Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Exporting from Flash to Illustrator

Mar 7, 2011 8:08 PM

I upgraded from Flash CS3 to CS5. I am surprised to find I cannot export Flash graphics to a ".ai"  format.

Does anyone know of a way in CS5 to get Flash vectors to Illustrator?

Thanks,

Chuck

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2011 9:44 PM   in reply to thscgteacher

Do you have Illustrator CS5 as well? If so, you can Export > Export Image > export as an FXG file, which Illustrator will import. I believe this is the new workflow that Adobe is corralling folks into.

If you don't have Illustrator CS5, use an older version of Flash (which you have) to export that you did in the past...or try saving your art as a SWF and importing that.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2011 9:47 PM   in reply to thscgteacher

One other thing, I think the copy & paste can work really well between the two programs. Also, here is some add'l info:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flash/cs/using/WS8BE214F4-41C5-47f3-B0D5-7 F3BCA41E1B7a.html#WSFCA8DB0E-7E7C-4594-97B1-7B7FA53C2C7A

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2012 1:57 AM   in reply to somascope

Did they remove this again in CS6? it is not working any more, i am just told "The fxg is not valid, validate it before opening"

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2014 3:41 AM   in reply to Kim Hougaard

It looks like you can't copy and paste vectors from  [ any version of ] Flash to Illustrator CC full stop.

It becomes a low res bitmap - like you are cutting a preview of whats on screen.

Also there is no way to save [ any version of ] Flash and load it in Illustrator CC or PhotoShop as anything other than a lo res bitmap.

We used to have these features and Adobe has removed them - thanks that's useful.

I might remove my subscription - I have paid Adobe a bunch of pounds over the years.

This is not helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2014 4:38 AM   in reply to gingerman

Hello,

Have you tried exporting as .fxg from flash, that worked for me.

But be aware of fonts which has to be outlined first.

Kim

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2014 2:37 PM   in reply to gingerman

Yeah you can definitely export an fxg file in Flash CS5 and import it into Illustrator but they removed it in CS6 and Flash CC. Why? I ead six months ago that they  were going to 'bring in back and make it better'. On these forums in fact. WHY GET RID OF A FEATURE IF YOU'RE NOT READY TO REPLACE IT?!?!?!?!  Now I've heard that FXG format is also depricated as well so they're closing that format too. I don't understand why Adobe kills it's own app productivity but the Adobe 'suite' is anything but 'sweet' these days.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points