Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to tell if your graphics card supports MoleHill

Mar 9, 2011 2:30 PM

If you get rendering issues or only playback in software there is a way to determine if your graphics card should support MoleHill.  Please download the exe found here (Win only) http://zp.amsnet.pl/cdragan/d3dcaps.html and run it.  In the same directory you will see a 'devcaps.txt' file.  In that file there are two lines that tell whether MoleHill is supported:

VERTEX_SHADER_VERSION        FFFE0200

PIXEL_SHADER_VERSION            FFFF0200

Ignore the FFFE/FFFF values, the values that are important are the 0200 numbers.  Those values must be greater than 0200 (not equal to) in order to support MoleHill.

Note that VERTEX_SHADER_VERSION and PIXEL_SHADER_VERSION show up twice in the file, the first ones pertain to d3d8 and will have values around 0104, ignore those, the important values are the second ones.

If your values are greater than 0200 and you are experiencing issues with rendering in HW please post the log and configuration info here and I will log bugs on them.

Thanks!

Charbs

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2011 3:22 PM   in reply to Charbs09

Thank you Charbs for information.

What about Mac users? How to determine if MoleHill should be supported?

I'am having issues on my late 2006 iMac, which has ATI Radeon X-1600 card. Nothing but black rectangle is seen in the rendering area when hardware acceleration is enabled.

Regards Denis.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2011 2:58 AM   in reply to Charbs09

I'm getting 1-2 fps in any molehill app, here is my devcaps file, my video card is an NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800. My OS is Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. Intel Xeon CPU E5430 @ 2.66GHz. 4 GB Ram.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2011 2:58 PM   in reply to Charbs09

I'm pretty sure I'm being forced into software playback only, CPU goes through roof and 4fps on broomstick's water demo

Latest release of IE9

T9300 2.5Ghz Dual Core

8700M GT x2 in SLI

4.00 GB Mem

Vista 32bit

Problems occur both in and out of SLI w/ PhysX Enabled and Disabled. After running your tool I get

VERTEX_SHADER_VERSION FFFE0300

PIXEL_SHADER_VERSION FFFF0300

VERTEX_SHADER_VERSION shows up about 4 times but I figure that's twice per card so I ignored the first two.

[edit]

did a bit more playing Software mode is inconisstent some molehill demos are not software only while some are No idea what's making the difference yet.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 3:44 PM   in reply to Charbs09

let me just double check: if these values are exactly 0200, then Molehill will go software mode, and this is final behavior?

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2011 10:38 AM   in reply to Charbs09

And for Linux ?

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2011 11:06 AM   in reply to ChivertonT

Hi Tom,

We had to turn off hardware because the graphics drivers, even from mainstream manufacturers like NVidia and ATI aren't well supported and have many issues related to stability and performance. We have 2-3 bugs right now that crash deep within the driver code.

In the near term, we’re focusing our resources on getting hardware accelerated Stage 3D (“Molehill”) on Windows, Mac, and Android – as well as on partner devices like the Playbook. We understand that there are developers using Linux for development, but our efforts are focused on supporting operating systems that are most important to our customers for deploying content, and which also demonstrate the greatest opportunity for future growth for our partners and developers.

best,

Emmy

Group Product Manager, Adobe Flash Player

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2011 4:08 PM   in reply to Emmy Huang

Oh.

Well. Thanks for the honesty, I guess...

Hopefully this lack of hardware acceleration on Linux will be made clear in future release notes and announcements to save us lot constantly trying it and expecting it to work ?

Can we expect it to *ever* be enabled on Linux, or is it just going to be the poor cousin for ever ?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points