Skip navigation
Ruth38
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Reader X wont open in Windows XP Pro Sp3

Jan 23, 2011 5:28 PM

I have uninstalled every adobe product on my PC which is running Windows XP Pro SP3, then downloaded Adobe Reader X again and reinstalled it.

Adobe reader X simply wont open - generates the "Adobe Reader has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience" message.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2011 3:03 AM   in reply to Ruth38

May be some corrupt prefrence settings which are creating problem. Try this.

1. Uninstalled all the Adobe products.

2. Delete the files and folders from C:\Program files\adobe\

3. Delete the files and folders from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe

4. Increase the Virtual Memory.

5. Download and install Adobe Reader X.

Cheers!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2011 5:38 AM   in reply to Ruth38

Announcement: Would you like to help us improve Adobe Reader?

Hi All,

We have had a few bug reports related to Adobe Reader X protected mode coming in from you in this forum. We have addressed a large number of them in our upcoming Reader update and we would like to hear your feedback.

To that extent, we would like to invite you to the Adobe Reader Prerelease program and try out the latest build. To participate, please fill in the form available at

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=reader_prerelease_ interest and indicate Adobe Reader as the product of your interest.

We look forward to your active participation, feedback and help towards making Reader a better product.

Thanks and regards,
    Adobe Prerelease Team

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2011 7:58 AM   in reply to ruchi_agrawal_adobe

The link you posted directs you to a page that says "Sorry, this page is not available"

By the way, I tried the steps posted above, and am unable to get Adobe Reader X to open at all.

So, I tried the following steps which are posted (in thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/772223) which indicate the following steps:

1. Right click on Reader icon and choose Run As..

2.  Select 'The following user...' radio button

3. Provide credentials (username and password of your system)

4.  Choose 'Open with protected mode disabled' and click OK.

...and that opened Adobe Reader X.  However, I tried opening a file from the File menu, and the application ends up non responsive then pops up the 'Adobe Reader has encountered a problem and needs to close'.  I tried double clicking an Adobe file, and the 'Adobe Reader has encountered a problem and needs to close' message appears.

Anyone at Adobe know how to fix Reader X?  I ended up going to the following site to get version 9.4 at http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions

and now all is well with the world

Message was edited by: wrightinter

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2011 3:05 PM   in reply to Ruth38

I uninstalled Adobe X in order to install older version. After installation almost complete I get a Application not found message. What is that?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points