Skip navigation
yvaine
Currently Being Moderated

Merge multiple pdf data files into Excel 2007 spreadsheet with 10 X Pro

Feb 3, 2011 10:26 AM

I have many forms that were filled by users with the data still live (not locked). Using Adobe Acrobat 8, there was no problem to use these interactive pdf forms to merge the data directly into an Excel 2007 spreadsheet. All the data would write onto the spreadsheet. I could even use a combination of xml and pdf files from the same form.

However, since I upgraded to Acrobat 10 X pro, it no longer works. I have first to export each single pdf file to xml. This takes an enormous amount of time that I do not have. The only thing that downloads is the name of the file. None of the live data print to the spreadsheet.

1. Why is this feature no longer working in 10 pro? 2. Is there another way to make this work as with Acrobat 8 or 9? 3. If not possible, is it possible to have both Acrobat version 9 and version 10 on the same computer? (I was told by our IT people that it is not possible).

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2011 12:18 PM   in reply to yvaine

With no files open in Acrobat, open the Tools Pane, Forms Panel, and click "More form options". From the dropdown choose "Manage form data" -> "Merge data files into spreadsheet". You can them pick a whole series of PDFs or FDFs containing filled form entries, and export them as a single XML or CSV file which will open in Excel.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 27, 2011 5:12 PM   in reply to yvaine

This is a serious problem. The Merge datafiles to spreadsheet functionallity does not work in the same way as it did.

I have 300-odd forms from which I extract data, the largest of which has 955 fields. Acrobat X grenerates a csv with 350-odd fields, Acrobat 9 produces one with all 955 fields. Until this issue is resolved I will have to revert to Acrobat 9. This is a serious bug or loss of functionallity that needs to be addressed.

I cannot see how the Action Wizard could be used to batch the export of data to xml - a batch export would probably work as Acrobat X seems to treat xmls differently although I have not had to to fully investigate.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points