Skip navigation
Nick5209
Currently Being Moderated

WARNING: Adobe installs McAfee with Reader update!

Mar 28, 2011 9:32 AM

Adobe just sent me a notice that an update was ready for Adobe Reader... So I accepted it. A few minutes later, the update is all done. And Adobe tells me that it also installed McAfee! What the H is this? I was not asked if I wanted McAfee -- it was just installed automatically.

I always watch all warnings about installs during updates... and I use Vipre to catch sneaky stuff... there was no warning. Where did Adobe bury the McAfee during the install??

This is not acceptable. Last time I accept any Adobe updates until I get assurances this will never be done again. If this is Adobe's idea of piggybacking crap on updates, it sucks.

Then I go to the support page and request a callback to discuss this with someone. My phone rings. "1 person in the queue..." I've been waiting 23 minutes.

Is this the new level of "support" we can expect? Adware and half hour phone calls that YOU make to ME?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2011 3:17 PM   in reply to Nick5209

When my computer told me adobe wanted to update adobe reader I accepted and installed the update. It gave me an option on whether I wanted to install McAfee or not. I've read about other people checking to not install McAfee and still having it install anyway. I'm not sure if McAfee was downloaded despite me opting out because the reader update crashed my computer resulting in all my programs and files disappearing. Did you have any trouble with missing files from the update?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2011 3:44 PM   in reply to Nick5209

Can you please describe step by step what did you do to get the update?

The reason I am asking is that Adobe Reader Updater will not install McAfee under any circumstances.

You must've done something on your own, maybe went to Adobe web site and selected Reader installation.

If this was indeed something that looked like Adobe Reader Updater, you may have a virus and need to make sure that your system is not compromised.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2011 5:02 PM   in reply to Nick5209

Did you click "Download" button or "Details" link on the Updater dialog?

I am guessing later. This would indeed transfer you to the Adobe web site, where you probably traveled to the Adobe Reader Download center and got into download obscure McAfee option.

If you would click "Download" button, updater would do it's job of installing updates without installing McAfee.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points