Skip navigation
RJAfan6
Currently Being Moderated

Flash player installed, however doesnt work

Jan 22, 2011 12:29 PM

Ok, my computer got some fake anti virus thing on my cpu the other day and my tech guy took care of it and got rid of it, but it must have deleted Adobe, and now when i try to use things like youtube it tells me i need to download the latest version of flash player.

Ok so i did that, everything with the download goes smoothly, however when i go back to youtube it tells me i still need to download the latest version? I have looked at the Tools>Manage Add-Ons thing and everything is enabled including shockwave. I have probably repeated this step almost 10 times. Im not quite sure how to tell if im on a 32 or 64 bit? I use IE7 on windows 7. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 22, 2011 12:54 PM   in reply to RJAfan6

Hi, thanks for starting your thread. When you go here to the test site, what version of Flash Player does it display?

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ 

I think you said that you can't see the animation, is that correct?

If you have the Shockwave Flash Object in All addons as the other person did and it's Enabled, then you should be able to see the Flash logo animate(spin) Just when you go to the site, it doesn't continue to "spin" though.

Let's do this first.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2011 1:21 PM   in reply to RJAfan6

Ok, Go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash  Open Flash and post back all files listed there. I need to make sure you have the correct Files Installed.

Did you receive any error messages when Installing?

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2011 1:35 PM   in reply to RJAfan6

Hi, no problem. I'll post the directions for you in a few minutes. I'm sure you know you must use the Administrator Account when Uninstalling/Installing.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2011 1:48 PM   in reply to RJAfan6

I don't have Win7, but I think the directions are similar. Click on Start, then Computer, right click on Local Disk(C:) and Open,

right click on Windows & Open, right click on System32 & Open, right click on Macromed & Open, right click on Flash & Open.

If you see any files NPSWF, then those would be for Firefox, etc. Right click on those and click on Properties to obtain the version numbers. You didn't say if you use any non-IE browser, but while you are there....

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2011 2:09 PM   in reply to RJAfan6

Hi, ok. Replace System32 with SysWOW64 and try that.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2011 2:27 PM   in reply to RJAfan6

Hi, now you know you have a 64bit Operating System, but using the 32bit browser:-) Those Flash files are correct. The problem is the Shockwave Flash Object.

Are you sure that it is listed exactly that way and not Shockwave Flash ActiveX ? What version is listed?

Also what Anti-Virus do you use?

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2011 2:35 PM   in reply to RJAfan6

Hi, ok. That one if for the Shockwave Player, which is entirely different than Flash Player. Easy to get them mixed up.

You're welcome, I know it is not the easiest thing to work thru. Too many variables:-)

I'm going to dinner soon so will review and post back the next step.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2011 2:44 PM   in reply to RJAfan6

Hi, no. Wait until we check a couple of other things. You may need that one. The SWO(Shockwave Flash Object) will be added to that during the next step.

I wouldn't do any Uninstalling/Installing or try to "fix" anything. I have a pretty good idea what needs to be done, but will post that info a little later.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2011 6:51 PM   in reply to RJAfan6

Hi again, sorry for the long delay. I think we may want to Uninstall/Install, but this time using the Manual method.

Download and SAVE to your Desktop the Uninstaller:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Download and SAVE the FP IE Installer to your Desktop:  Use the one for Windows/Internet Explorer  EXE Installer

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html

Use the Administrator Account

Disable any msn/aol/yahoo messenger services in the system tray(area near the clock)

After that, then CLOSE all browser Windows, you only want to be looking at your Desktop

Open AVG User Interface. (Right Click to Open)
    Double-click on the Resident Shield.
    Un-tick the option Resident Shield active.

Save the changes.

Open AVG User Interface.(Right Click to Open)
    Double-click on the LinkScanner.
    Un-tick the option Enable AVG Search-Shield and Enable Active Surf-Shield.

Save the changes.

RUN the Uninstaller and when it is finished, Reboot(restart) your computer

RUN the Installer and when it is finished, Reboot your computer

Re-enable the AVG Resident Shield ONLY until after you test the browser here: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/  

You may want to print out these instructions before starting.

Look them over and if you have any questions , let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2011 7:55 PM   in reply to RJAfan6

Well, I was hoping a fresh Uninstall/Install would work. No at this time I would not retry. Did you receive any error messages this time?

I want to check a couple of things, will post back.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2011 8:38 PM   in reply to RJAfan6

Hi, There is a Setting in Win7 and it is in Vista also and IE7 and IE8. It is UAC(User Account Control) Other users are having an issue with this.

This is the Microsoft site that has a screenshot showing the Settings. Take a look and then let me know what Setting you have for this UAC.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/user-acc ount-control  

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2011 10:04 PM   in reply to RJAfan6

Thanks. Well, for some reason the Settings on this UAC has been preventing a couple of users from Installing that Shockwave Flash Object, same problem you are having. Then we have had a couple of users that they have all of the Flash files correctly Installed AND the Shockwave Flash Object, but cannot view Flash content or videos.

So something is going on and so far it is Win7/IE8. I've worked on about 5 or more threads on this in the past week. The solution came from a user earlier than this week however. I had to search to find it!!

Those that changed the Setting to the lowest Setting were then able to Run the Uninstaller and Installer again and were successful.

Also one user that had everything correctly Installed, lowered their Setting to the lowest had success.

I've been doing some research and searching to try to find out the reason.

You may want to try to lower it to the lowest Setting, Uninstall and Install again to see if this is also affecting your system.

Getting late in my time zone so I won't be on too much longer.

If you want to try this tomorrow, that's ok too.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2011 10:14 PM   in reply to RJAfan6

Thanks, yes I would do it exactly as you did before. Otherwise we won't know if it doesn't work this time(I hope it does) what was the reason. This way, we are only making that UAC change.

I'll check back on your thread. Just doing some late kitchen duty:-)

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2011 10:52 PM   in reply to RJAfan6

Well, I'm sorry that it didn't. I'm sure you used the test site. I thot that would work, since it has for the ones I told you about.

I don't know but the removal of viruses or malware can sometimes cause problems, exactly what I don't know since I don't understand how they remove them. Whether this could affect the Registry, I don't know for sure. I know that the Flash Player Installer Installs into the Windows Registry and if anything is amiss there for whatever reason, there is a tool that Microsoft has that corrects it. We'll see about that.

Tomorrow, I'll have you take a look at something. It 's not difficult.

Well, we did all we could today/tonight:-)

Tomorrow is another day,

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2011 9:41 AM   in reply to RJAfan6

Hi RJA, On your last comment, yes you can Install the FF browser or Chrome for that matter. Chrome comes embedded with Flash Player. The only thing of course is that Flash Player isn't getting Installed in IE.

If you receive any messages while we are troubleshooting, be sure to let me know.

Since changing the UAC Setting didn't work as I had thot, it could be that this isn't applicable to the 64bit system. I'm not sure on that, would have to check the other threads on whether they had 32bit or 64bit.

Now did you have any problems with Flash Player before having that virus and then the removal of it?

Some users have had success in Installing an older version of Flash Player and once that is done, then Installing the current version. I am going to find that info for you. It would be easier to try and there is Adobe documentation for doing this.

Will post that info back.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Going to take lunch first:-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2011 1:07 PM   in reply to RJAfan6

Hi RJA, WOW!!!  That is great news. Well, that is good info. I have been busy today and finally had the info for you and clicked on your thread and saw your reply. I know that made your day, certainly made mine also.

Go figure is all I can say in doing that. I know other users say that is how they did it too. I would be interested in knowing which version of Flash Player 9?

Thanks so much and when you can I would appreciate it if you marked your thread as answered. As you can see there are several threads that are having this problem and I know they would benefit. So thanks in advance.

You know how busy we were last night. Well if you want to read a thread that was as busy as we were, go here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/781539?tstart=0

There are just Posts #1-5.

Thanks!!

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2011 2:23 PM   in reply to eidnolb

I am experiencing same problem as first thread. I have installed

and can see that installation is 'successful' for Adobe Flash Player, however

I am unable to go further. The player on projectplaylist is still insisting that I download

Adobe Flash Player, 10.1, and having done so, it appears in my control panel. Still not able to use the music site.When I attempted to reinstall the software it told me I was a 'spambot'. HELP!!!! PLEASE!!! THANKS!

Lyric1958

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2011 2:33 PM   in reply to Lyric1958

Hi Lyric, Spambot? LOL, hadn't heard of that one. It is best if you start your thread/discussion since this thread is answered,

marked or not!  That way this person won't be getting all of the email notifications, and less confusing that way.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2011 2:40 PM   in reply to RJAfan6

Hi RJA, I think when you bring up reply to me, there is either a place at the bottom of that reply or at the top. I'm not sure, just going by what other users have said. Or maybe it is on the reply that I posted to you. Maybe it's on the next post where you reply to me! I guess I am going to have to start a thread and you can answer it!! LOL I never see what you and the other users see regarding how to mark a thread answered.

Maybe I'll find out since you are not the first person to ask.

On the FP 9 version, I was just wondering if it had to be a particular version of 9.Maybe it doesn't matter as long as it is vs 9.

Glad that worked whichever one it was.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2011 4:42 PM   in reply to RJAfan6

Hi, LOL, I am seriously going to have to find out how that is done. I'll never get to be a 5 Star General at this rate

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2011 7:15 PM   in reply to eidnolb

Hey eidnolb !

Thanks for that, yeah the 'spambot' thing was really wierd,go figure. I've used

Projectplaylist.com for four yrs and nothing like this has ever happened to me

with this site. Spambot? I know, like, whatever!

So thanks for answering my email, I"m off to read your second email with a

resolution, hopefully.

Cheers, Lyric LaCeile

Lyric LaCeile, Platinum International Press, CEO

Biographer;Ghostwriter;International Music Journalist; Interior property

descriptions , Realtor Publications;Resumes;Web content editor

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2011 7:22 PM   in reply to eidnolb

Hey there, This is my  original SOS:))

" I am experiencing same problem as the you are, who could not install your

Flash player updated version. I have installed it numerous times

and can see that installation is 'successful' for Adobe Flash Player in a

window, however

I am unable to go further. In my CONTROL PANEL it states that it has been

installed, but when I go to Projectplaylist.com which I've used for four yrs

without this requirement, it won't allow me to log in, nor is there a contact

number , go figure. The player on projectplaylist is still insisting that I

download    'Adobe Flash Player, 10.1' , and having done so, it appears in my

control panel. Still not able to use the music site.When I attempted to

reinstall the software it told me I was a 'spambot'. HELP!!!! PLEASE!!! NOTHING

I"VE DONE IS WORKING.....I"M TEARING MY HAIR OUT HERE, I AM A JOURNALIST WHO

RELIES ON MUSIC TO INSPIRE ME AS I WRITE.... THANKS!! "

Lyric LaCeile, Platinum International Press, CEO

Biographer;Ghostwriter;Realtor Property Descriptions;Resumes;Web content editor

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)