Skip navigation
drwhoish
Currently Being Moderated

can't save pdf files downloaded from some databases

Feb 17, 2011 2:31 PM

When I download some pdf files from databases (e.g. SpringerLink) I can download to READ only (there is NO toolbar for printing/saving/etc). I am accessing them through a University library which gives access. Is there some setting I need to change? OR are some files restricted to read only??? If so - how can I tell that is the case before I download?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 17, 2011 3:47 PM   in reply to drwhoish

If there are just some files doing this, it more than likely is something with the file.

Find a problem file, download it (right click on the link and use "save file as or similar depending on th OS you use), open it in Reader (not from within the web browser), then go to File>Properties>Security. What does it say?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2011 7:39 AM   in reply to drwhoish

What version of Reader are you using? Also, what browser and version? It may be an issue between the browser and the Reader plug-in.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2011 1:21 PM   in reply to drwhoish

It sounds like when you are clicking on the link to the file, it is opened using the reader plug-in for the browser. There is a possibility that the toolbar isn't functional using the Chrome browser but I can't be certain since I don't use Chrome.

Right-clicking then saving the file before opening it uses the full version of Reader rather than a browser plug-in so that's why you get the toolbars.

But back to the Chrome issue, hopefully someone will come along with some experience using Reader with Chrome and have a definitive answer for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2011 2:31 AM   in reply to drwhoish

I am having the same problem, and only for the past 6 weeks or so. It is as if literally the save button has disappeared from the toolbar, and from all options to save. I wondered whether had reached a download limit somehow, however can find no reference to that anywhere. I have tried right click saving to no avail, and saving pdf articles in word loses all table and figure format. I have just swapped to chrome last weekend but had the same prob on Firefox and have tried IE. Help please! I don't want to have to print and endanger a small forest!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2011 2:46 AM   in reply to drwhoish

Sorted it! Right click on grey toolbar area & click reset toolbars- the print button reappears phew!

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Jun 18, 2011 4:42 PM   in reply to MissMarieM

I'm having the same problem since I updated to Reader Ver 10.  Can't save many pdf docs.  OS Win XP-SP3, Firefox 4.0.1.  What seems to work ok to save is "shift+ctrl+s", which I found on another forum question/issue.  Some docs were IRS pdf pubs which I had no problem with before.  I used to be able to save these with the pdf toolbar or from the File/Save As menu.  I never found the grey toolbar area to "reset toolbars".  I suspect the problem is with A Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to birder1107

I tried the control-shift-s thing and it worked. I hope I can remember this. Files from some sites just have that stupid bar at the bottom that doesn't work. The buttons are on the tool bar but they don't work either.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to drwhoish

Had the same problem myself with Springerlink/Science direct, however, as I had no problems downloading pdfs from these sites on my old PC using an older version of Adobe, I figured it must just be the latest version. 

The suggested fixes below (reset toolbars, ctrl+shift+S etc.) didn't work for me, so, after many frustrating attempts, I finally figured out a way to download...

Right click on the PDF link and choose the 'save target as' option, this will open your normal 'save as' window and away you go!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points