Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Extension Manager CS5 does not recognize all CS5 apps

Feb 5, 2011 2:44 PM

I'm on a Mac running OS X 10.5.8 using Extension Manager 5.0.334. When Extension Manager launches, it only recognizes four of the installed Creative Suite applications: Fireworks, Dreamweaver, InCopy and Bridge. Installed CS5 apps also include InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Flash Catalyst, etc. None of those show up in the Extension Manager.

When I attempt to install an extension for one of those apps (namely InDesign,) I either get an error message saying "Failed to install the Creative Suite Extension "Macintosh HD: Users: username:Desktop: Overlay Creator.zxp. Please make sure the manifest.xml of this extension is valid and the Extension Manager recognizes at least one product which the extension supports. The extension will not be installed" OR "This extension can not be installed, it requires InDesign version 7.0 or greater." (I have InDesign v7.03 installed)

I've reinstalled the Creative Suite, reinstalled the Extension Manager and reinstalled my operating system and none of those has had any effect on the programs that the Extension Manager recognizes.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2011 6:59 AM   in reply to jennpade

Each CS5 app which Extension Manager supports has a file named XManConfig.xml, which generally located in configuration sub-directory. Please make sure Extension Manager has read privilege to this file. There is a key named "SupportedInSuite" in this xml file, its value should be CS5, please check this value is correct.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2011 7:24 PM   in reply to jennpade

You should have Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit CS5 installed in your machine. You can launch Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit CS5, input "BridgeTalk.__diagnostics__;" (exclude double-quotes), then click "Debug->Run" or press F5, you will get diagnostics information in Javascript Console window at the top right corner.

Please check whether all your CS5 apps have been listed under "Targets" section, and they have correct path and exename. You can paste these output information here. Extension Manager retrieves information of supported apps through BridgeTalk.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2011 6:59 AM   in reply to jennpade

If Extension Manager can not find the executable file of CS5 app in path specified by BridgeTalk, it will not list that CS5 app in its UI. It seems that you have installed Contribute CS5, Flash CS5, Illustrator CS5 and Photoshop CS5 to /Volumes/laptop backup/, and installed InDesign CS5 to /Volumes/Firewire 111GB/. If you have unmounted these two volumes, Extension Manager will not list these CS5 apps. But Extension Manager CS5 is also installed to /Volumes/laptop backup/ according to the diagnostics information, so you should have mounted /Volumes/laptop backup/. Now I guess the cause is existence of space character in your volume name. Why do you use space in volume name? I have ever encountered problem result from space character in volumn name. You can do a test to verify it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2011 12:15 PM   in reply to jennpade

I am receiving the same error, except on a machine running Windows 7.  I have installed InDesign separately (not as part of the CS5 suite), and only Adobe Bridge CS5 shows up in Extension Manager.  Is there a config file of some sort that Extension Manager uses to list all the apps?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2011 2:13 AM   in reply to jennpade

Unfortunately, I don't know how to correct the application path information without reinstalling apps. It is strange that this information is wrong after you installed apps.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2011 2:22 AM   in reply to BryanCW

Extension Manager retrieves information of supported apps through BridgeTalk. If executable file of app does exist in the path specified by that information, Extension Manager will search for XManConfig.xml and parse this file to judge whether this app is supported, if yes this app will be listed in Extension Manager.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

Hello all,

I guess I will reply to this old topic, since this helped me a lot with discovering out a fix for my problem where my InDesign CSS5 was not displayed in the Extension Manager.

Following the tips from this topic I found out that the path was pointing to a non-existing folder. Next to reinstalling InDesign (which I also did) I found an easier way to repair the path (which also answers jennpade's question): When starting InDesign it will not that the application is moved and if you wish to update the Product Configuration. Choosing Update will correct the path that is the Extension Manager is looking at.

I hope this helps other people in the same way as it helped my 1 and a half years after to last post

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to Raoul WoodWing

Hi Raoul,

Thanks for your sharing. It is helpful for us and other users.

Xiaoyi

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to Raoul WoodWing

Hello. Thanks for your fix, it saved my day! I had the same problem with Photoshop CS6 and Extension Manager. Now it is solved but I tried to see what file had been modified when Photoshop asked me to update his position. Well, in my case the Finder said that the last modified file was: "Adobe Photoshop.app/Contents/Resources/AMT/application.xml. Once opened with Text Edit I easily found the strings with the application's path. Hope this may help someone. Bye

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2013 6:40 AM   in reply to Carl Sun

Hi Carl,

What if Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit does not recognize Photoshop CS6 at all, however it's installed?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2013 7:45 PM   in reply to Tuunthebest

I have no idea. Does ExtendScript Toolkit recognize other apps except PS? Or no any apps listed? ExtendScript Toolkit retrieves PCD, while the PCD information is written by installer which another team takes charge of. I am not familiar with PCD schema.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points