Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

FLV in MediaDisplay component will not play in Test Movie

Feb 9, 2011 12:56 PM

I'm having a very frustrating problem with Flash CS5.

I have a project with a MediaDisplay component on the stage, and some actionscript (2.0) on frame 1 to load a FLV. When I use Test Movie in Flash, the FLV will not play, but when I open the SWF (or a Flash Presentation made using the Publish command), it plays fine. What's wrong with Test Movie?

I have been working on this project since before I upgraded to CS5 (I was using CS4), and I never had trouble testing it through Flash. I also have a different Flash project that uses the same component with the same actionscript to load an FLV, and that one plays correctly using Test Movie. However, if I try to load that FLV with the other project, it won't play.

Does this mean my project file is corrupt? Or that CS5's Test Movie feature is buggy?

It may not be related, but I'm also getting a lot of compiler errors when I test the movie. They all say the same thing:

"The class or interface [insertMovieClipNameHere] could not be loaded."

Replies
  • kglad
    72,223 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 9, 2011 1:35 PM   in reply to jvonmutius

you must correct compiler errors before test movie will work.

that error message is usually the result of using as2 code with as3 publish settings or, vice-versa.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,223 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 9, 2011 2:25 PM   in reply to jvonmutius

i've never had a problem with test movie (which i use alot) so i'm not sure how to help.  i do know that paths, flashvars, externalinterface, javascript and keyboard input can require extra care  or can't be used when using the test environment but it didn't sound like those should be an issue for you.  (all your files, html, swf, fla and flv are in the same directory?)

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,223 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 9, 2011 2:42 PM   in reply to jvonmutius

create a new folder that has no subfolders.  save your fla there.  copy your flv there.  assign your mediadisplay's contentPath and test.

if that fails, is this the only fla with that problem?

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,223 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 10, 2011 6:54 AM   in reply to jvonmutius

you may have a security issue when using that network drive.  add it to your trusted locations and retest:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/se ttings_manager04a.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2012 6:26 PM   in reply to jvonmutius

I have the same problem when using AFP: FLVPlayback does not work (even when selecting an FLV via the GUI) but if you publish it out and then run it via Flash Player it works! I couldn't be bothered to further troubleshoot and just work on my Desktop, copying to the network drive when I'm done.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 1:57 AM   in reply to beyond ben

Do you have a firewall ? You could also try to see if Flash CS5 is listed in your firewall. Also try out the link kglasd suggested.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 4:16 PM   in reply to aviPro

I added the folder where the FLVs are to trusted zones but it stil has the same error. As I said it's only FLVPlayback that has the issue, and only in the IDE and only on an AFP share. If I run the swf using Flash Player it works fine (with/without being trusted) or if the FLVs are on a local drive or if they are accessed using SMB. Loading other things works fine in the IDE on AFP, like Loader.

I don't have a firewall (other than whatever is standard in Snow Leopard) but it wouldn't affect anything anyway: the share should just appear to the application as a drive; it's not accessing anything over HTTP or anything.

Steps:

Open Flash CS5

Select new AS3 document

Drag the FLVPlayback component onto the stage

Click the icon to select a FLV (source parameter)

Navigate to where FLVs are (on AFP drive), OK

Click OK

Expected result:

The component to resize to video size and show first frame.

Actual:

Error in Output window:

NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound : Adobe Flash tried to play a live or recorded stream that does not exist. Source can't be found.

The video player is in the connection error state. It enters this state when a video stream attempted to load but was unsuccessful. There are two possible reasons for the error: no connection to the server or the stream was not found.

Same error whether the FLA is saved or not.

However if publish, then close down Flash CS5, then open the swf directly it will play in the actual Flash Player. It doesn't matter where the SWF is in relation to the FLVs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 1:52 AM   in reply to beyond ben

Hi jvonmutius

Please provide below details to isloate the exact issue

1. Is it embed video, local drive video or from streming server (Http or RTMP)

2. Which format you are importing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2013 5:45 AM   in reply to jvonmutius

I have the same problem... Can't use the "test movie" function on Mac with Adobe Flash Pro 5.5, FLV's don't load. I'm using a Synology DS412+ NAS with CIFS for Windows and AFP for Mac Users. Under Windows, it works but not under Mac.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points