Skip navigation
VirtualCoder
Currently Being Moderated

Please recommend a code obfuscator & a data encription scheme ?

Feb 1, 2011 7:53 AM

Hi Folks,

What, if anything, are you using to protect your Flex/AS3 source code and AIR/SqlLite based data ?

Thanks for your help,

VC

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 1, 2011 9:08 AM   in reply to VirtualCoder

With our Flex applications, we don't obfuscate our code.  We don't have any sensitive data hard coded in it.

We do encrypt data that we store on the user's database (AIR's SQLite database).  All other files are binaries that are stored on user's file-system.  For these files, we just obfuscate the filename.

Here is some in-depth documentation on encrypting databases.

You will need to use as3corelib with the examples in the link above.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2011 1:00 PM   in reply to VirtualCoder

i know an online ActionScript, mxml, Flex obfuscator . Works fine with my flex projects. http://onlineobfuscator.com/outils/1002-en-free-online-flex-actionscri pt-swf-obfuscator.html

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2011 1:27 PM   in reply to VirtualCoder

Where ya been VirtualCoder ?!  We missed you, I tell you these adobe devs have just been running roughshod over people and getting out of line.  As far as obfuscation, I don't use it, but I write boring internal "put-you-to-sleep-like-a-fifth-of-brandy" types of software.

If you are using Flex would have to say, what are you exactly trying to keep away from the competition.  If I get your application I can deduce your business rules by using it and seeing what it allows.  Depending on the relationship between your DTO's and your db I can figure out what your database schema looks like as they fly over the wire.  So again what exactly are we obfuscating from the user ?

Now if it is an AIR app that is a different story...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2011 4:34 PM   in reply to VirtualCoder

IMHO, obfuscation is  a waste of time.

Code has no inherent value. It's the business processes that give it value. If you have something worth stealing, it will be your idea. You need lawyers to protect that, not obfuscation.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 7:31 PM   in reply to drkstr_1

@drkstr - Dumbest thing I have ever heard. Coming up with the idea for a game is the easiest part. All the time are work is in writing the code and making the assets.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points