Skip navigation
Martyus
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro CS4 file import - no audio

Mar 20, 2011 10:01 AM

I have been using the Production Premium Suite CS4 for over a year, editing without problems AVCHD (MTS) files. I received a M2TS file and when importing into Premiere Pro, Encore, etc., the video is imported, but there is no audio track. On the same computer (Windows 7 64-bit), the M2TS file plays fine - with audio - via Windows Media Player, TMT5, etc.

Any ideas why the audio track is not getting imported into Premiere Pro (and other CS4 programs)?

Here are the M2TS file details:

File:
     Mux type : TS Stream
     TSMuxRate : 12.266 Mbps

Video:
     Encoding : MPEG2
     VideoStreamID : x240
     Frame rate : 29.97 fps
     Encoding size : 1920 x 1080
     Aspect ratio : 16:9
     Header bit rate : 65.000 Mbps
     VBV buffer : 976 KBytes
     Profile : Main@High
     Progressive : Prog or Int
     Chroma : 4:2:0
     Bit rate : 11.008 Mbps

Audio Stream: 1 (Primary)
     Codec : AC3
     Channels : 5.1
     Language : eng
     PID : x23E
     PES Stream Id : xBD
     Bit rate : 384 Kbps
     Sampling rate : 48000
     Sample size : 16 bits

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2011 10:43 AM   in reply to Martyus

If the search function is working today, do a forum search for

metadata

to read about needed information, for some cameras and files, being contained in the folder structure that is copied from camera to hard drive

If all you have is an individual file, it MAY be that PPro can't "see" the audio because some of the information is missing

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2011 11:27 AM   in reply to Martyus

Have you updated your CS4 to the very latest version?

AC3 Audio support was addressed by adding the Encore AC3 .dll to PrPro, through CS3. Then, there were issues with doing that in CS4. I think that it was not until CS4.2.1, that this issue was resolved.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2011 5:26 PM   in reply to Martyus

It was converted from a Windows Media Center .WTV file

That's probably the issue.  If you stick to using camera media, you'll probably have better luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2011 3:54 AM   in reply to Martyus

You record a TV show with a consumer utility, run it through a consumer muxing/demuxing/re-wrapping program, and then question whether Pr is professional software used by professionals based on how it handles that file?  IMHO, that's a complete non sequitur.

Professionals usually work with the original media.  When they're given "odd" footage to work with, they do whatever it takes to make it work in their project.  You are at the "whatever it takes" stage.

I used to use VideoReDo to split and join MPEG2 files, but I got spotty results.  Sometimes it produced usable output, sometimes it didn't.  There are many utilities like that, which is why I have a bunch of them in my arsenal.  When one doesn't work, another usually does.  Sorenson, MainConcept, Womble, VirtualDub, AviSynth, Lagarith, MPEG Streamclip, VLC, AC3 Filter, etc. are all tools that can get the job done when needed.

My question for you is why are you exporting as M2TS?  It's usually a file format that is used on Blu-ray discs, primarily intended for playback and not editing.  Why not just export from VRD as separate M2V video and WAV audio files?  Even if you got a VRD-produced M2TS file to work in Pr, it would have to be demuxed anyway for editing.  It's easier to feed Pr the elementary video and audio streams in the first place.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2011 4:15 AM   in reply to Martyus
    My comment about professional software was based on my experience where professional software is typically a superset of all other software "below" it, i.e. consumer, semi-pro, etc. That is, professional software can handle just about anything (i.e. file formats, syntax, etc) you can throw at it. Where the other way around, consumer level software, would never (typically intentionally) be able to handle the variety of data types, complex processing, etc.

In the multimedia production arena, sometimes the reverse is true.  For example, just try feeding Scenarist anything but a properly formed and encoded MPEG2 video file that perfectly conforms to the DVD specification.  I'm not putting Pr in the same league as Scenarist, but that program is as "professional" as it gets for DVD authoring, and it will refuse to ingest anything except a very specific kind of file.  I never worked with AVID products, but from what little I know about them, their high-end editors not only required specific hardware to run, but may also have been fussy about what assets they accepted.  AVID has been an industry standard for film and broadcast editing for years.

The curious part is that other programs (i.e. Windows Media Player and TMT5) can read the MPEG2 video track and AC3 audio track out of the M2TS container file without any problems.

The issue is that asking a program to edit video and audio is very different from asking a program to simply play video and audio.  Playback is a real-time, linear operation.  One frame, one audio sample follows the next.  Editing is non-linear, and all frames and audio samples have to be available at all times and in any order.  Instantly.

there are synchronization issues between the video and audio tracks and Pr sometimes has trouble playing audio for the AC3 track

It's possible that whatever VRD did to the M2TS that Pr didn't like, it also did to the audio stream.  Audio may be the core issue in this case.  Whether the problem started during capture, duriing import into VRD or during export is something that you'll have to figure out.  Try exporting the audio from VRD as an uncompressed WAV file if it'll let you.  Try other tools to demux or wrap the TV file.  You get the idea.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2011 12:09 PM   in reply to Martyus

That is, professional software can handle just about anything (i.e. file formats, syntax, etc) you can throw at it. Where the other way around, consumer level software, would never (typically intentionally) be able to handle the variety of data types, complex processing, etc.

With full pro-level source footage, this is true. PrPro handles a broad range of such footage. However, outside of the pro realm, PrElements actually handles many more types of consumer footage, and usually beats PrPro to inclusion, by a version, or two.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points