Skip navigation
Walt Thirion Photography
Currently Being Moderated

Time zone change causes incorrect import into date subfolder

Jan 29, 2011 7:23 AM

I live in Texas but am in Australia for a few weeks. I changed the time zone on my computer (Windows 7/64-bit) and also on my Canon EOS 7D camera. Now when I import pictures, LR 3.3 is having trouble sorting them correctly into the date subfolders. My structure is 2011\2011-01-28. Pictures shot after noon are moved to the next day. The photo meta data is correct and post-import, LR shows the correct time/date so I can manually move them to the correct folder but it is obviously annoying to have to do so.

This all worked correctly in Texas.

I use a 24 hour clock on the camera.

Lightroom v3.3/Camera Raw 6.3.

I shoot in RAW only.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 1, 2011 4:51 AM   in reply to Walt Thirion Photography

Hi CC104,

Did you adjust the time on your computer to local Australian time? If so, did you do that by simply changing the clock, or by adjusting the time zone?

The EXIF standard doesn't specify time zones, so the time embedded into the photo by your camera will be interpreted as a local time (e.g. "14:00:00"). On import, LR will add the local time zone, as it is set on your computer, to all photos on import (e.g. "14:00:00-6:00). Of course, if the time zone on your computer is not the same as the time zone where you took the pictures, that time zone offset will be incorrect - if you took the photo in Sydney, it should have been "14:00:00+10:00".

If you set your computer's timezone to wherever you were when you took the pictures., things should work as they did back home.

Marc

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 2:06 PM   in reply to Walt Thirion Photography

Hi,

I live in Sydney Australia and photos taken and imported while in Sydney have the same problem.

I have placed the bug report below with Adobe.

******BUG******

Problem:

Lightroom incapable of handling time zones correctly on file import.

Steps to reproduce bug:

1. I live in Sydney Australia.

2. I import RAW (CR2) files into Lightroom from my Canon 350D camera.

3. In the import window hovering the mouse over the files displays a date/time 11 hours ahead of the time the photo was taken.

4. The file is then imported and Lightroom is allowed to create the folder.

Results:

If the photo was taken after 1PM the folder created by Lightroom to contain the file has tomorrows date.

The file has the correct date and time.

Photos taken over many weeks create a folder structure that is a mess.

Expected results:

The folder Lightroom creates should correctly match the file date.

NOTE:

Date, Time and region are set correctly on my PC.

The Date and Time are correct in my camera.

Lightroom seems to assume the file date and time is UTC instead of local time and so adds 11 hours to create the folder.

In the discussion forum I have found this problem with Lightroom going back to 2007.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 2:30 PM   in reply to Walt Thirion Photography

I know there have been numerous discussions about timezone problems.  In fact, this has been discussed for quite a few years.

What I totally fail to understand is why Lightroom cares about the timezone setting in the camera or computer.  Why not just ignore the timezone setting and use the time stored in the file?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2011 8:14 AM   in reply to Bob_Peters

What I totally fail to understand is why Lightroom cares about the timezone setting in the camera or computer.  Why not just ignore the timezone setting and use the time stored in the file?

In general, LR 3 does ignore any time zone stored in a photo's metadata, and it just uses the date/time minus the time zone.  You'll see this, for example, in grid view, where any time zones stored in the metadata are ignored, and in Smart Collection queries.   But its failure to ignore time zones in the import folders appears to be a design oversight or bug, perhaps a legacy of earlier versions of LR that had a different approach to time zones.

An aside: Modern metadata standards (XMP) actually require time zones to be stored in image metadata.  There is even an extension to the EXIF standard that allows time zones to be specified, but I don't believe many cameras implement that extension. LR 3's overall design tries to hide the presence of these time zones, in the apparent belief that most of its users don't care to track the absolute time that an image was created or edited.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2011 4:00 AM   in reply to Walt Thirion Photography

Hi CC,

The bug report form includes a statement that reports are not replied to personally.

Hopefully the fix will be in the next update.

I travel to Melbourne about once a year. It is one of my favourite cities.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2012 4:40 AM   in reply to john-cf

This bug still exists in Lightroom 4.  

I'm in Thailand (UTC+7).    My Nikon D7000 is set to the correct local time and time zone.     I'm using Windows 7 and it is set to the correct local time and time zone.

When I import photos and they are displayed in the import dialog if I mouse over the photos the time shown in the pop up is 6 hours later than the current local time,

and that is often the next day as well.  So imports go into a directory with the wrong day and I have to manually move them to the correct day after the import is

finished.

Once the file has been imported and I'm just viewing the pictures in Library mode and mouse over the photos, the pop up shows the correct local time at which

the pictures were taken.

I viewed the EXIF and XMP data of my photos with a separate program and that programs confirms that all dates are correctly expressed as a time with +7 hours

appended to denote the time zone.

I'm surprised that this glaring a bug still exists in Version 4...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to jkf385

I'm sorry to report that this bug still exists in Lightroom 5.   It's really shocking that something so basic, so annoying  and so easy to fix is not fixed while lots of complicated things are added.  Clearly there is something wrong with Adobe's process for choosing which things to fix.

If Adobe will give me the source I will volunteer to fix this bug.  It will take me less than 5 minutes.  

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 10:28 AM   in reply to jkf385

They don't seem to care

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 10:35 AM   in reply to GaryRowe

Hate to say it people but you notice how many reports of this there is???

There is something wrong in your settings somewhere I suspect either camera or computer.

I travel extensively and in fact at the moment am in Nortern Uganda and have never seen any issue except through operator error!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 11:25 AM   in reply to Geoff the kiwi

Geoff, I hate to contradict you, but there is definitely a bug here (but only when importing via a direct camera attachment into one of Lightroom's dated folder schemes). It's been in existence at least since LR3, and has been acknowledged by Adobe at the feedback site....and having just checked, they still haven't fixed it in LR5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 12:06 AM   in reply to John R. Ellis

Somebody's done that a few hours ago.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 6:25 AM   in reply to Jim Wilde

Well I sit corrected Jim....... have never used a USB cable to d/load!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 7:03 AM   in reply to Geoff the kiwi

Me neither, Geoff....only when testing for others.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points