Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Flash 10.2 Issue - YouTube Black Screen of Death!!

Mar 15, 2011 3:36 PM

My computer runs Windows 7, 64 bit OS, and FireFox.

The problem is that whenever I go to YouTube and try to watch a video, there is just a black screen where the video should be playing. Video and audio do not work.

Can anyone help?

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Mar 15, 2011 5:47 PM   in reply to mkp0203

Hi,

I'm sorry you're running into this problem.  Could you try a couple of things for me?  First, please try updating your drivers to the latest version (ATI, Intel, NVIDIA). If that doesn't solve the problem, please go to this page and right click on the video.  Select "Settings" and then uncheck Enable Hardware Acceleration.  Restart your browser and try again.

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Mar 15, 2011 6:41 PM   in reply to mkp0203

If you go to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ do you see the spinning flash logo or your installed flash version information?

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 15, 2011 10:00 PM   in reply to mkp0203

Add me to that list. I'm about to pull my hair out trying to figure out why my sister's computer suddenly lost its abilities to play ANY Youtube videos whatsoever earlier today. I'm presented with a black box of death, no audio, and the right click menu brings up the following options: "Movie not loaded / About Adobe Flash player.."

I've tried turning off hardware acceleration, reinstalling flash player, using a flash player cleaner executable, using different browsers (IE, Chrome, FF), disabling Windows Firewall, disabling Windows Defender, disabling Avast, scanning for malware, cleaning the registry and browser caches/cookies, restarting the computer (about 10 times now), trying older verisons of flash, NOTHING seems to work! The problem is strictly limited to Youtube. Hulu, Yahoo Video, and flash gaming sites function perfectly without error. I'm on my knees thanking God these shenanigans didn't happen to my main PC.

This is a big problem for my sister who's probably going to nag the heck out of me, leaving me with the option of reinstalling Windows (all because of a flash player mishap...) or letting her borrow my laptop until this problem is fixed.. if it does get fixed. The last time I asked for help here my problem wasn't solved. I don't want to be the bear of bad news, but I don't have faith that this problem will be solved either. But if it does get solved.. kudos to the techies.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2011 11:05 PM   in reply to mkp0203

Add me to the list as well.

Using windows XP SP3 with chrome 10.

You tube was working fine today morning, I tried watching a video on YouTube in the evening and I got the black screen of death. It's the same with IE as well.

I've tried the options above and none have worked for me. I don't see any buttons at all anywhere, just a black rectangular box which on right clicking shows me a greyed out "Movie not loaded" option and an active "About .." option. Turned OFF add blocker, flash blocker, reloaded a couple of times, nothing seems to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2011 11:36 PM   in reply to mkp0203

I had this exact same issue and the way I resolved it was simply by uninstalling adobe flash player plugin and then reinstalling the most recent version of adobe flash 10.2 again then my problem was fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 2:14 AM   in reply to Corlath

I uninstalled, installed, but it didn't help me. I have read a comment on the youtube forum that said this is a youtube issue with playback on browsers. Some said they were able to see the videos on the person's channel page and others not. So, I don't believe this is an Adobe Flash issue. I say that because less than a day ago, all was ok playing any youtube videos.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=1f8dedeebb27d 919&hl=en

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 2:34 AM   in reply to mkp0203

Add me to the list. I have the exact setup as original post. Tried everything every

one else has tried with same results. No YouTube! Vimeo works perfect, the sample Flash video from YouTube even works (SWF test, Google Chrome ad). Pretty lame!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 2:52 AM   in reply to RaceDesert

As of 4:50am, Central Time, U.S. videos are play

ing fine for me now on youtube. Guess they sorted the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 5:51 AM   in reply to mkp0203

Add me to the list...  It's looking like it's not fixed yet...  yesterday, unstalling the new Flash, rebooting, reinstalling fixed the problem and Youtube worked again for the rest of the day.  This morning, as of right now (8:50a.m. Eastern Standard), nothing but a black rectangle again, and no sound either.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 6:33 AM   in reply to mkp0203

I apologize if this has already been covered and I passed over it, but I found a temporary solution that allows for play of at least most Youtube videos.

-Update your browser to the latest beta version (for Firefox at least, for other browsers just make sure either the latest final version supports HTML5 or if not get the latest beta release).

-Then sign up for the Youtube HTML5 beta program.  This allows you to bypass the Flash player altogether, though it doesn't work for every video.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 8:12 AM   in reply to mkp0203

Having the same issue also. And it's BS you can't install a previous version of flash!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 9:15 AM   in reply to mkp0203

Same problem here only I can get youtube to play on IE. Any solutions?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 9:25 AM   in reply to Ettie Worthington

On my firefox browser, I went to Tools> Options> Advanced> Nework> Offline Storage, then click "Clear Now". I didn't restart firefox. Then I went to youtube again and I was able to get a couple videos to play. Not sure what's going on here. It seems like it's a sporatic thing.   I have no issues with this in Chrome or IE, Only Firefox.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 10:23 AM   in reply to mkp0203

I've been having this exact problem since early this morning.  I'm using Windows XP, and youtube looks exactly the same in both IE 8 and Firefox. I noticed it first in IE, so I tried switching to Firefox.  At first, it worked in Firefox, but after a few minutes it stopped.  Very strange.  I tried practically everything listed above but nothing works.  In the meantime I am using the JW Desktop Player, but it only works for some videos.  Not very reliable.  I also downloaded the DivX player, but that won't play any videos.

Does anyone else know of any other players (that play youtube videos) that I can try while I'm waiting for this problem to get fixed?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 10:33 AM   in reply to mkp0203

Hello It is Wednesday 1:30pm eastern time here march 16 2011.

Having the SAME issue. It seems to be youtube. If all other website players are working yet not youtube. Then something is up. Either way what can be done?

I rebooted flash, Deleted caches, cookies, brownies and muffins and rebooted my computer. Only one video played then the next video the black rectangle with right clicking on the rectangle saying movie not loaded. What is the meaning behind this?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 10:39 AM   in reply to mkp0203

A Youtube cookie seems to be in some way related to the Flash problems where the  video plays with a black screen and a fractured progress bar. In  Firefox if you go to Tools>Options>Privacy>Remove Individual  Cookies and delete the Youtube PREF cookie and then reload the page this  will usually allow the video to play. This doesn't work for everyone but it works for some people.

The cookie will be recreated so you have to keep deleting it over and over for each different video. Apparently this is a bug in Youtube's code.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 10:47 AM   in reply to fedism

For now I am using yahoo youtube player. Go to yahoo then use that player on videos.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 10:58 AM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I am having the same problem with Flash 10.2 and You Tube causing my screen to freeze and then go black.  Any solutions yet?  My computer has never had this problem until the Flash Update 10.2.

I am running XP 32bit, IE 8

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 11:14 AM   in reply to newsguy64

This may be farfetched but what kind of video content were you watching? I was watching illuminati project. Which may not be what governments want you to see.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 11:20 AM   in reply to mkp0203

Have latest adobe & ffirefox, ..tried ALL suggestions on this forum, firefox forum, youtube help....NOTHING WORKS . I am VERY angry!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 11:49 AM   in reply to mkp0203

NOTHING is working.

Why can't Adobe make a previous version available until this CRAP is FIXED??!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 11:51 AM   in reply to fedism

I was watching the standard news video , (or trying to watch).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 12:05 PM   in reply to ferrante1133

Go to yahoo.com search videos under them. It is youtube under yahoo.com thats what I am doing at the moment. Yeah no comments viewable, but vids yes.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 12:09 PM   in reply to mkp0203

Whatever Adobe updated on flash 10.2, they need to remove it. Or at least have the older version for people to download.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 12:19 PM   in reply to mkp0203

Found out a "fix" of sorts.

Replace the http:// with https://

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GAfTGbvhME&feature=related

I did have the black box as well, no video, sound, or anything. Doing this I was able to view everything just fine.

I originally had this issue on IE, and tested to FireFox, Safari, and Chrome with the same result.

Safari seems to have started working again on its own without the https as of right now.

I tested using https with IE, FareFox, and Safari and it does work.

I know this does not "fix" the issue. This seems to be a issue with the YouTube service itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 12:38 PM   in reply to eldar_storm

Thank you!

So far this is working for me in Firefox...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 12:52 PM   in reply to mkp0203

Experiencing same thing.  Flash is working on other sites but not YouTube.  Using Firefox and have Windows 7.  Tried uninstall, reiinstall, eliminating cookies (PREF) and other things and can't get it to work.  Just started happening today when I downloaded new version of Flash.  How do I get older version back so it works again until bugs gets worked out?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 1:49 PM   in reply to mkp0203

Flash aint working well with imageshack either, unless it used java which I doubt.

I get the same crap on youtube, black screen, turned HA off, still does it, deleted pref cookie, still nothing.

I think adobe released a dud with this one though, its going to be nice when flash aint required for anything but flash games.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 2:29 PM   in reply to mkp0203

I have this problem suddenly as well. I am running Windows Vista 32 bit, Mozilla Firefox, and Flash 10.2.

I tried restarting, uninstalling flash and plugins, and trying different browsers... all to no avail.

My mom's pc is able to run youtube fine.. and I was able to earlier today but then suddenly it stopped.

Any solutions? The links provided only seemed to apply to mac users am I correct?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 2:32 PM   in reply to mkp0203

eidnolb, can you help these folks like you helped me?

Spin45

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 2:41 PM   in reply to CheeZZyPiiZZa

Update for everyone:

Strange... the one thing I forgot to do was clear my cookies/cache, and so I just did it and now things are looking okay... not sure how long it will last though!

The exact steps I did?

Once the problem arose:

Restarted computer

checked to make sure everything and all plugins were updated

then uninstalled flash and the plugin

re-installed flash

unchecked and rechecked the hardware accel

then finally just cleared cache and now it is looking good.

Maybe this will help someone else out.

EDIT:

Just messed around a bit more.. stopped working again. I will say though, I have 4 separate outube tabs open, maybe that has something to do with it I don't know... but a solution would be lovely.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 3:07 PM   in reply to mkp0203

I SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!!

as mentioned another person here, I tried turning off hardware acceleration, reinstalling flash player, using a flash player cleaner executable, using different browsers (IE, Chrome, FF), disabling Windows Firewall, disabling Windows Defender, disabling Avast, scanning for malware, cleaning the registry and browser caches/cookies, restarting the computer (about 10 times now), trying older verisons of flash, NOTHING HAPPEND!!

THE SOLUTION:

In the internet explorer go to: Tools -> Internet Options -> Advenced -> Reset Internet Explorer Settings.

Yes, clicking that button i could get rid of that damn black screen.

now, i can watch videos in youtube normaly.

Im posting it, because i felt like you and I wasted a lot of hours  trying differents recommendation and those never worked..

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 3:14 PM   in reply to adrianodv

Do you know if there is a way to do this through Firefox like is there a similiar option?

adrianodv wrote:

I SOLVED THE PROBLEM!!!!

as mentioned another person here, I tried turning off hardware acceleration, reinstalling flash player, using a flash player cleaner executable, using different browsers (IE, Chrome, FF), disabling Windows Firewall, disabling Windows Defender, disabling Avast, scanning for malware, cleaning the registry and browser caches/cookies, restarting the computer (about 10 times now), trying older verisons of flash, NOTHING HAPPEND!!

THE SOLUTION:

In the internet explorer go to: Tools -> Internet Options -> Advenced -> Reset Internet Explorer Settings.

Yes, clicking that button i could get rid of that damn black screen.

now, i can watch videos in youtube normaly.

Im posting it, because i felt like you and I wasted a lot of hours  trying differents recommendation and those never worked..

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 3:28 PM   in reply to Spin45

Hi Spin45, Chris Campbell who has posted on this thread already about the UNchecking of the hardware acceleration and updating the video driver is one of the first things. Also clearing the cache.

Review this Troubleshooting Guide that Chris posted. It has several things to try. This latest Flash Player has StageVideo and as far as I know only Youtube is using it. There appears to be a glitch, but exactly what I don't know. Chris has more experience with that. I've only read about it on the Adobe sites. The following is for all platforms.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83952.html

A point about those using Win7 or IE9(final vs released 3/14). One of the features is called ActiveX Filtering. Win7 updated with a Service Pack 1. This Filter is included and now is with IE9 also.

To turn on ActiveX Filtering
    In Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, point to Safety, and then click ActiveX Filtering.

To turn off ActiveX Filtering on a specific website
    In Internet Explorer, click the Filter button in the Address bar, and then click Turn off ActiveX Filtering.

To turn off ActiveX Filtering on all websites
    In Internet Explorer, click the Tools button, point to Safety, and then click ActiveX Filtering.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/products/ie-9/fea tures/activex-filtering

Now for those that have a different OS, if you had no problem with the previous version of Flash Player, which is 10.2.152.26, you can Uninstall your current & Install that.

Make sure you have Security set to Medium for the Internet Zone (Tools>Internet Options)

Of course make sure your Shockwave Flash Object is Enabled in IE addons/Shockwave Flash likewise for FF.

That's all I have at the moment.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 4:15 PM   in reply to eidnolb

Eidnolb,

Thanks for taking the time to help out these folks.

Now that you've established a "rep" you're going to have to live up to it.

I'll talk to you next time around.

Spin45

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers