Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Deploy to web clarification...

Jan 27, 2011 4:50 PM

Hello all,

So I am just getting into Catalyst, I just love this program but still have a lot to learn. Anyway, I am currently working on creating a fairly complex slideshow application for the company I work for. I first started by creating a few prototypes using just Catalyst (ie Catalysts vector objects, text, etc.). I built a really simple application then moved up to something more complex (still using Catalyst-only objects).

After I felt comfortable with the Catalyst interface, I then created a prototype in Illustrator and imported the file into Catalyst. That went really well so I am now working on the final application which is going well except now I am testing things as I go and have noticed the Deploy to Web SWF isn't working locally on my PC (the run local SWF works fine). Is this normal? I have not yet tried the Deploy to Web SWF on our webserver so I am not sure.

The reason I am asking is because my first prototypes work locally using the Deploy to Web SWF but my current project is not working. It goes half way through the preloader and just stops. The only thing I can think of is that I used only Catalyst objects in the first prototypes that I made and now in my current project, the artwork was all created in Illustrator. I am fairly certian everything is optimised properly...all of my vector objects were converted to Symbols in Illustrator prior to sending the AI file over to Catalyst.

Anyway, I am just wondering if it is normal for the Deploy to Web SWF file to not run when it is opened locally on my PC. I think this is normal but it only came up at the end of work today so our web developer wasn't able to try the files I made live on our server. I will have our webdev copy the files to our server tommorow but I was wondering if there is a quick answer to this.

Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 28, 2011 8:02 AM   in reply to bmcgraphics

The quick answer is to this is how the assets are linked or not linked into the project. The main difference between the two deploy types is the security settings. That is what can the Flash Player (which runs your Flash Catalyst project), can access (local or network elements). Based on that requirement, your project might fail silently if you run the wrong version in the wrong location.

Glad you are enjoying using Flash Catalyst!

Chris

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points