Skip navigation
KenMoore69
Currently Being Moderated

Can I delete old cache from CS4?

Mar 14, 2011 11:35 PM

I upgraded to Photoshop CS5 and uninstalled CS4 a few months ago on my laptop.  Today I had a popup telling me I'm running low on diskspace.  I performed all the regular maintenance for disk cleanup but it didn't generate much.  After some searching to figure out where all my drive space was being used I found folders for CS4 Bridge and CS4 Photoshop in my user folders\application data\adobe\bridge cs4 etc.  Are these files still used in anyway with CS5 or are they just taking up GB of storage I could really use?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2011 1:21 AM   in reply to KenMoore69

They shouldn't be in use... but, your best bet would be to uninstall CS5, clean your system and then reinstall CS5... Bit of a pain but shouldn't really take too long...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 15, 2011 6:14 AM   in reply to KenMoore69

Don't assume you can just generalize and delete things at will.  There are database files that are needed (e.g. the Camera Raw database, if you have it set to save conversion parameters in a central location).

If you have specific files in a specific location find out what they do.  List some folders here - someone will tell you what they're for.

Advice to uninstall and reinstall a perfectly good application is a bit extreme.

Have you tried the Windows disk space cleanup tool?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 15, 2011 2:00 PM   in reply to KenMoore69

If you've uninstalled CS4, I'd say anything with "CS4" in the path is fair game and can be deleted.  Perhaps that's what Shunith meant.  I'm sorry if I interpreted his comment wrongly.

It's important to note that there is really no "cross polination" between versions of Photoshop.  As  you probably know, you can have two different versions installed and they don't interfere with one another at all.  So if you're not using CS4, those folders should be fair game.

Regarding the Bridge cache, I simply don't use Bridge myself, so I can't say for sure whether that can be deleted.  I'm kind of glad I don't use Bridge if it uses up space like that.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2011 4:10 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

You can delete all the cache for CS4 Bridge.  In fact CS5 and CS4 use

a different format so they are not compatable anyhow.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points