• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash 10.2 Issue - YouTube Black Screen of Death!!

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2011 Mar 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer runs Windows 7, 64 bit OS, and FireFox.

The problem is that whenever I go to YouTube and try to watch a video, there is just a black screen where the video should be playing. Video and audio do not work.

Can anyone help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm sorry you're running into this problem.  Could you try a couple of things for me?  First, please try updating your drivers to the latest version (ATI, Intel, NVIDIA). If that doesn't solve the problem, please go to this page and right click on the video.  Select "Settings" and then uncheck Enable Hardware Acceleration.  Restart your browser and try again.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chris,

I just did both of those. Updated my NVIDIA drivers and unchecked "Enable Hardware Acceleration." You should also know that I am not receiving video OR audio. The page loads, and its just a black rectangle where the video should be.

I have restarted my computer and no change...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ do you see the spinning flash logo or your installed flash version information?

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I do, and it works on all other sites, except for YouTube which I have seen is a problem for many

more people on the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to that list. I'm about to pull my hair out trying to figure out why my sister's computer suddenly lost its abilities to play ANY Youtube videos whatsoever earlier today. I'm presented with a black box of death, no audio, and the right click menu brings up the following options: "Movie not loaded / About Adobe Flash player.."

I've tried turning off hardware acceleration, reinstalling flash player, using a flash player cleaner executable, using different browsers (IE, Chrome, FF), disabling Windows Firewall, disabling Windows Defender, disabling Avast, scanning for malware, cleaning the registry and browser caches/cookies, restarting the computer (about 10 times now), trying older verisons of flash, NOTHING seems to work! The problem is strictly limited to Youtube. Hulu, Yahoo Video, and flash gaming sites function perfectly without error. I'm on my knees thanking God these shenanigans didn't happen to my main PC.

This is a big problem for my sister who's probably going to nag the heck out of me, leaving me with the option of reinstalling Windows (all because of a flash player mishap...) or letting her borrow my laptop until this problem is fixed.. if it does get fixed. The last time I asked for help here my problem wasn't solved. I don't want to be the bear of bad news, but I don't have faith that this problem will be solved either. But if it does get solved.. kudos to the techies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, yes, and yes again. I have the exact issue as well. It is total BS. I am what you would consider a "YouTuber," so this is really pushing my patience to the limit. I also watch The Office on Hulu and that is still working. I also play games on Kongregate.com (Flash gaming website) and that also works perfectly. It is just YouTube, and it gives me the exact same problem you described with the right-click reading the same as well.

I have not tried nearly as much as you have, just uninstalling and reinstalling flash and several other plug-ins, and restarting the computer several times. Also tried out IE, which it actually did work on, which is weird, but I do not use IE and do not plan on it, as I have been using FireFox for years now.

Someone please give me an answer that does NOT include reinstalling Windows!!

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list as well.

Using windows XP SP3 with chrome 10.

You tube was working fine today morning, I tried watching a video on YouTube in the evening and I got the black screen of death. It's the same with IE as well.

I've tried the options above and none have worked for me. I don't see any buttons at all anywhere, just a black rectangular box which on right clicking shows me a greyed out "Movie not loaded" option and an active "About .." option. Turned OFF add blocker, flash blocker, reloaded a couple of times, nothing seems to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2011 Mar 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the following (assuming you have Adobe Flash Player 10.2 installed): 1)  Restart your computer. 2)  Open Internet Options (located in the Control Panel). 3)  Click on the Advanced tab. 4)  Click on the Reset button, place a check next to Delete Personal Settings and then click Reset. 5)  Launch Internet Explorer and Adobe Flash Player 10.2 should now be properly enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with Flash 10.2 and You Tube causing my screen to freeze and then go black.  Any solutions yet?  My computer has never had this problem until the Flash Update 10.2.

I am running XP 32bit, IE 8

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be farfetched but what kind of video content were you watching? I was watching illuminati project. Which may not be what governments want you to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was watching the standard news video , (or trying to watch).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2011 Mar 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

I FIGURED OUT THE SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM THIS MORNING. Hope it helps others.

I have been going through the Forum trying to find an answer to my You Tube video freezing and then going black and requiring a hard shutdown and restart on my computer.  I posted the solution from my point of view this morning.  I am also have documented screen shots on how I got SAFARI to work when IE8 would not but I do not see how to attach my documented results to this posting or to you. Hope this helps you get to the bottom of Flash and IE8 because that is where the problem is at from my viewpoint.

I sent my previous replay to eidnolb this morning in this Forum. SAFARI WORKS PERFECTLY!!!  (IE8 DOES NOT WORK!)

Thanks,

newsguy64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newsguy64,

Not sure why IE8 is not working for you.  I'm running both IE8 and Firefox and Firefox is the one I had a problem.  Through the efforts of Eidnolb I was able to fix Firefox.  Now both are working fine and I can see and hear the videos on You Tube perfectly.  I'm running both these browsers in Win XP Pro w/sp3.

Hope you get your IE working.

Spin45

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi spin45,

Note my post on Safari browser.  Safari works great and much faster all around than IE.  I may never go back to IE at all.  I know Flash and IE will get the problem solved sooner or later but I no longer am concerned since I really like Safari and the extra benefits like the article reader etc. All is well with me.

Thanks for your input and response.

newsguy64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

newsguy64, I forgot I wanted to mention that late that night I did check that link in your Post#61 and it was good. I went somewhat further and found that exactly what Chris Campbell has been posting is also backed up by Youtube.

I also pulled out of this thread the helpful posts and now have a Folder with them. So I'll be adding to it when time permits.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi newsguy64 (con't)

Every solution that works has valuable information for the Flash Player Team and Youtube as they work this out. Have you seen Spin45's posts as what he has done and been able to update us?

Here is info from Chris Campbell:

For those of you running into video playback issues, would you mind following the system reporting instructions on the following page?  We're very interested in reproducing these problems and we'd like to get specific system details.  Any additional info like browser, browser version, URL and other hints would be greatly appreciated.

Reporting Flash Player video issues for Windows

This page describes the process of using DXDiag.exe and includes an email address that you can send the results directly to.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83952.html#main_For_Windows_users

OR for ALL Platforms:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83952.html

Hope you'll be able to use that above info.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this exact same issue and the way I resolved it was simply by uninstalling adobe flash player plugin and then reinstalling the most recent version of adobe flash 10.2 again then my problem was fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled, installed, but it didn't help me. I have read a comment on the youtube forum that said this is a youtube issue with playback on browsers. Some said they were able to see the videos on the person's channel page and others not. So, I don't believe this is an Adobe Flash issue. I say that because less than a day ago, all was ok playing any youtube videos.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=1f8dedeebb27d919&hl=en

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list. I have the exact setup as original post. Tried everything every

one else has tried with same results. No YouTube! Vimeo works perfect, the sample Flash video from YouTube even works (SWF test, Google Chrome ad). Pretty lame!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of 4:50am, Central Time, U.S. videos are play

ing fine for me now on youtube. Guess they sorted the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list...  It's looking like it's not fixed yet...  yesterday, unstalling the new Flash, rebooting, reinstalling fixed the problem and Youtube worked again for the rest of the day.  This morning, as of right now (8:50a.m. Eastern Standard), nothing but a black rectangle again, and no sound either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize if this has already been covered and I passed over it, but I found a temporary solution that allows for play of at least most Youtube videos.

-Update your browser to the latest beta version (for Firefox at least, for other browsers just make sure either the latest final version supports HTML5 or if not get the latest beta release).

-Then sign up for the Youtube HTML5 beta program.  This allows you to bypass the Flash player altogether, though it doesn't work for every video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue also. And it's BS you can't install a previous version of flash!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here only I can get youtube to play on IE. Any solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines