Skip navigation
efg5
Currently Being Moderated

Determining dpi using Adobe 9 Standard

Mar 4, 2011 5:02 PM

Using Adobe 9 Standard, how can I find out the dpi of a pdf someone sent me?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 5, 2011 2:34 AM   in reply to efg5

PDF files do not have "a DPI" - every pixel-based page element can be different, and the text and some graphics are vector-based (so have no pixels to count).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2011 4:24 PM   in reply to efg5

You may be able to get some of the information on individual items by using preflight to check the document.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2011 1:09 AM   in reply to efg5
    So you're saying that although I tell my scanner to scan at 600 dpi or 300 dpi, the resulting PDF has no characteristic resembling dpi?

You can check resolution of images in PDF documents with the preflight tool of Acrobat Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2011 11:30 AM   in reply to Bernd Alheit

Images are stored in a block in a PDF and have their own resolution. There is no native resolution to the PDF itself, but is set in the parts. You should be able to determine the resolution of scans and such by using Extract All Images. Those extracted images should be identical to what is stored in the PDF to my understanding. You can then check them in a graphics editor or tool like IrfanView.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2011 10:28 PM   in reply to efg5

If you got the PDF from a scanner, then you should have pages of images (one image per page). If you do not, then you probably ran OCR on the result. If you used ClearScan, then the images are replaced by fonts and you can check the font properites. Otherwise, you should have a collection of images that can be exported.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2011 8:40 PM   in reply to efg5

We've told you - there is *no such thing* as "the DPI of a PDF". Each page element has an independent value (or none at all) and they can be, and often are, widely-different between elements on the same page.

Even if your file is a scan without OCR, so it contains a single image of each scan, one per page - the PAGE has no resolution. The image ON the page does, but that's an entirely different concept. Acrobat Standard does not allow you to inspect page elements to see their individual properties; that's a feature of Acrobat Pro.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points