Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

The file cannot be opened because of a header error

Mar 30, 2011 2:35 AM

Hello,

When trying to import images I receive the error message: The file cannot be opened because of a header error

- I´m using PrPro CS5

- Import file format .jpg

I have upgraded to CS5 from CS4, converted the sequence. It worked just fine in CS4.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Karl

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2011 5:32 AM   in reply to KarlV79

Welcome to the forum.

Try to open the image file in Photoshop (if you have it) and then re-save it.  Don't make any changes, just re-save.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2011 5:54 AM   in reply to KarlV79

That's bad.  It's possible the file is corrupted.  Do you have backup from which you can restore the file?

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 12:10 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

What if it opens in Photoshop without any issues but won't open in Premiere and still returns the "...header error" message, even after re-saving from Photoshop? This is in reference to importing a .jpg file in Premiere Pro CS6.

Thank you,

Matt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to Matt_@_CPS

Resave as a PNG, then do a Replace from inside PP.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to Matt_@_CPS

Another option to the PNG, that Jim mentioned, would be to Save_As PSD, and Import that.

Even PS is very sensitive to poorly formed JPEG headers. Other programs, like the free IrfanView, not so much. When I encounter JPEG issues, I just attempt to Open in IrfanView, or another such program, then Save_As JPEG, at the highest level (lowest level of compression). To date, if the JPEG will Open in the other program, the Save_As has gotten me a file, that PS will Open just fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Welp, saving as a PNG worked but I forgot that I originally created the file at 320x240 when I was working in Windows Movie Maker. So it's too small for my 1440x1080 sequence and I now have to recreate it. Facepalm! Thanks anyway!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to Matt_@_CPS

Matt,

Glad that the PNG worked, and sorry about the resolution. I've been there too.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 5:14 PM   in reply to KarlV79

I had the same issue today. Figured it had to be something else. Checked the image in Photoshop. Goto IMAGE, MODE and see if it's CMYK Color. Change it to RGB color and save. That fixed it for me (saving it as jpg still).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points