobe Acrobat 6 to Acrobat 10.  We are still using Windows XP.  The scanner in question is a Fujitsu fi-4120C2.  We typically have documents that have both letter and legal size paper.  Per the earlier advice in this forum, I tried using the "Custom Scan" option.  However, when I go to add pages to an existing document, it crashes Adobe.  I have rebooted.  I can't seem to get the latest driver for the scanner to install.  Do you have troubleshooting tips?

It seems that it was much easier to scan pages of dissimilar sizes with Acrobat 6.  Am I missing something about Acrobat 10?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2011 2:48 AM   in reply to Isenbleck

I have a similar problem with an HP Color Laser CM 1312 MFP.  I have updated the drivers to be compatible with Windows 7 (64 bit) but still I cannot get Adobe X Pro to scan a document from the printer's flatbed.  Any help would be much appreciated because I'm not much of an expert with this stuff.  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2011 11:32 PM   in reply to Isenbleck

Hi,

I tried replicating the issue on Windows XP with Fujitsu fi-5220C and the same settings as specified by you but could not replicate this issue. The documents I used were of different sizes including: A4, letter, business cards.

And as you mentioned, you are seeing this issue when you choose "Add page to existing document". Does it works fine when you create a new document?

I am not sure whether it would work or not but can you try scanning via WIA driver once. In this case, you can select the paper settings like brightness, contrast, resolution, paper type in the scanner's manufacturer UI. Rest of the settings including append to existing document, optimizing settings, paper capture settings would be specified in the Acrobat Scan dialog only.

Please let me know the outcome.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points