Disappearing Illustrator Layers/Assets, AE CS5

Jan 27, 2011 4:36 PM

Hey guys,

First my specs, just in case:

MAC OSX 10.6.6

AE CS5 10.0.1.19

8-Core

24 GB RAM

I'm having the strangest issues with adobe illustrator layers in my timeline... they keep disappearing at random moments during playback. Somtimes its during RAM preview, somtimes its when I'm scrubbing the timeline, but never at the same point and it doesn't seem to be consistant for which layers dissapear or appear. To be clear, the layers themselves are not disappearing in the timeline, but in my active view/camera.

There are 13 illustrator layers, all of them are 3D Layers. I have, at various points, been able to see all of my layers when they should appear on screen, so Its not an issue of a layer getting in the way of my camera and obscuring anything (i don't think). It's not an opacity issue... It seems to be something with my illustrator files and CS5. I've even tried moving the files over to a different machine, and I've tried opening up the project on a Windows box, but the problem persists. I'm truly puzzled.

Its not the biggest issue at the moment, as long as I can get a clean playback in AE for my client this evening, but I'm scared to continue working only to find that I can't render out any of my final project to broadcast.

Anyone have any clues? I'll post updates as needed.

Thanks in advance,

Dylan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 27, 2011 6:14 PM   in reply to thedillpickle

If rendering using OpenGL gives you results that you're happy with, go ahead and do it. But most people aren't happy with it.

I'm guessing that the reason that rendering with OpenGL made things work is that OpenGL turns off Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing. Try turning that off directly and not using OpenGL.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2011 10:12 AM   in reply to thedillpickle

thedillpickle wrote:

First my specs, just in case:

MAC OSX 10.6.6

AE CS5 10.0.1.19

8-Core

24 GB RAM

That kind of machine ought to work well for multiprocessing.  So if Todd recommends turning multiprocessing off, you simply may have your memory and processor allocations out of whack. 

Check out this blog, also by the Good Mr. Kopriva:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/10/please-try-recommended-memo ry-settings-for-after-effects-cs5-and-give-feedback.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2011 1:33 PM   in reply to Dave LaRonde

It's possible that there's a bug with how the Illustrator files are being used when Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing is turned on. I haven't seen such a thing, but it's possible.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2011 8:07 AM   in reply to thedillpickle

Unfortunately I have no solutions but I am having the exact same problem. It seems to be some type of bug as all can be fine and well one minute, then you save & exit, go back in later and an illustrator layer has disappeared. Again, the layers are not disappearing in the timeline, just in the active camera view. I've noticed when they disappear in RAM preview, they are still there when scrubbing and vice versa. My setup is pretty feeble compared to yours so perhaps it is just a RAM thing...

MAC OS X 10.6.5

2.4GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4GB

AE CS5 10.0.1.09

AI CS5 15.0.0

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2011 8:23 AM   in reply to daveking87

I should also point out that I already had 'Render Multiple Files Simultaneously' switched off when the problem started. I've just discovered that if I bring the resolution down to half on the RAM preview then everything is back so perhaps for me it is just the frailties of my machine...I don't see how that could be true in your case though...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2011 10:04 AM   in reply to daveking87

The half res solution was short lived I'm afraid, I have 3 layers which are taking it in turns to disappear. You can make them visible by putting the preview down to half res, then they disappear again, upping it back to full res or putting it down to 1/3 then seem to solve the problem...for about 5 minutes. It's now got to the stage where I'm constantly changing the display resolution just to see my layers again. The real bad news is that despite getting the preview to the stage where I can see all of my disappearing layers & everything is behaving as it should, the render is missing a layer.

Is nobody else having these problems? This is an absolute nightmare.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2011 11:33 AM   in reply to thedillpickle

> At what point do we consider submitting a bug report/request?

As soon as you find yourself thinking that you've encountered a bug.

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2011 4:02 PM   in reply to thedillpickle

I can verify that this is happening to me too routinely since moving to AE CS5. It only seems to happen to Illustrator layers. It is possible to get the layers to display properly if they're exported to Photoshop but this is not a solution for most of my purposes.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2011 12:25 PM   in reply to thedillpickle

None of these standard solutions have worked for me; or in some cases, they seem to work, then the problem recurs. Among the standard fixes that I've applied are: switch on Continuous Rasterize for all Illustrator layers, turn off Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing, and turn on thumbnails in the Project panel. Last time my Illustrator files weren't appearing, I was able to get them to show up by converting brush strokes to outlines in Illustrator and resaving the files.

The Illustrator files are now working okay as long as they're 2D, but I've just converted them to 3D layers and I'm back to square one. I can see the layers in Active Camera view but they disappear in any other view; and when I can see the Illustrator layers, they don't respond when I move the camera around and act as if they're 2D.

After Effects CS5 is now unusable for me. I'm going to have to revert to CS4.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2011 3:18 PM   in reply to Luke Murphy

I'm also having a problem with disappearing Illustrator layers in AE CS5.

When I open up the comp, only the layer bounding boxes and anchor points are visible against the background color. The layers have become entirely transparent, but opacity is set to 100%. The asset thumbnails in the project panel are also affected.

Here's the really strange thing: the layer visibility will return temporarily if I open the layer panel, and click the layer eyeball on and off. When the file is opened again, the layers are invisible again.

Rebuilding the project, reloading the assets and purging the cache makes no difference. Turning on the continuously rasterize switch for each layer does seem to help. This is a very, very simple 2-D test comp: no nesting, effects or even animation yet. I will probably try rebuilding the project in AE CS4 to see if the same problem occurs.

I'm a beginner and have only been using After Effects since last fall (iMac i5/16 GB running OSX 10.6.6).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2011 10:48 AM   in reply to thedillpickle

Hey all!

I soooo had this problem late last night at 1 am in the morning, and though my project is due today, I got so frustrated that I just shut everything down and turned my computer off!  But, when I opened up everything this morning, it was working fine... (twilight zone soundtrack music)

After reading everyone's posts, the only explanation I have is to shut it all down and restart your computer.  My computer is set to clear all my caches and other extras, which refreshes the computer's RAM and resets the program software.  If you're work load is as big as mine (or bigger) you might set your system up to do the same, clear everything out, SAVE AS, and Restart.  As long as you can see all your layers and effects, and the problem is being able to see a preview in active camera, this should work. 

Good Luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 4:52 PM   in reply to DancinDiva2011

I am experiencing this problem as well, and while on hold with Tech Support (who told me no solutiuon exists) I figured out a solution that so far has worked for me. The problem is in how Illustrator saves the file; by default "use compression" is checked; after re-saving the AI file with compression un-checked the problem has gone away.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2011 6:39 AM   in reply to Mackenzie9999

Great that you solved this for your project. I always uncheck compression, so this solution won't work for me.

I finally gave up on my comp with disappearing layers & moved on to other stuff. Fortunately, no problems with infinitely more complex projects in CS5.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2011 11:19 AM   in reply to cflnest

We've been having what sounds like the exact same problem at work, and nothing seemed to help. We tried turning off the multi-processing, turning on/off open GL, continuously rasterizing the illustrator layers, nothing worked... Until we realized that our Illustrator files had a second, huge artboard surrounding Artboard 01. Deleting the larger artboard fixed the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2011 11:22 AM   in reply to richardbwallace

Thanks for the response. What worked for me was re-saving the AI file without compression. Nice that you could solve it one way, and I could solve it another, but Adobe tech support couldn't at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2011 11:41 AM   in reply to Mackenzie9999

We tried that too! And weirdly, it seemed to work after we did that, until we closed the project and came back to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 5:27 AM   in reply to thedillpickle

I had the same problem. I did a render in HDV (1280x720) MP4 and some layers they disappeared when I tried to do render.

The solution that I founded is make the render without compression. Only AVI Uncompresed UYVY and after that compress the clip to the format do you need with the Media Composer.

It was the solution for me.

Suerte y saludos!.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 6:07 AM   in reply to Cote123

Thanks for the response. What worked for me was to re-save the Illustrator file with compression turned off.

Michael MacKenzie Design

60 Meagher Avenue

Milton, MA 02186

Home: (617) 615-8137

Cell: (781) 608-5149

View my demo reel at www.michael-mackenzie.com

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 4:01 AM   in reply to Mackenzie9999

i'm using CS5.5 and i had the same problem... Some layers dissapeared, others were half visible (seemed to be cut). Changing AE setting didn't help, only saving the AI file without compression worked out, at least for now. Pity that AE developers haven't fixed that bug in CS5.5, since it already appeared in CS5

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2012 3:15 PM   in reply to naatb

There was a known issue with layers disappearing when Render Multiple Frames was turned on that was fixed in AE CS5.5, but this could be a different issue. Can you send in the project with the illustrator file in a bug report here? Mark it attention Will Lockwood and I will take a look.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 7:14 PM   in reply to richardbwallace

richardbwallace solved this for me thanks A LOT man!  Tried resaving with compression off, didn't work.  Deleted the large artboard and now everything is rendering perfectly with multiprocessing on.

>Go into your illustrator file

>Zoom all the way out until you see the grey area around your artboard.

>Select your artboard tool on your left toolbar

>Select the large surrounding artboard, press delete.

You don't have to zoom out but it may help in selecting.

I am on CS5.

Been battling with this for months and was forced to work with multiprocessing off!  Thanks again Richard!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2012 7:15 PM   in reply to thedillpickle

I have found the genesis of our problems. I first noticed this on a project where I was using Illustrator (CS5) artwork supplied by a designer. He was using the "Film/Video" presets to make an HD formatted AI file. I liked how handy the grids and title safeties were so I kept using the preset on other projects. Thats when I started noticing artwork disappearing. I had to purge it at multiple points in my timeline just to get a render out.

When I read richardbwallace's idea to look for the second artboard and delete it, everything clicked into place. Instantly everything came back. I have a feeling that Adobe needed to add that artboard to make something in the film and video presets to work the way they do and didn't anticipate or test for this issue.

I have not checked if other presets use the same double artboard trick, but if one of them does, I bet it will cause the same problems.

tl;dr - Video and Film presets in AI add extra artboards which cause the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to thedillpickle

CS6 Illustrator layers interface (labels and icons) - appear / disappear

1. Open layer panel

2. Double click layer icon above the affected layer(s) object(s) that do not show in the layers panel

3. Enable print

Layer interface data re-appears.  This influence cascades to any layers & objects below toggled layer print/noprint

Further testing for the tech boys

1. Creat New Document
    2. Create Box inside artboard
    3. Create layer 2 - make box inside artboard.  
    4. Dble click 2 disble print.  only that layer is affected
    5. Enable print on layer 2
    6. Create a rectangle on layer 2 that spans the artboard and beyond the art board
    7. Disable print on layer 2  - all layers below go blank
    8. Enable print on layer 2 - layers below reappear
    9. Delete the spanning box
    10. Disable print layer 2 - layers all disappear. its like it remembers the object outside the artboard and continues with the bug

anyway I have other things to do today ... so fix it Adobe

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2013 8:43 AM   in reply to thedillpickle

I'm having the same problem. Running Illustrator CC on a MacPro 2 x 3GHz Dual core Xeon, 8GB RAM system 10.7.5. At the same time the Mac also slows down. Some files are fine one day, then the contents of the layers palette disappears the next.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 4:29 AM   in reply to Tim Williams

I have now reverted to CS6 and the problem has gone away.

I can only assume that it's a preferences problem. I would appreciate advice on which files to trash. Does a clean install work with CC?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 4:06 AM   in reply to Tim Williams

I now have a fix for this plus the problem of the inability to log into the cloud. The two seem to be related. The fix is here; http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/unknown-server-error-launchin g-cc.html

Going through their trouble shooting plus deleting the Illustrator 17 preference files in the application support AND the preferences folder  is necessary to perform a complete fix.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points