Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Does new XML create empty XML variable

Feb 7, 2011 5:06 AM

Hi,

I have an XML variable with a bit of content and I want to completely overwrite that content.  I thought by calling "new XML" that I'd have an empty variable and could replace the content.  Is that not the case?  If it's not what method would I use to overwrite the variable content?

Best regards,

Chris McLaughlin

Replies
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 7, 2011 6:45 AM   in reply to Chris McLaughlin

reassign the variable.  if you only want to ready the variable for gc, assign it to null.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 7, 2011 11:40 AM   in reply to Chris McLaughlin

sure,  ask away.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,212 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 7, 2011 1:43 PM   in reply to Chris McLaughlin

i've had absolutely no relationship with adobe until a few months ago.   in the past few months, i've been asked (by an adobe employee) to moderate some community help areas (which i've been doing) and i've been asked (by another employee) my opinion about some flash related issues (which i gave).

i received 2 adobe gifts (~$50 total) for both those.  but i'm not paid for anything in these forums nor for community help work.   this is strictly voluntary.  i'm pretty sure ned is not receiving any benefits from adobe for his contributions, either.

so, i'm not in a position to help implement your suggestions.   i would recommend posting your suggestions in the forum comments section.  i'm not sure if you'll get a response but this would be a good place to start:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments?view=discussi ons&start=0

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2011 2:49 PM   in reply to Chris McLaughlin

Even though I wasn't asked, since my name came up... I have no relationshiip with Adobe.  Everything I do in these forums is voluntary (helps keep my brain from drying up).

I was once approached by someone claiming to be an employee who wanted my input for something.  He was offering something in the way of a gift for my help, but, being suspiscious I decided I best look for help of my own.  It took someone else who I knew was an employee (an administrator of these forums) more than half a year to reply to tell me that person was indeed an employee.  So that gives you some idea of how much pull any of us have around here.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2011 7:08 PM   in reply to Chris McLaughlin

If I was to say I do this solely for the benefit of others I'd be lying--I am not that saintly.  Although it's nice to feel like you've helped someone, helping here helps me to fill in idle time... In my current situation I'm a freelancer and seldom have a full plate of work in front of me. 

Helping here also provides me with lots of opportunities to learn new things.  I don't consider myself anywhere near being an expert with this stuff, but in trying to help, I have opportunities to try things I never did and to keep alot of the things I've learned fresh in my mind.

Another way helping here helps me is in learning how to deal with different people.  Being human (like most folks that come here), I have my faults, and helping disgruntled posters here sometimes tests my ability to handle a bad interaction and to develop my skills in managing conflict.

And don't feel like you are but a grain of sand to anyone here.  Folks that visit these forums with any amount of regularity leave impressions and are remembered.  There are those I look forward to helping and there are some I avoid.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points