Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Create a 16:9 Widescreen DVD with 1920x1080 video; Resize needed?

Feb 22, 2011 4:32 PM

Trying to help a customer, and finding myself in unfamiliar territory.

We manufacture DVD's... don't really author them.

Customer asked us to take their video and create a simple menu.  Easy enough... so I thought!

The DVD was provided in 1920 x 1080, 29.97 fps.

They want a SD DVD.

Each of the chapters was provided in a seperate Quicktime file.

We import the files as assets into Encore, and then place them in a 16:9 timeline, everything seems fine.

Menues work, no problem.

When we burn the DVD, however, and play it on a standard TV we loose video on both sides.

Obviously, the video is outside of the safety zone.

So, we went into Premier, loaded a file, and then manually resized the video so that it fit into the safety zone.

This seems to make it play properly on a standard 4:3 TV, and we will be testing to see how it works on a widescreen TV tonight.

Is this the right approach... to resize it in Premier?

Seems like a lot of work; especially since the videos are already in the right aspect ratio, etc.  Isn't their some easier way to do it in Encore?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2011 5:15 PM   in reply to Kopy-Rite

DVD by definition (we'll stick to NTSC) is 720x480.  You have to resize HD video to create an SD DVD.  To keep the full resolution you do Bluray.  Yes, the aspect of the picture may be similar, but the PARs are not and the sizes are not.

This is not an issue of safety zones.  That is just to make sure you can see text when it might otherwise be in the overscan areas.

Do a search of the premiere forums for "HD to SD."

You're over your head (that's okay), but for a paying customer, you need a consultant to help you work out this process.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2011 9:26 AM   in reply to Kopy-Rite

I'm sorry; I was responding to your comment about a "customer" and "unfamiliar territory."  You are no more over your head than many of us dealing with such issues.  And I now understand where the confusion came from.

The problem is when I bring the video into Encore, and burn a DVD.  When that DVD is played on a 4:3 screen, it does not letterbox correctly.

There is a thin stip of black along the top and bottom... less than a normal letterbox look.  And video is missing from the right and left size.

DVD players and have settings that can create some of this appearance.  So I would check that.  But the thin black and cropping left and right does not sound like such an issue on a 4:3 TV set.

So, I would look for PAR issues, even though it appeared okay within Encore.  Is the footage the right PAR?  In Encore, is it interpreted correctly?

Perhaps Jeff will stop by, and he may be able to pin this down...

this resized video does not display properly on a 16:9 widescreen (there are black bands completely surrounding the video).

So perhaps more concise phrasing might ask why the video does not letterbox properly on a 4:3 screen?

You appear to be saying that this is also not displaying properly on a 16:9 screen?  Which again points to PAR issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2011 12:07 PM   in reply to Kopy-Rite

Version of Encore, please?

Things to check (Stan covered most of them):

1. PAR of the MOV files after they're imported into En.  Use File | Interpret Footage.  They should be PAR 1.0 (Square Pixels) if the MOV files are 1920x1080.  If En gets this wrong, then everything else will be wrong, too.
    2. Transcode settings that were used.  Default is Automatic, and you need to check what those are using File | Project Settings.  Make sure the destination PAR is set correctly; it should be Widescreen.  For NTSC, that's a PAR of 1.2121.
    3. Settings on the DVD player when it's hooked up to the 4:3 TV.  Make sure the player is set up to output a 4:3 signal.
    4. Make sure the 16:9 TV is set up to display 4:3 material properly, without using any of the so-called "stretch" modes of the aspect ratio, or the 16:9 mode.
    5. Settings on the DVD player when it's hooked up to the 16:9 TV.  Make sure it's set up to output a 4:3 signal.

Two things jump out at me: don't crop or resize the video in Pr.  Transcode and author it properly, and let the DVD player and TV take care of the letterboxing.  The other thing is that if your video is displaying window boxed on a 16:9 TV, that indicates the source video is matted 4:3, which can again be traced to bad settings on the DVD player.  So if the DVD player thinks it's sending a signal to a 4:3 TV, and the 16:9 TV thinks it's getting a 4:3 signal, then presto!  Window-boxed widescreen video magically appears.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2011 4:38 PM   in reply to Kopy-Rite

Thanks for the images and nice explanation.  I'll look forward to Jeff's take here.

Images 1 and 2 are the same TV, with the TV setting changed.  I assume the image is distored in image 1 to stretch its  height for the movie expand setting.  Image 2 is a correct 16:9 display.

Image 3 looks to me like a correctly letterboxed 16:9 image on a 4:3 TV.  The 4:3 type TV typically has more overscan than the HD TV, accounting for the very slight cropping left and right.  But it is very slight, right?

You don't say, but I assume you did change the DVD player setting from the HD TV (16:9) to the 4:3.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2011 6:56 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Can you post a screenshot of how you think your video should look on each of the TVs?  Based on the images you've included (my thanks, also), everything looks proper.

So, we went into Premier, loaded a file, and then manually resized the video so that it fit into the safety zone.

If none of the images you posted are what you expect to see, then I would revert your Pr project to a point before that step.  You should:

1. Edit your 1920x1080 footage in a 1920x1080 square pixel sequence.
    2. Add the 1440x1080 footage to the same 1920x1080 sequence.  If Pr interprets the 1.333 PAR of the 1440x1080 footage correctly, then it should look perfect in the 1920x1080 sequence.
    3. Export the 1920x1080 sequence to MPEG2 DVD, using the NTSC Widescreen preset and setting Use Maximum Render Quality.  In the Export Settings dialog, you should see thin black bars on each side of the frame under the preview area's Output tab.  That's normal, and should be hidden on playback by any TV set's overscan.
    4. Import the M2V and WAV files from your Pr export into a widescreen NTSC DVD project in En.
    5. Create timelines and add menus and build the project.

Once you've done all that, you've done all you can do as editor/author.  It's up to the folks watching the TV to take it from there.  You have absolutely no control over how they set up their TVs and DVD players.  If the picture appears distorted at that point, it's on them.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points