Skip navigation
John Hawkinson 5,572 posts
Jun 25, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Customizing the crashreporter email address?

Mar 27, 2011 9:23 PM

CS5, OSX. Is it possible to customize the address to which the Adobe Crash Reporter emails crash reports?

Most people around here are reluctant to submit crash reports to Adobe, I guess mostly because they don't want to write them carefully. It might be nice to have them configured to send their crash reports to a local address, where we'd corral them a bit, enhance the writeup, and then forward them on to Adobe.

Is there some way to do this? Info.plist for Adobe InDesign CS5.app has an entry for "AdobeCrashReporterEmail," but changing it from it's default adobe.com address to something local doesn't seem to do anything.

And it appears that the string "AdobeCrashReporterEmail" doesn't appear anywhere in the app bundle:

Adobe InDesign CS5.app $ find . -type f -print0 | \
xargs -0 grep -i adobecrashreporteremail /dev/null
Binary file ./Contents/Info.plist matches
Adobe InDesign CS5.app $

I don't really want to reinvent the wheel...I realize that we can (and probably should) have some automation that runs through ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter and hunts for InDesign crashes, and perhaps I could write a wrapper script around Adobe Crash Reporter.app (or maybe something with AdobeCrashDaemon.app and/or AdobeCrashRealTimeNotification.app; not clear exactly how these pieces fit together).

(Can you tell we've been seeing too many CS5 crashes?)

Also, I have this feeling that I can't quite substantiate that not every crash that produces the Apple CrashReporter and the Adobe Crashreporter produces a file in ~/Library/Logs -- has anyone else noticed this? Maybe I'm just imagining things?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points