Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Livetrace - edit original in links

Feb 26, 2011 9:33 AM

Hi, I want to use the "edit original" function inside illustrator, so my picture will open

in photoshop, and the changes I make there will be saved in Illustrator. But when I choose edit original

, it opens paint - how do I change this? And yes I have checked the link-box when selecting the image. I have windows 7 if

it matters.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 26, 2011 10:54 AM   in reply to grimkarklud

You'll have to change that in your system and assign Photoshop as editor to the respective filetype

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2011 11:01 AM   in reply to grimkarklud

I know where to change that on my Mac, maybe this helps: http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/associationswin.htm

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2011 3:37 PM   in reply to grimkarklud

Actually not. You could take a look at software like Gridiron Flow. Maybe it allows you to do that.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2011 11:35 PM   in reply to grimkarklud

its simple select file type extension for e.g you are working on jpg or tiff format if your file is tiff just select tiff click on it then right click then open with option there is chose program and then in drop down list select photoshop and remember tick mark on always use the selected program to open the kind of file

finished

just in illustrator alt+double click will open file in photoshop as a link

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2011 5:09 PM   in reply to Rehan ali

rwlkdsajfl wrote:

its simple select file type extension for e.g you are working on jpg or tiff format if your file is tiff just select tiff click on it then right click then open with option there is chose program and then in drop down list select photoshop and remember tick mark on always use the selected program to open the kind of file

finished

just in illustrator alt+double click will open file in photoshop as a link

The Op wrote they did not aways wan the images to open in photoshop.

But You are close.

before working with the file click on the icon and go to the properties as indicated before and select the photoshop as the default application to open the file in.
    But do not mark it to open all similar files leave that unchecked.

Now the place it in Illustrator and then when you go to edit it will open in Photoshop, inconvenient yes, but the only way I know you have to remember to change the default launch app back to the original app.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 11:00 AM   in reply to grimkarklud

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers