Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disappearing icons in Acrobat X toolbar

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2011 Jan 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Anyone encountered this? I'm trying out Acrobat X, love the clean interface; a pity though they did not adopt the slider bar for zoom.

About every few hours or so, the some icons on the toolbar will disappear, leaving a black hole or just the gray background. If I continue using Acrobat, it will eventually hang. I'll have to restart the PC, and eventually face the same problem again.

This is a screenshot (before things got worse):

1.PNG

You can see that a number of icons are gone. The ones I missed are the hand and the highlight tool

Then it hangs:

2.PNG

Thanks,

Jay

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of other people have reported a similar effect, so it's on the radar.

Can you reply with some info about your setup please? Operating system and service packs, graphics card model and memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I'm using:

Windows 7 x64

Leadtek WinFast PX8500GT TDH 512MB

Nvidia x64 260.99 drivers

Kingston DDR2-800 CL5 (4 x 2GB)

Intel Core2 Duo E8400

.Net Framework 4

Dx 11

Regards,

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2011 Feb 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same thing-everything operating normal, then icons start dropping and eventually get an internal error window.  Happens real fast if I have more than one pdf open versus only one pdf, but none the less it happens with just one pdf also-just takes a little longer.  Do not have to shut down and restart the computer, just have to close the files and reopen.  It appears the refresh of t screen is not happening and thought it was just my desktop, but today the laptop exhibited the same.  I believe its an incompatability with the windows system, am testing it on another desktop to see if it happens.  Both systems have Windows XP and 2G RAM, desktop video is intel chipset 82945G Express, laptop is Mobile Intel 945 Express.  Hoep this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2011 Feb 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you are quite right. I neglected to make these two points. 1) A restart is actually not necessary. Killing Acrobat.exe in TM works as well. 2) It is true for me also that the more PDFs open at a time, the more likely I'll get the problem.

Interesting that it is occuring also on your Intel graphics chipset, on top of my NVIDIA graphics chipset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does it make a difference if you turn off 2d graphics acceleration?

edit>preferences>page display

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see this preference listed under page display

Billy W Kilpatric

[address removed]

CRC Site Support Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah yes if the GPU isn't supported

that option will not show in the prefs.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405218.html for a list of supported gpu for Acrobat 9. (no X version of that doc as of yet)

btw neither of you are using a beta release of Acrobat X are you, or had one installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in the section titled "Rendering" on the Preferences dialog "Page Display" tab, last checkbox on the right column underneath "Enhance thin lines".

It's also worth going to the General tab and ticking "Check 2D graphics accelerator" at the bottom, so next time Acrobat starts it'll verify the driver stack is compliant. You won't see anything unless there's a problem.

p.s. - Please don't post personal contact info or email addresses in your messages. You *will* be spammed like crazy, and the more tidbits the spambots find, the more they'll pester us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will check the settings, if you could alter the post and remove the address, I sent from work email account and didn't notice until I checked postings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enhanced thin lines box is checked, the General tab does not display any "Check 2D graphics accelerator" box so it must not be a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if the 2d option isn't available it means your GPU isn't supportedsee my previous post on this.

So the GPU may still be the cause of this, and for now I can only recommend to ensure you have installed the most recent driver available for your GPU.

is this something that only affectes the UI, or are the contents of a PDF affected by this as well?

also I removed your details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most current driver is installed and read article, not much help on article.  When the fault occurs (which it always has since loading the X version), the symptoms previously described (loss of buttons, icons, etc) continue to cascade until the entier document is unreadable and if left open longer, the entire document becomes unstaable and unreadable.  Then I can only shut down Adobe using CNTRL/ALT/DEL and shutting down adobe.exe process.

Also-both the desktop and laptop ran Adobe 8 Pro without any problems.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On one more note, I have IE8, Outlook, and 2 Word (all Office 2010 versions and XP-SP3) documents and are unaffected, only Adobe pdfs are affected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill, Dave and Simon,

I have changed the preferences - check 2d graphics accelerator, enhance thin lines (was checked by default) - as suggested. I will report back the next time the problem occurs in spite of the changes. The option to check 2d graphics accelerator is available on my system.

Simon asked whether the contents of the PDF are affected. It is not in the sense that the file is not corrupted. Only the UI display become erratic and the program eventually crashes. Usually, the auto-save feature works to recover any edits - highlights, comments etc - that I've made.

Cheers,

Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2011 Feb 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still so frustrated with this product, any chance you Adobe guys want to swap me Ac

robat 8 Pro for this Acrobat X Standard.  It worked for me flawlessly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2011 Feb 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> have changed the preferences - check 2d graphics accelerator, enhance  thin lines (was checked by default) - as suggested. I will report back  the next time

> the problem occurs in spite of the changes.

Yep, it has crashed again; first time after making the changes. Same symptoms. I had about 7 PDFs open when it crashed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I normally have 3-4 pdf's open, IE*, and Word 2010, I got pissed yesterday after multiple crashes and decided to try some options.  Here is what I set under Control Panel, System Properties, Advanced, Performance Settings, Advanced, changed Processor Scheduling to Background Services, Memory Services to System Cache, and Virtual Memory set to to Change Custom Settings at initial 2M and max 3054M.  Left four pdf's up over night and they are all operational still this morning.  Will continue to monitor today for failures and report findings.

untitled.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2011 Feb 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well at first appearance it ws working, but the more I searched

the documents, the icons started disappearing again, so this is not a good solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2011 Feb 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add info.  I have the disappearing icons, etc., which always end up in an internal message error.  SOMETIMES, I can use Alt-F4 on the document to close a "hidden window" and allow me to do a save.  Like everyone else, I usually have multiple documents open.  It seems to me (anecdotal - still trying to assemble evidence) that the disappearing icons and internal message error are more likely to occur if I have created a new document through scanning.  Thinking my problem might be my ATI add-in card, I dropped back to the Intel video in my HP desktop and tried to make everything as vanilla as possible.  No difference - not even sure if there was a difference in frequency.  Also, installed trial on two other machines with same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2011 Feb 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am am having the disappearing icon problem. But googling the problem only results in this forum, and it looks like only three people have bothered to complain. Is it possible that the problem is so rare, and that it can't be reproduced at Adobe? I suspect that the three reporters are the only three with the patience to try to fix the bug, everybody else, including me, just uninstalls Acrobat X and reverts back to a working version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2011 Feb 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be right.  I am a heavy Acrobat Pro user and reverting to an earlier version may be the best cure.  If Nitro and others continue development, I may finally be persuaded to abandon Adobe as a lost cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2011 Feb 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SimonATS or other Adobe folks,

Are you understanding our concerns here, have not heard from anyone at Adobe for awhile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2011 Feb 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kilpatricb,

I understand the issues going on here and I've highlighted this thread to Acrobat engineering.

The problem I have is that I'm unable to reproduce this on a variety machines I have access too.

To anyone already posted in this thread or about to post, what would help is to supply a screenshot of what you are seeing, plus details on which windows you ar eusing and if it's 32 or 64 bit.

plus hardware details

is it a laptop, netbook, or dekstop

Video card used

Ram and cpu.

plus a broief description when you see the icons going,

is it upon aplication launch,

or when doing something in a document

also note if you have more than one document open at the same time or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2011 Feb 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested three systems.  Two are listed below.  Problem seemed to start when there were multiple Acrobat Pro windows open.  Also seemed that high memory utilization (especially Firefox + Acrobat) and Acrobat "Create Document by Scanning" are correlated with problem.  Both systems below have add-in ATI video adapters.   The Win 7 machine has an ATI Radeon HD 4550.   The Vista machine has an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT.

System 1  Win 7 Ultimate.

Win7.png

System 2  Vista

Vista.png

System 3  Win XP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines