Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Insert keyframe in classic tween doesn't preserve curve data in CS5?

Jan 27, 2011 10:06 AM

In earlier versions of Flash (CS3 and CS4) this technique I am about to describe works perfectly. Since Flash CS5 came along, it stopped working. I have no idea how to get it to work again. Here's what I want to accomplish:

Draw a circle shape on the stage, convert it to a movie clip, add a new keyframe on frame 15, while on frame 15 select the circle movie clip and move it a good distance away from its original position, right click on, frame 8 and choose "create classic tween". With the classic tweened timeline selected, select the "edit tween" button in the properties panel to create a custom easing curve. I made my own easing curve that eases in and out to make the result more obvious when I describe what is now broken in Flash CS5. With onion skinning turned on, and the entire range of animation selected, you can easily see what the curve is doing to the movie clip.

Below are screen captures of the timeline, curve editor window with my custom curve, and the resulting circle tweening on the stage with onion skinning turned on.

timeline_1.jpg

curve_1.jpg

ball_1.jpg

This next step is where Flash CS5 breaks, and where Flash CS3 and CS4 work.

Select, the 8th frame on the timeline, and insert a keyframe. In older versions of Flash, the custom curve would stay true to what it was before you inserted the keyframe. The curve would be cut at the point where the keyframe was inserted and the first part of the curve would get assigned to the tween from frame 1-8(in this case), and the last chunk of the split curve would get assigned to the frames 8-15(also in this case), thus preserving the original tween. However, this does not happen anymore. Instead, it does half of what it's supposed to do.

Here's what it looks like when you add a keyframe at frame 8 with my example animation:

timeline_2.jpg

- first frame selected, looking at the curve editor window:

curve_2.jpg

- this is exactly the same curve the entire span had (frame 1 - 15) before I added the keyframe on frame 8. The curve you should be seeing right now is the first half of this curve, not the whole thing. Next, let's look at the last section of the tween:

timeline_3.jpg

- with frame 8 selected, let's look at the curve for this tween:

curve_3.jpg

- It's exactly what we'd expect, the last half of the original curve. Why didn't this happen to the tween in the first half? I don't know. Here's what the onion skin looks like before and after I insert the keyframe:

ball_3.jpg

ball_4.jpg

These onion skins should look exactly the same (except for the fact that there should be a bright green circle where the new keyframe is, for example, the middle ball, like you see in the second image), but if you look at the second one, you can see that the first half of the tween does not match, and that the last half does. When adding a keyframe anywhere in an existing tween, the original tween should remain preserved - the original curve should get split and distributed correctly to the new tween in front and behind the new keyframe.

I've tried using graphic symbols instead, I've tried playing with sync being on and off, i've tried it with using the built in easing (not custom easing curves), I've tried every method for inserting a keyframe that flash has to offer.. I can't figure out how to make it split the curve correctly. Has anyone else run into this problem? I do a lot of character animation, and this technique was my bread and butter, and now it's gone. I tried adapting to the new motion editor, but for character animation, the classic tween is so much faster.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Thanks!

-Tyson

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 8, 2013 5:26 AM   in reply to TySteck

I know it's an old post, but I was just about to post the same, when I found this thread.

This issue is extremely frustrating - it's the same in Flash CS6 - they didn't fix it. It is so ridiculous how Adobe take something that works and make it bad. This and some other "improvements" prevent me from moving forward from Flash CS3 to any further version...

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jan 9, 2013 4:27 AM   in reply to soom1976

did you report it to adobe?  this is a user-to-user forum, not the place to report bugs. 

bug reports:  https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform )

i reported it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 5:16 AM   in reply to kglad

How can I submit a bug report, if Flash is not even listed in the form? Did you report it - how? I see many Flash something , but not Flash Pro

Also I believe it was already reported with CS5 and nothing has changed...

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jan 9, 2013 7:55 AM   in reply to soom1976

i reported it for a fix (or, at least, consideration for a fix) for the next version of flash pro which is undergoing beta testing.   that won't show up in the link i gave you which is for non-beta testers.

i don't control whether it will be fixed or not but i know it will be addressed by the adobe engineers.   i've reported about 4 issues that i've encountered via the adobe flash forums that i've reported and that have been fixed in the next version of flash. 

it's too soon to tell what they engineers think about this report.  currently, it's listed as "unverified" which means they haven't had time to see if they can duplicate the issue.  we'll see. (i can duplicate it so its status as unverified will change, i'm sure.)

p.s.  "flash authoring" is the place to report "flash pro" requests/bugs.  i don't think it's obvious those are the same and have initiated a request to see if "flash authoring" can be changed to "flash pro".

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 3:51 AM   in reply to kglad

Thanks kglad

It looks that in CS6 many issues have been fixed, which werent up until now and went thtough 3 versions unfixed. It might be that Adobe Flash developers started finally to listen to their users instead of rushing the market. I know that the whole classic character animation world (like myself) is stuck in CS3 because of those many many bugs and issues, that not only were not adressed but even worsened after CS3... Let's hope this is changing.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jan 10, 2013 7:17 AM   in reply to soom1976

you're welcome.

the bug report status has been changed.  it is now scheduled to be fixed!

(better late, than never.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 8:55 AM   in reply to kglad

How do you see the status of a bug report ? It would be very helpful to those who report bugs (or try to, as their site is pratically always down)

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 12:07 PM   in reply to kglad

Well, this is good news, but my joy was too early - after working a bit more with Flash CS6 I have realized that nothing realy changed to the better - it is so obvously not being developed in respect to visual artists at all - it is really disappointing. I don't know if it's becoming better for developers, but for animators it is a dead end. Many swich to ToonBoom, and those who must work with Flash are stuck in CS3. So many bugs, problems, useful features removed, with every update, and I know they were reported many many times, but still - nothing changes. That's why it is hard to believe that this bug report, along with so many others, will ever make it to be really fixed...

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jan 10, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to soom1976

the bug report for the next version of flash pro was made 1 day ago.  hopefully, it will be fixed in the next beta version of flash pro but certainly is not fixed in cs 6. i don't know if this bug was reported previously for cs6 but i, just now, reported it for cs6.

the bug reporting mechanism for beta versions is different than the reporting mechanism for already released software.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 12:34 PM   in reply to kglad

So does it mean, that if we report bugs in CS6 it will not even go to the next version? I suppose there aren't many beta testers in the animation/visual arts field, as I would expect that many  many things would have changed by now...

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,228 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jan 10, 2013 7:58 PM   in reply to soom1976

that, i don't know because i don't know how to get feedback from adobe about current product bug reports.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 1:30 AM   in reply to soom1976

I totally agree with soom1976. Animators are completely forgotten since CS3. All is now developper-oriented.

But AS3 developpers don't use Flash Pro....

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points