Skip navigation
acwolff9
Currently Being Moderated

PDF To Writable PDF

Feb 3, 2011 6:44 PM

I am using Acrobat Pro 9.

I have created a pdf from InDesign.

My layout in Indesign includes locations for text.

I would like to make this text writable in the pdf.

Is there a way to use the text from the generated PDF as the fields or do I need to create new fields and generate a blank PDF from InDesign.

Please help!

Hope there is a way to preserve my text layout and not create the fields separately.

Thanks!

Replies
  • George Johnson
    11,669 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Feb 3, 2011 7:01 PM   in reply to acwolff9

You add fields to the PDF using the various forms tools, which allow you to create text fields. In Acrobat 9, select "Forms > Add or Edit Fields". Your layout won't be affected.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,669 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Feb 3, 2011 7:10 PM   in reply to acwolff9

If you mean that you want to allow someone to change the text that's part of the contents of the page, the answer is no. Although Acrobat is able to edit, it's not the way to go, and can't work with Reader.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,669 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Feb 3, 2011 7:26 PM   in reply to acwolff9

So you're wanting to avoid the the process of manually creating the form fields in Acrobat, correct? Are you looking for a method to automatically generate the form fields?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2011 9:56 PM   in reply to acwolff9

You can't convert existing text into a field, but if you export your PDF so that it "looks like a form", with boxes or underlines areas for the fields, and run Acrobat's form wizard on it, there is the option to automatically recognize where to put the fields. It usually requires fine-tuning but it saves a lot of time.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,669 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Feb 3, 2011 10:29 PM   in reply to acwolff9

Forms > Start Forms Wizard

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,669 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Feb 4, 2011 9:22 AM   in reply to acwolff9

Would it help if it were possible to automatically convert interactive buttons that you create in InDesign to text fields in Acrobat?

FWIW, I doubt using the Form Wizard will help if you can get it to work. It seems that problem you're having is related to the positioning of the text fields and the wizard gives you no control.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,669 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Feb 4, 2011 9:41 AM   in reply to acwolff9

I was going to suggest a method if you think that would help. I have to admit to not understanding what the problem is exactly, so I don't know if it would help.

The method I hinted at involves using JavaScript to detect any interactive buttons that were created in InDesign and replace them with text fields, using the same coordinates.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,669 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Feb 4, 2011 9:43 AM   in reply to acwolff9

It means that the buttons you create in InDesign will work in the PDF that you generate by exporting to PDF. Unfortunately, buttons are the only type of form field that you can create in InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,669 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Feb 4, 2011 9:51 AM   in reply to acwolff9

OK. I'll be able to post a script you can use, but not until later today. It's on a different machine than the one I'm using at the moment.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,669 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Feb 4, 2011 10:54 AM   in reply to acwolff9

Out of curiousity, how are you doing it?

Regarding crop marks, I don't know, but it would be a good question for the InDesign forum.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points