Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

External Hard Drive Install- Mistake??

Mar 30, 2011 3:17 PM

I hope this makes sense... I may have made a big mistake installing my Photoshop Elements 8 on my external hard drive. When I received my license activation code, I was at work and wanted to install the software to use at home on my laptop, but my laptop has no hard drive space left for a larger program like this- so I decided to install it on my external drive which has massive space available.

I understand this is not a "portable" program and intended to only use it on my home computer, and also understand that you are allowed 1 install on up to 2 computers with one activation each (from what I have read in other discussions). So when I initially installed the program to the external drive using my computer at work, I understand that it wrote files on the registery for my C drive on my work computer. I opened the program after install and activated it with no problems. When I got home, I wanted to actually try the software out and use it, only to find out it would not open the program on my laptop and told me I needed to restart to fix the problem "Error 6" or contact Adobe if it still would not open after restart. Well... I got nowhere with Adobe support. So I finally re-installed the program using a different file name, installing it once again on my external hard drive due to lack of drive space on my laptop. It was once again activated and it opened and works just fine since I have been using it this past week.

Now the question I have, is have a made a mistake by installing it on my external drive? And by installing it twice, one with a different file name?? Why I worry, is because I want to open the program at work now to do a quick edit (I haven't tried to open it again on my work computer after the first install and activation, I have only been using it at home on my laptop), and I fear that if I open it again using the first install application file I did on my work computer, when I go home and go to open and use the program again using the second install application file on my laptop, I might receive a similar error and not be able to use it at home any longer and then only from my work computer.

So if I have the program installed twice under different file names on my external hard drive, and both my laptop and work computer have files written to the registery to run the program, would if cause problems and cancel out one or the other so it will lead it to no longer work on my laptop by opening it again at work? I have utilized my two installs and activations and do not want to screw it up worse than I already have and not be able to run the program at home, which is my main place of use!

Thanks in advance for any help or info! 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2011 5:46 PM   in reply to angelinamarie3

You can install it as many times as you want.  You can only have 2 activated copies at any one time, and you can run PS from only one computer at a time.

Yes it does confuse issuses to have an extrernal drive program and have some files on the C drive.

If you do not intend to run windows at work, I would take in the external dirve, start PS and then deactivate it.  Also, before you get laid off or they transfer you to another computer be sure to deactivate.  You can then install  on another computer.

It is a little strange, and hope it works.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2011 9:37 PM   in reply to angelinamarie3

Generally speaking, what you've done is kind of atypical.  The software really does want to be installed permanently on each computer.

When you say "it is installed twice on the [external] drive"...  Do you mean it's in two different folders, chosen by you during installation?

If you've kept the two installs completely separated in different folders, and the drive always shows as the same letter each time you plug it in, it's possible it will just work.

You really just need to try it and see.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points