Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

No Audio in "Adobe Dynamic Link" to Encore

Mar 25, 2011 1:57 PM

I have a project in Premiere Pro CS5 that I have used "Adobe Dynamic Link" to bring the project over to Encore CS5.  The project comes over and I can see both the video and audio tracks.  The problem is that when I play the timeline the video plays but the audio does not play.  The same thing happens in Preview, video but no audio.  Both the video and audio play correctly in Premiere Pro CS5 before I bring the project over.

Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2011 2:22 PM   in reply to billkramer

Try to burn a copy and play it in a DVD player.  Is the audio still missing?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2011 2:51 PM   in reply to billkramer

Make sure that your audio track is turned on in Premiere... I sometimes turn a track off in Premiere and forget to turn it back on.

Gordon

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2011 6:31 PM   in reply to billkramer

Even if the audio was to render correctly on export from Encore I would still like to be able to use the audio within Encore when I am working on something.

Sure.  But burning to see if the problem persists is a troubleshooting procedure, just like building to a folder and playing that.  Sometimes a workaround gets a project done, but here, where something is not right, you need to test where the problem is, and is not.

The fact that the audio is there when exporting a file from Premiere is instructive.  What is the nature of the audio in the Premiere timeline, what are the project settings?

Another test worth doing, if you have not, is to transcode the sequence in Encore.  Is the audio now audible?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2011 2:27 PM   in reply to billkramer

Thanks for reporting that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2011 2:15 AM   in reply to billkramer

Hello. I have the same problem

My system is intel R core (tm) cpu 930@2.80 GHZ 6 GB 64-bit. X58A 4D3R

Encore worked fine, no problems at all. Burned many DVD's. This morning burned two, no problem. Both movie and sound were sent by dynamic link and worked fine.

Than suddenly with part two of the same tape I had worked on in premiere pro this morning (no problem), it went wrong. Sound was transferd to encore, but I could hear no sound when i played it in the timeline. I can also not burn the disc to see if the sound is ok because then encore stops working and I have to start it up again.

The first part of the tape is still fine in encore,sound is ok, burning no problem as i said i worked on it this morning.

But at this moment  every other project i sent with the dynamic link there is a problem with the sound. So something happened today, but what?????

Then I tried a VHS tape, no problem. Sound is ok in encore.......... But every DV tape is a problem after this moring.

Is this problem caused by PPro or by encore? I have spent more then two hours to try to find the problem, but i have no idea, specially because nothing changed compared to this morning when everything was working fine.

I looked at the sound divices, but everything is on.

I read a lot about problems with mpeg movies, the footage I work with 720x576/1,0940 32000HZ 16-bit stereo.

I also tried to export it from PPro to media into a AVI file, but then it does not start encoding.

Does somebody have an idea?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2011 4:11 AM   in reply to PV3981

I couldn't tell from the way you worded it: what was working this morning is still working?  Or it is also now failing?  In any event, some things are working (and I assume that means they are still working after the problem occurred), and that means that there is something different with what is now not working.

Than suddenly with part two of the same tape I had worked on in premiere pro this morning (no problem), it went wrong.

As you did, I would test part of this by exporting a short piece from Premiere (old that worked/works and new that doesn't) and examine those with mediainfo.

Did you do any audio processing with any of the audio?

I would do a short test to confirm that the part that worked before is working.  If you transferred the second part at a different time etc, I wou ld go back to that stage.  Was it shot at a different time?  I'd look at every setting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2011 4:54 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Thanks a lot for your quick reply Stan!!!

Well this morning I have sent part one of the same tape I have problems with now, to encore. And it all went well. I had sound and I was able to burn it on a disc.

But part two was not that easy, I sent it with the dynamic link to encore, but no sound. And when I tried to burn it, the program stopped working.

I few minutes ago I tried to sent a photo story with music to encore. And again no problem, sound was ok, burning was ok.

Well I'm very suprised, I did what you suggested, I sended a small part of  both of the clips to encore and they now both have sound!!! I''m very happy ofcourse but I still can not understand why. So I think it has something to do with the length of the clip? But I never had problems and my storage at this moment is 100 GB free of 931 GB.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2011 5:11 AM   in reply to PV3981
    I did what you suggested, I sended a small part of  both of the clips to encore and they now both have sound!!

This implies that you did not wait for audio conforming to finish.  When you import your long clips into En, open the Progress panel.  If the progress bar shows that conforming isn't finished, then you will not get any sound in the timeline.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2011 5:35 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

This implies that you did not wait for audio conforming to finish.  When you import your long clips into En, open the Progress panel.  If the progress bar shows that conforming isn't finished, then you will not get any sound in the timeline.

Earlier, I looked back over this thread, and saw the OP's conclusion: "Encore is doing processing in the background that is not indicated anywhere on the screen.  Waiting long enough for that background processing to be finished I now get both video and audio as I was expecting."

I almost added a note pointing out that you can see the processing, as long as you do what Jeff said - look at the progress panel.  Then I remembered that I saw that panel the other day when opening something, so...

I decided to do a "patience" test by opening a complex project (CS5) that is really not that long.  I get the little window "Open Project," which se3ems stuck at 17%.  I "impatiently" try to click something in the main Encore window, and I get "Not Responding" added to the Open Project. I, being patient (it is a test after all, not real life), keep waiting.  After probably 5 minutes, I get a white screen, then more disk activity, the the "Not Responding" leaves the little window. Now it seems stuck at 48%.  Oops, I hit a key accidentally, and the main Encore window goes "white" (it is actually very low opacity), and "Not Responding" is back in the Open Project window.  Now suddently, all seems well, and it is asking to locate an asset.  (This project had like 15 Premiere sequences in addition to a number of regular avi files.) I skip them, and the progress bar shows no progress.

So my test was in vain for showing anything about the progress bar, but certainly demonstrated that sometimes with Encore, you just have to wait!

Jeff, maybe that new and improved book on Encore could be called the Zen of Encore?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2011 5:48 AM   in reply to Stan Jones
    Jeff, maybe that new and improved book on Encore could be called the Zen of Encore?

I like that.

My original idea was for something like, "Coffee Breaks, Encore and Me.  How I Used Encore to Turn Work Time into Free Time"

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2011 7:55 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Hi Jeff,

The problem still occurs. I have emptied my disc and there is more then 150

GB space, so this can't be the problem anymore I guess.

I have sent the problem file again to enc and I opened the progress panel.

Nothing happened. It did not transcode and it did not conform audio. I

waited 30 minutes but still nothing happened. The progress bars were both

empty.

It is two hours later and I think I know were the problem is, but I still

can not understand it. I have cut the problem file in three parts.

The first part was ok in enc., I added the second part, no problem, sound

ok. But with adding the third part to the first two the problem arose again.

So the third part is the problem part. But why? The footage is only 14

minutes and the file is 617MB. In premiere pro the sound is ok.

I also sent only this part of the file with dynamic link to encore. And on

his own the file had no sound either. I saw no conforming audio in the audio

panel. Do you have any idea what can be wrong with the part of the footage?

2011/6/7 Jeff Bellune <forums@adobe.com>

I did what you suggested, I sended a small part of  both of the clips

to encore and they now both have sound!!

This implies that you did not wait for audio conforming to finish.  When

you import your long clips into En, open the Progress panel.  If the

progress bar shows that conforming isn't finished, then you will not get any

sound in the timeline.

>

-Jeff

>

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2011 8:13 AM   in reply to PV3981

I have cut the problem file in three parts.

ok. But with adding the third part to the first two the problem arose again.

I also sent only this part of the file with dynamic link to encore. And on

his own the file had no sound either.

Good troubleshooting.

"The file is 617 MB" This implies you exported it, etc?  If so, does the exported file play with sound?  If you bring it into a brand new test Encore project what happens?  (I would expect it not to play.)

What is the format of the files in Premiere? Including the audio?

The "on his own" suggests this is not the issue, but originally, was this one Premiere sequence on one timeline, or multiples?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2011 8:41 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Hello Stan,

"The file is 617 MB" This implies you exported it, etc? If so, does the

exported file play with sound? If you bring it into a brand new test Encore

project what happens? (I would expect it not to play.)

Indeed, the sound did not play.

720x576/1,0940 32000HZ 16-bit stereo.

was this one Premiere sequence on one timeline, or multiples?

*It is one Premiere sequence on one timeline. I cutted one peace out of the

sequence and only that part is giving trouble. The other two parts from the

same sequence on the same timeline have no problem.*

*Thank you so much for helping me. I live in Thailand and for me the day has

come to an end. Tomorrow I have to work so tomorrow evening I will be back.

Thanks a lot sofar!!!*

2011/6/7 Stan Jones <forums@adobe.com>

I have cut the problem file in three parts.

ok. But with adding the third part to the first two the problem arose

again.

I also sent only this part of the file with dynamic link to encore. And

on

his own the file had no sound either.

Good troubleshooting.

>

"The file is 617 MB" This implies you exported it, etc?  If so, does the

exported file play with sound?  If you bring it into a brand new test Encore

project what happens?  (I would expect it not to play.)

>

>

The "on his own" suggests this is not the issue, but originally, was this

one Premiere sequence on one timeline, or multiples?

>

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2011 9:14 AM   in reply to PV3981

If you change your Export settings to 48KHz 16-bit, do you then get the Audio in the Exported file for Part III ?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2011 8:27 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hello,

The problem is solved. I captured the bad part of the tape again from my

camera into adobe premiere. I sent to encore and I had sound. So I pasted

this new captured part into my project and this time the whole project

played well in encore. So is it possible this part of the file was *not

captured well* and because of that I had problems with sound in encore?????

Did anyone else ever experienced something like this?

2011/6/7 Bill Hunt <forums@adobe.com>

>

>

If you change your Export settings to 48KHz 16-bit, do you then get the

Audio in the Exported file for Part III ?

>

Good luck,

>

Hunt

>

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2011 12:51 PM   in reply to PV3981

I have encountered such, but then I have to forego ADL, and Export both Audio & Video, which are then Imported into En, since I am doing DD 5.1 SS. For me, the Export from PrPro, and then Import into En workflow has worked 100%.

I wonder what the exact issue was, with that Linked Sequence and that one Audio Clip?

At least your Encore Project is now working, so we may never know what En did not like about that Clip.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2011 8:37 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

I was having the same problem -- no audio after a dynamic link. I tried one suggestion, cleaning the audio cache (don't know if it did anything, but, in PPro, Edit/Preferences/Media, Clean media cache databalse), then I read this thread.

I opened the Progress window in Encore, and in fact, it showed partial progress on the Audio Conforming bar. I tried some footage near the beginning (2 1/2 hours long total), and I had sound, but there was no sound at the end, so this seemed like a good solution.

However...the computer was very sluggish, so I closed PPro and just left Encore running. I read elsewhere (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3365357#3365357) that PPro doesn't have to be open for the dyamic link to work. However, whatever the case, after I closed PPro, the "Audio Conforming" bar in Encore went blank, and I have no sound in Encore again.

I re-opened PPro (and re-cleaned the cache), but nothing has helped, and I'm seeing no progress in Encore. I'll just export/import the audio separatley, I suppose, but I wish the dynamic link worked as advertised.....

Anyway, this may serve as a warning.

Jon

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to Jon Forsyth

I had the EXACT same problem: great sound in PP, partial sound in Encore.  After I read the the replies above, I thought, "hmmm, maybe i's just timing.  Encore needs time to sort things out."  So I didn't change anything...and sure enough, after15 minutes of simply waiting, the entire sequence played with sound.  I'm not sure why it works this way but it does.  I looked in "Progress" and there was never anything there.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 2:16 PM   in reply to dgfitzpat

When I've had a problem with the audio not playing in Encore, I've found that if you open the Progress tab for your Dynamic Link asset the audio is usually still conforming and won't play properly until this is complete. From the menu bar at the top (on my Mac) it's just Window>Progress to open this tab.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 5:51 AM   in reply to KenatCintrex

Sorry to revisit an old thread, but I've just lost an entire day unsuccessfully trying to solve this problem.  Just like the original poster, I have passed a Premiere Pro (CS5) project to Encore via Adobe Dynamic Link, and end up with a DVD project with no audible sound.  I need the dynamic link route because I've spent time putting in a lot of chapter markers in PP and don't want to lose them. If I pass a fully functional, perfectly audible movie created in one piece of Adobe software (PP) to another (Encore) then it’s surely not unreasonable to expect that movie to play in both pieces of software without problems.

Enough ranting: here's diagnostic info.  The PP sequence is just under 90 minutes long, with 20 chapter markers.  All the audio (48 KHz) is within the Audio 1 track in PP.  It sends to Encore without a hitch, producing a timeline with a video and an audio track and all the chapter markers.  I’ve transcoded the sequence and I’ve burnt a DVD.  There’s no sound in the Encore monitor or preview, nor on the DVD.

I notice that when the PP sequence is first sent to Encore the audio plays.  But the Audio Conforming progress bar starts in, proceeds for about 25% of its length and stops.  After that the sound is gone.  I’ve tried the process with a short (10 min) clip of the sequence and get exactly the same effect.  I’ve exported the PP sequence to .m2v and .ac3 and imported those into Encore.  The Audio Conforming progress bar still gets only a quarter of the way across then stops.  There is no sound.  The ac3 file plays fine in VC Player (great for handling all sorts of audio files).

I’m at wit’s end.  Any suggestions will be very welcome indeed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 7:37 AM   in reply to FranktheOdd

I’ve exported the PP sequence to .m2v and .ac3 and imported those into Encore.  The Audio Conforming progress bar still gets only a quarter of the way across then stops.  There is no sound.  The ac3 file plays fine in VC Player (great for handling all sorts of audio files).

So it is not just a dynamic link problem. As a workaround to a dynamic link problem,  you can export from PR with Encore chapter markers, but not with the problems you have.

Did you use the MPEG2-DVD (rather than MPEG2 only) export settings?

What is the source footage and the PR sequence settings? Even though it plays in VLC, I'm guessing it is something in the file.

If I pass a fully functional, perfectly audible movie created in one piece of Adobe software (PP) to another (Encore) then it’s surely not unreasonable to expect that movie to play in both pieces of software without problems.

Yes, but...  The authorcore of Encore is Sonic. Also, the conforming is where this fouls up. Even though it is coming from PR, Encore checks it for suitability.

If you create a brand new project, and bring it in, what happens? What are your Encore project settins for audio? (Even though that shouldn't matter.)

I would use one of these to look at the exported file:

Gspot: http://gspot.headbands.com/

Media Info: http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download/

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Very many thanks for the kind and helpful comments.  Your first point shows where I had rushed to premature judgement (it's the first time I've used the Dynamic Link though I've previously made scores of DVDs with Encore).  Indeed the problem must be with something other than the dynamic link. 

Yes, I exported the file from PP with MPEG2-DVD export settings (had picked that possible source of problems on another thread).

The source footage is 720x576 (1.0940) 25.00 fps (PAL-B) with 48kHz stereo sound.  I just realized the sequence aspect ratio is 1.4587 (hangover from previous work): can that affect the sound ouptut?

You have convinced me my irritation with the Dynamic Link is probably unjustified.  Creating a brand new project and importing the mpeg and ac3 files still produces a silent sound track.  Will follow up your suggestions in the links.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to FranktheOdd

Further info.  Gspot shows the source footage to be MPEG-2 video and MPEG-1 Layer 2 audio.  Codecs for both are installed (would Premiere play the files if not?).  The exported AC3 file type is "Elementary AC3 Audio" mime type "audio/x-ac3".  The AC3 codec is installed.

I think I'm going to try reinstalling Encore in desperation.  I just opened an old project which included sequences IMported (as opposed to sent to) from Premiere via the dynamic link and that now doesn't play sound either.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to FranktheOdd

I think I'm going to try reinstalling Encore in desperation.  I just opened an old project which included sequences IMported (as opposed to sent to) from Premiere via the dynamic link and that now doesn't play sound either.

I think I'd jump to that step also. It is possible it is some other codec issue, but I'd go with the reinstall.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 9:40 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Bummer!  No joy with a reinstall.

Windows 7 sound settings are normal (output via speakers, record via stereo mix).  Premiere video and sound play just fine.  Encore project settings are at default transcode (MPEG2 with Dolby digital audio).  Aha: under edit quality presets the output is set for blu-ray, not standard DVD.  That's curious; I never asked for Blu-ray.  Change that.  Oops! Now I have a crash.  <Runtime error! Program: C:\... R6025 – pure virtual function call>.

Restarted to check further.  Edit quality presets>output adjusted to MPEG-2 DVD, scale to fit is grayed out.  Edit preferences>audio output device is speakers, that's correct.

I'm stuck!  This is just crazy.  I have essentially a nonfuctional Adobe Encore.  And digital audio is something computers nowadays normally handle without batting an eyelid.  Anyone got ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to FranktheOdd

Have you burned a test disk?

Are you getting sound in Encore at all?

If not, or if unclear, create a new Encore project, add a short clip of bars and tones from PR.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 10:26 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Yep, test disk was mute.

No sound in Encore at all: I did what you suggested with a short clip created as a PR project.  Imported sequence into a new Encore project and  it was mute straight after import.  I ran 'transcode now' and — whoa! — have a new error.  Adobe Encore Debug Event: [..\..\Src\Win\WinFile.cpp-758].  Causes program to crash.  That's a new one.  Does it mean anything to you?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points