Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 Application Error

Feb 17, 2011 7:41 AM

Seeing this error when working in Photoshop CS5:

“application error 0x00000078: memory could not be read. Instruction at 0x6963932b”

And then it gives the option to cancel or hit Okay. Both options kick me out of the application (without saving my work, of course). Here are  my system specs:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 12.0.3

Operating System: Windows XP 32-bit

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:15, Model:4, Stepping:8 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3

Physical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 2793 MHz

Built-in memory: 3326 MB

Free memory: 2343 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 1689 MB

Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400 

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 17, 2011 10:39 AM   in reply to mgsacandco

A crash like that is often the fault of one of two things:

1.  A driver bug (e.g., your video driver).

2.  A bug in a 3rd party plug-in.

I notice you have a nVidia Quadro card.  There have been a number of reports on this forum lately about Quadro drivers not working all that well with Photoshop, and your particular card is quite old.  A few years ago I personally struggled with a nVidia Quadro 3400 (closely related to yours) and never was able to stabilize things until I just took it out and bought an ATI card.

NVidia appears to be fond of releasing new drivers for old cards that just don't work.

But before swapping out your card, it might not be a bad idea to visit nVidia.com and get their latest driver.

Also, you might find that turning off OpenGL in Photoshop's Edit - Preferences - Performance menu will work around the problem, though you will lose a few features.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 17, 2011 12:03 PM   in reply to mgsacandco

It would be more useful if we could get the full report, including the faulting module name.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points