Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't print after 9.4.2

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2011 Feb 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After updating Acrobat Pro from 9.4.1 -> 9.4.2 yesterday, a couple of our users can no longer print pdfs.  I've uninstalled and re-installed twice, and I can confirm that it is the 9.4.2 update that breaks it.  I print from 9.4.1, install the update, reboot, and can't print.  I've scrubbed the registry after the uninstall as best I could thinking there was a registry setting somewhere that broke, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 213 Replies 213
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shoot, forgot to mention that these two are both windows 7 32 bit, fully patched up to and including the February patches from MS.  Other computers with the exact same configuration don't have the problem.  It fails to print under administrator and non-admin accounts.  And going to 10 is not an option until a vendor updates some software that uses Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Does this happen with a particular file? What is the error message that you get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's every file I've tried.  I made a brand new pdf with one line of text and it still breaks.

There's no error message on screen or that I could find in the logs.  The Acrobat print dialog box comes up, I pick my printer, click OK and then nothing.  It looks like the document isn't even getting into the print queue.  You know how when you print a document there's an Acrobat generated progress bar that pops up as it is preparing to send the file to the queue?  Blink and you'll miss it on short documents.   That doesn't show up either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for us, as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here, no printing at all.  Other programs print fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem also. I can print from 9.4.2 to my Canon MP830 (USB); but no printing to my network HP LJ3015???.

Looks like network printing got hosed.

How to revert to 9.4.1??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geoffrey,

Completely uninstall Acrobat Pro, then reboot.  Install Acrobat again, reboot.  Open Acrobat, register, accept license, etc.  Click on the Help menu and select Check for Updates.  You should receive either a message that the updater is already running or that there's an update to the update software.  Update the updater, then update Acrobat.  Reboot.  Check your version under Help | About.  If you are on version 9.2, you can stop.  If not, run another update.

If you download the individual msp files from Acrobat, it is possible to "stop" updating at 9.4.1.  Personally, it's not worth the effort of going that slowly.  I found it so much easier just to stop at 9.2.

Alternately, depending on what you need acrobat to do, uninstall Acrobat then visit http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/ and see what you think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion.

I did that (uninstalled and re-installed) and went thru all the updates and RESTARTs untill I got back to a functioning 9.4.1.

Looks like Adobe has something to fix!!.

Latest HP print driver installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem - can't print to either printer after installing 9.4.2. Both printers are HP. When I click on Print, I get the error message "Before you can perform print-related tasks such as page setup or printing a document, you need to install a printer."

I can print from other programs and could print from Acrobat before installing the latest release. I tried adding a printer using the wizard in Printers and Faxes, then restarted, but got the same error message. i called Adobe tech support and went through the process of repairing the installation, as advised, but this did not help. Windows Restore did nothing, said nothing was changed. 

Can we revert to 9.4.1? Please, Adobe, help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have you tried resetting the default printer again?

Thanks,

-Shilpi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2011 Feb 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To install all patches of Acrobat upto 9.4.1 refer to following blog:

http://blogs.adobe.com/pdfitmatters/2010/11/install-acrobat-9-0-and-all-updates-and-patches-in-one-s...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These instructons on installing patches might help IF they told us how to uninstall 9.4.2. As far as I know, there's no way to UNINSTALL patches??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah and then try to figure out how to cordinate uninstalling rebooting reinstalling and patching up to 9.4.1

on 2300 machines across multiple timezones and some off in other countries.   When you start to understand that then you understand my frustration level

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow Rick. I totally understand why you'd be so upset. I thought I had it bad with ~50 machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other question if this patch is causing so many problems why hasn't Adobe pulled it from deployment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have attached the error message I get when I click on print. The print dialog box does not open at all; I just get the error message. If I click on the printer setup, nothing happens.

I had a call from Adobe support late yesterday afternoon with a workaround. Set Adobe PDF as the default printer. This fixed the problem on my system. Of course it is a workaround and not the ideal. And it may not work on all systems, but it is working here. Hopefully there will be a real fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 17, 2011 Feb 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact same result happens to me but I thought it was related to my new printer.

9.4.2 printed to my older HP PSC 1610 but 9.4.2 will not recognize my new HP Officejet 4500.  Microsoft apps and Reader all print fine.

Should I go through the uninstall/reinstall up to 9.2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use solution no 1 mentioned at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/891/cpsid_89178.html

Its a troubleshooting page published by Adobe.

Regards

Atanu Dhar

adhar@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good solution. I'm windows XP, Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended 9.4.2, same problem as everyone. I got lucky on the phone with adobe. permanent fix in 5 minutes and much clearer than the unapologetic known issue webpage - http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/891/cpsid_89178.html

1. shut all windows down.

2. go to Printers and Faxes and set the non-working printer as the default.

3. go to the file c:\program files\adobe\acrobat 9.0\acrobat\adobe.acrobat.dependencies.manifest

4. right click and open with notepad

5. delete the line <file name="atl.dll">

6. close windows explorer

7. open adobe and print any pdf.

this has remained working through restarts and there have been no other software conflicts that I can see (Word, Outlook, etc.). If you aren't confident about this solution just copy that file before altering and you can always just put it back.

ALSO, besides creating that error and not allowing the use of one of my networked printers (and a wireless printer at home), that update screwed up a simple HP deskjet 6122 directly plugged into my laptop at work. I was ready to throw it away thinking that the printer had coincidently died after 7 years - it was printing crazy stuff even when Adobe was closed and I wanted something printed from Word or Outlook. But after I did the fix above and reinstalled the printer (which hadn't worked previously) everything was fine and dandy. printer completely fixed.

yes, anyone can make a mistake. but customer service is apologizing, explaining, and fixing - fast.

good luck, jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and atanu, you may not feel like you represent Adobe - and therefore don't feel like you have the authority or responsibility to address the earlier posts about Adobe's customer service - especially to us Enterprise customers - but you do indeed represent Adobe. And your response is wholly inadequate and completely lacking in customer concern. If you were my employee I would re-train you, and if you still responded in the way you have thus far, I would fire you. And sorry if this email makes you roll your eyes. But if you know it's not worth forwarding these type of comments to a higher level of administration then let me ask you why you are working for a company that doesn't care about its consumers. The size of a company will never protect them from a lack of customer support.

jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding this problem with this update I would like to ask some questions?

On previous occasions when I have had a corruption or problems I have gone to system restore but in this case if I do system restore to a date before the update it does not correct the issue.  Why is this?

We have a large number of computers some of which have not as yet been updated with the problematic update 9.4.2.  How do I permanently remove the update reminder from the computers concerned to prevent them being uploaded accidentally?  (All staff have been sent a memo not to up-date)

On the more important/critical  computers I would like to un-install Adobe Acrobat and then Re-Install it.  How do I then get the up-dates but prevent them updating with the problem one 9.4.2

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 18, 2011 Feb 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very well said Jim!!!! They probably feel like this is not affecting many customers. The number of customers complaining on this forum and others with this same issue is just a small fraction of the number of people using Acrobat. What they don't understand is that there are probably MANY more people that aren't commenting on it, but have read it because they have the same problem (probably more people than actually DO comment).

I mean seriously, it's been almost 2 weeks and still you are pushing a BUGGY update out to ALL your acrobat 9 users! COME ON! I am sick of this! I shouldn't have to keep spending my days going around to users' computers editing your code!! If this is your so called "permanent fix" then you have already set this product up for failure here on out. I have already talked to management and we are currently reviewing other vendors for a replacement product. While I'm sure the other vendors won't have near the same features, they will allow our users to PRINT! Do you not realize how important being able to print a document is?? Besides creating PDFs, the only other thing my users use Acrobat for is PRINTING. I am thoroughly disgusted with how Adobe has handled this problem! Every day that goes by without a patch, I get more disgusted. Oh, that brings me to another point, by PATCH I mean 1) Applying the solution to the 9.4.2 update that is still being downloaded to my users computers today and 2) Releasing a file that can either be automatically downloaded by acrobat like the regular updates are or installed by me AND that DOESN'T mean me having to edit your files by hand! So stop giving me your asinine "work arounds" and fix the dang product! Everyone who has a 9.4.2 installation right now has a BROKEN product, so fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2011 Feb 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have the name and contact address of the chief executive of Adobe as he is the person who is ultimately responsible for resolving this issue and pacifying their customers?  The shareholders will not want Adobe to be seen in bad light over this issue as it could have a long term effect of tarnishing the companies reputation as a result of customers loosing confidence in their products and sourcing alternative products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines