Skip navigation
Pirate_Jenny
Currently Being Moderated

In CS4, "Cannot open file" "Please upgrade your plug-ins..."

Mar 8, 2011 10:57 AM

Greetings,

I am using InDesign CS4 on a PC. I am trying to open an .indd file created by our marketing department. I don't know what version of InDesign they use nor whether they work on Macs or PCs.

When I double-click to open the file, I get a "Cannot Open File" popup box. The box reads "Cannot open docname.indd. Please upgrade your plug-ins to their latest versions, or upgrade to the latest version of Adobe InDesign." It then lists 18 different plugins:

ASSIGNMENTS.RPLN

TEXT.RPLN

SPREAD.RPLN

MASTER PAGE.RPLN

TEXT ATTRIBUTES.RPLN

.... and 13 more.

When I go to Help > Configure Plug-Ins, I can see that I do have all of these plug-ins. But apparently they are not the latest versions.

Anyone know how I can update these plugins? I have searched for them on the Adobe website, but no joy.

Thanks in advance.

Jen

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2011 11:08 AM   in reply to Pirate_Jenny

This error message is often bogus and instead means that the file you are trying to open is created in a newer version than the one you have, probably CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2011 11:10 AM   in reply to Pirate_Jenny

It's a safe bet that they are working in CS5. The only way to get those plugins is to install CS5 on your machine.

You could ask your marketing department to export an IDML file from CS5, which you can open up in CS4, but it might fail horribly (and it's guaranteed to lay out incorrectly if they've used any tools in CS5 that aren't in CS4). If you rely on this workflow, by regularly using a document going back and forth between CS5 and CS4, chances are very, very good that it will fail at a critical moment. The only really safe thing to do here is to get everyone using the same version of InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2011 11:13 AM   in reply to Pirate_Jenny

Not quite. Your two options are to upgrade to CS5 or ask the supplier of the file to export as .idml.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2011 11:13 AM   in reply to Pirate_Jenny

Well, if you are part of an organization that has a marketing department, it's probably also large enough to have an IT department where you could go ask for CS5, right?

Barring that, relying on your marketing department to export an IDML for you is your best bet. Make sure they give you a PDF as well, so you know what the doc is supposed to look like.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2011 11:32 AM   in reply to Pirate_Jenny

Point taken - that's a completely valid response. Best of luck.

(I mostly just posted to add the "make sure to get a PDF" quip.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points